Why do anxious feelings create the need to go to toilet frequently?

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

Anonymous
Anxiety puts a stress on our bodies. Sometimes this can make muscles scrunch up, thus squeezing whatever is inside us out.
ffmedic
Have you ever seen a dog, especially an indoor dog get anxious when someone comes to their house and they pee right on the carpet even though they're potty trained? Its kind of like that. Your nervous system is linked to all parts of your body even the bladder. When my parents separated, I didn't know I was having a rough time with it until I had to go to the doctor because I thought I was diabetic. I was peeing nearly ever half hour when I went to visit my mother. At home with my father and grandmother I had no problems. I linked it to soley when I went to my mother's and I had to go see a counselor. She told me that when you have anxieties and fear it can make a person have to pee a lot and frequently. I had to start doing things to help relieve my anxieties before I was able to get back to a normal urinating schedule over there. It didn't matter for long, my folks got back together and I didn't have that worry. But this is a pesky problem that can also develop in your bowels. If you are having trouble, or are concerned see a therapist or a doctor or talk to someone you trust about it. Even talking can make a person feel better. Don't be shamed over this. Its a normal occurrence.
Anonymous
For me, when I am about to leave the house I think its something that just stuck with me as a kid. every time we left the house, we were told a zillion times, to make sure we didn't have to use the bathroom before leaving anywhere. Now that I'm an adult, I'm just so used to doing it plus I don't like using public restrooms. I'm a bit a of a fear of germs on public restrooms and how sanitary they really are.
Helgaleena
This is part of your body's fight-or-flight response. It means the anxious feelings or stressful situation is affecting your body physically. Time for #selfcare
ChaiTeaLatte138
Anxious feelings cause a wide array of things to occur in the body such as the release of stress hormones. Long story short, this is a caveman thing that has remained with us as part of the fight or flight response. We are lighter with empty bowels therefore we can run faster/fight better. This response is a hinderance in our modern era with toilets, bathrooms, and stress. It can be crippling for people with anxiety disorders.
Elvalight
This would be the stress anxiety creates on your stomach. Your muscles tighten, and your digestion can also be a bit messed up because of this.
JustHereForYou20
Your body seems overwhelmed and it's a way to release that stress. Our bodies can only hold so much and when presented with an escape button it will do so to keep you balanced
Doodlebug1
The adrenaline in your body will try and help you to lighten your body mass. It's part of the fight or flight response that helps your system prepare for any possible attack. Though it's not very useful now we aren't cavemen! But it's very normal
SympatheticPrune2001
The bowels and bladder tend to loosen and lose control when you are anxious and as such you need to go to the loo more.
Anonymous
Anxiety is a form of excitement, though usually related with stress. It causes the system to constantly stay in "flight or fight" response causing immense strain on the normal functioning of the body. Due to this sympathetic and parasympathetic hormones are released which increase one's urge to go to the toilet. Also it causes the adrenal glands to function at high rates and thus as adrenaline increases under stress, it has to be removed from the system as well, hence the urge to go to toilet frequently. Hope it helped :)
Anonymous
The question can be perceived in two ways,one: it may be because you find your space, where there aren't many people, and you have a place to breathe and vent your anxiety a bit. Two: The need to go to a toilet is a physical reaction to your anxious feelings. It's really in the mind, as you don't usually need to go in those situations.
intelligentTruth42
(Overly simplified) When you feel like you are threatened and your fight or flight response is triggered, one of the things your body does is make you pee now instead of later. The idea behind it is that if you do end up having to fight for your life, or run away, better pee now when you detect danger instead of waiting until you're in the middle of it. Like any physiological response, it varies in degree. If you just feel a little freaked out, you'll feel an urge to pee. If you see a car about to T-bone you for real, you better have a change of underwear in the glove compartment.
Anonymous
I feel anxiety and stress are related. A part of the stress response changes includes causing the body to eliminate waste as quickly as possible. Many people feel the urge to go to the washroom when they are anxious or stressed. It is a common anxiety and stress reaction.
AutumnLeigh
Anxious feelings send adrenaline into your system- your brain's 'fight or flight' mechanism. Unfortunately, adrenaline messes with the digestive system and the way water and food are processed. This can cause the urge for frequent urination or even diarrhea. Many people with Anxiety often also experience chronic IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), which can be controlled by seeing your doctor for the best recommended treatment.
