Why do I always perceive the worst about something that doesn't even exist?

Susan Carter, PhD LP

Sometimes you just need someone to listen, who gets it, who sees hope, who knows where to start and what steps to take. I can be that someone.

Dawn04
It sounds like you are over-anxious. Anxiety rarely makes sense and comes on even if there's nothing to stress about.
KittyMoose
I am always in the fear of the unknown. The flight or fight response is always at the ready. When dealing with issues I am unfamiliar with, I will often put myself in the other's persons shoes; but when dealing with myself I have no other shoes to be in. I expect the worse because I dont know any other way.
VanessaD92
That's what anxiety does to a person! We can also anticipate the worst in order to not to let down if the worst happens. It's an unfortunate thing our brain does to protect us from getting hurt.
GivingstonTreegull
People may perceive the worst outcome because it often seems like the more likely scenario. Especially if you are a negative person.
Manifestation
Your mind is a powerful tool. It creates realities wherever you steer it to and such it is important to realize as such a powerful tool the means to be able to control it. As you can perceive the worst, you also have the ability to perceive the best. When you recognize the dualities of life you in turn are able to see the power of a mind and begin to steer it to creating realities of strength, empowerment and ability.
iouty
December 22nd, 2015 11:03am
It is common to perceive the worst about something that doesn't even exist because it is difficult to understand intense emotions. It is easy to self sabotage yourself into thinking you are much worse, lazier, heavier, worthless than you really are.
salomons
This is a pattern. You developed that pattern for a good reason. You might be looking for protection. Rather focus on the future you wish to have.
SpaceAngel
Aha, Anxiety !!!! its called Anxiety my friend...thats how anxiety works...maybe you were judged in the past or people treated you badly, so you always think, what if this happens or what if that happens, to avoid something like that happening again,,or maybe its because you love yourself too much, :)
Anonymous
There could be many reasons and none of them has anything to do with your value as a person. Sometimes it's anxiety, or stemming from previous trauma. When we face this emotion of worry,or when we stay present in the moment we may find that the feeling of imminent danger fades away gradually within an hour, making us re-evaluate the integrity of that thought that caused the anxiety in the first place :) Good luck