MishaTheOnion
I am not a doctor. But a guess is that anxiousness (stress) have a correlation to increase in stress hormones. They work in way that prepares the body for fight or flight situation. One of the parameters these hormones affects is the increase in waste secretion (the more energy the body uses during stress, the more by-product needed to be removed). Thus the frequent visit to the toilet
Fyn
This feeling is completely fine and natural. Anxiety comes from our ancient ancestors as its a natural sensor for danger which in turn kept them alive. Part of the response is to prepare to body to run or or fight which results in many changes in your body. However one of these is to make our body as light as possible which means clear your bowels and your bladder of the stuff you body no longer needs. So this is why humans today get a similar effect when we are anxious or scared
Anonymous
Anxiety is a result of the flight and fight response in our bodies. In order to 'flee' or 'fight' against the threat the body undergoes in this state of release, in order to facilitate escape or fight.
Anonymous
This is due to the increased fight or flight response. When we are anxious our bodies think that we might need to improve our ability to fight or escape, getting rid of any waste is an effective way to do this
TaranWanderer
There were found to be links between anxiety and your digestive bacteria, so it's a normal symptom. It's a reaction from your body, just like when you get scared your heartbeat increases. Anxiety has reactions all throughout your body, including your gut.
Kevan
Anxious feelings result in frequent toilet visits and bowel problems because nervousness disturbs your metabolism. Stress triggers physiological changes, digestion among them.
Anonymous
No idea lol but I'm pretty sure if you talk to a doctor or a family member they will have the answer .
SockmonkeyJanto
Frequent urination is a common anxiety symptom. anxiety and nervousness can be interpreted by our body as stress. The stress response secretes stress hormones into the bloodstream where they travel to targeted spots in the body to bring about specific physiological, psychological, and emotional changes that enhance the body’s ability to deal with a threat. One of these changes results in our body's attempt of dispelling all waste product from the body.Its a perfectly normal response to anxiety, and relaxation techniques and avoiding situations that stimulate your anxiety can help prevent this.
Anonymous
The activation of the sympathetic nervous system also commonly reffered to as the flight or fright response results in the physical symptoms we attribute to anxiety. Namely tremors,palpitations,pupil dilatation,dry mouth and frequency of urination.
SongForTheSoul
October 22nd, 2017 2:51am
I find this happens when my body gets overwhelmed with the emotions associated with stress or anxiety. Gastric issues are a very common side affect of these types of situations. The mental tension we feel unfortunately can cause tension in our organs. So when the gastric muscles are tensed, they tend to want to release anything that may be in there. The more you relax and the anxiety goes away, the less frequent these episodes occur. Having over the counter medication on hand is always a good idea if this is one of the main side affects of your anxiety/stress.
hipsta
There’s a whole lot of science behind that. Basically when we’re anxious, adrenaline is released in the bloodstream, which increases the heart rate. Higher heart rate means blood circulating through the body at a faster pace – going through the kidneys and being filtered at a faster rate. Faster filtration results in an ‘increased need to go to the toilet’. In short: 1. Anxious = adrenaline released (response) 2. Adrenaline in blood = Heartbeat increased (response) 3. Increased heartbeat = blood flows at a faster rate than usual 4. More blood flow = blood passing kidneys faster 5. Faster circulation through kidneys = faster filtration 6. Faster filtration = more pee
Anonymous
The toilet is a place where there is no people around. A small secure place where you are alone and can calm down.
Anonymous
Anxiety causes the body to over work, because the brain is trying to calm its self down, for some the brain makes the body want to urinate, for others it might be something else. It’s usually contractions around the stomach and gut area.
KaianaM
One can feel the need to go to the toilet often when they are feeling anxious because the nervousness can make your stomach turn or hurt, also the fight or flight system is activated, pressure builds up inside of the body which can make stool feel like it needs to come out.
braveDog31
Has to do with your brain and the fight or fight that is going on inside of the persons head this can act in different ways depending on the person dealing with anxious thoughts.
Easylistener
January 31st, 2018 8:15pm
Adrenaline is pumped by the body when you feel anxious, and that puts pressure on the bladder. It's the fight or flight response. It's just a natural body response.