Why do I always think I've got cancer?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

MissesOliver
February 22nd, 2018 8:49am
It could be your biggest fear and you just can't stop letting your brain go to that extreme. It's a scary thing and something that I've been worried about since I was young as well.
Joyfulsmile
I think it is Health Anxiety It means that you is living in fear that you have a serious illness, even though you are well. You may not feel well, you probably have physical symptoms in your body and you are constantly worried that you have a serious disease.
Nuki6
This might be sort of a anxiety and i think you should check your health first and if you still have that feeling then you should really think about anxiousness.
charmingsmiles
April 2nd, 2016 2:39am
You may be a hypochondriac, or someone who always thinks that they have a serious illness. The smallest discomfort or pain makes them worried, even if a doctor tells them they are fine.
GoddessOfBlossoms
At first, you need to find out if you really have a cancer. You can ask a doctor for that to prove if you really have and so that you can be treated early. If you have non and you really always think that you have a cancer consult a psychiatrist. You might have HYPOCHONDRIASIS. It's when a person interprets the slightest physical changes in their body as a sign of serious illness, as what you say, cancer.
skylerraber1234
I tend to always think the worst when it comes to me being ill thats probably because all my life I heard the motto "pray for the best, prepare for the worst". So, in many situations I think people are like me and try to prepare the mind for news like cancer if an illness is present. Also, technically speaking every human being has "cancer" it just haven't multiplied for effected us yet.
Anonymous
Because you focus more on negativity around you and less on positive atmosphere and love around you.
Anonymous
It sounds like you're experiencing some health anxiety. When we notice something different about our bodies, whether it's a sore throat, lump, bump, or even a headache, our minds might automatically assume the worst case scenario, which is often cancer or an incurable disease, when we are experiencing health related anxiety. We operate in a cycle of "what-if" and often seek reassurance from friends, family, the internet, and medical professionals. I'm sending you hugs because experiencing health anxiety can be very scary and frustrating. We often recognize that the worst case scenario is not likely, but our minds still experience the anxiety and go through the "what-if" thinking like it is. If you are in any doubt, you can always check with your licensed medical professional regarding any health concerns as well as any anxiety concerns.
M4hir
This is a sort of anxiety. Sometimes it may not necessarily be because somebody feels afraid of death or the illness itself but because they may not be able to achieve their dreams or goals - however you’d like to put it. However, if you realise there’s nothing positive above. That’s because cancers associated with bad connotations and we don’t realise we can treat it to some extent and some cancers are completely riddable. At an early diagnosis survival is greater. It’s important to consult about these worries if one’s constantly experiencing these thoughts as the more one stress’s out. The more will these thoughts continue to invade precious time and space in the mind.
Anonymous
Too much WebMD. I'm kidding, of course. I have the same worry/anxiety. I've been to the doctor several times and every test comes up negative. I console myself knowing it's better to be cautious, but it's so difficult to live with the anxiety. I have chronic bladder pain and worry that these symptoms will one day cover up the pain of something horrible like cancer. But think about it: what would you do differently if you actually had cancer? Have you seen the doctor regularly? Have you expressed your fears? Do you feel like you've done what you can? Think about what you're really anxious about. Is it the lack of control? Is it death itself? Is it feeling like you haven't yet lived?
Anonymous
Believing you have cancer or any other serious illness could be due to a few different reasons. 1. Does the person have a family member or family members have suffered and or died from cancer. Not all cancers are hereditary, but some people in the family are more susceptible to developing some type of cancer. 2. Does the person suffer from a form of anxiety. Cancer is a serious illness, and can sometimes be terminal. If a person suffers from some type of anxiety, they may worry or be anxious a lot from fear of developing cancer. 3. Then are some people who suffer from a mental health condition called Hypochondria. They constantly worry they are going to get sick with something or always think they are sick with something.
inspades
You aren't alone! It's probably three factors. First, you probably have a personality that thinks big picture and long-term, causing anxiety. In other words you tend think about death more than most. Second, we live in a world where news reports and internet resources can fill our heads with all kinds of health concerns. Third, you may have some kind of health issue that has similar symptoms, like fibromyalgia or arthritis. Between these factors it's no wonder that many of us get worried about cancer or other life-threatening issues. What to do about it? Pay attention to your feelings of fear and worry, don't try to push them away or pretend they aren't there. Pay attention to the fear as long as you can. This will help to clear the emotional fog so that your mind can logically decide if you should get more tests done. Personally, I've gone through tons of testing due to the same fear. I don't know if I'll ever get over these fears. But I am slowly accepting the fact that it's not reasonable to go to the Dr. for every little symptom. So I'm only going if the symptom is persisting for a couple months. I've also learned that no one can "feel" what illness he has, so there's no point in speculating. Only modern tests can determine whats actually going on, and I'm only going to get those after a couple months of persisting symptoms. Also I'm learning to manage anxiety generally. Good luck!
Hazikk
why dont you consult your doctor and share this feeling you have. I am sure that your doctor will help you get over such thoughts.
breathealine
It's a common topic in modern media, and everyone finds themselves prone to symptom by suggestion. It's much easier to cope with if you have a label for it, and as cancer encompasses many areas of illness, it often seems to fit the situation. If it is a serious concern, it is better to see a health professional than to diagnose.
Anonymous
It might be nerves. Or not having an answer. Some aches and pains are not always specific to a certain condition. And that may make you anxous.
919angela
that s cause you think negative try to think positive cause if you think positive you will have nothing to lose and will help to feel better and happier and just to prove you are healthier visit a doctor and do analysis
StormyAngles18
Most likely it could be paranoia. The reason why I say that is you may have research symptoms on line or heard of it through watching tv or something and in doing so you may experience them and automatically think its cancer when it probably isn't . But if you feel that you have cancer see a doctor to give you more assurance if needed.
LittleBecky
Because cancer is such a big thing, you could be a hypochondriac and the smallest symptom or feeling can make you think of cancer, the internet has a big play in this for the blame.
Anonymous
Have you gone to the doctor and been diagnosed with cancer? If you have gone to the doctor and you've been diagnosed with cancer. You should listen to options he recommends. You can then take his advice or not. However, a listener will always be here to support you regardless of your decision.
YourePerfect
Maybe you've got someone in your family or close friends who have died on cancer? Or maybe you're just too much concerned about your health, this might be a sign of depression.
Refridgegator
The availability heuristic may be at play. You can come up with specific examples of people suffering from cancer, and therefore, it seems more likely to happen. People also fall victim to this way of thinking about airplanes, and cruise ships. They think it is likely (even though statistically it is pretty rare) that their boat will sink (the titanic) or their plane will crash (lots of examples) because they've heard about it happening to others.
Anonymous
Because you are afraid that you might have cancer, you are stressed out, realx and chill, go out take walk, read positive stuff :)
moonchild29
Perhaps it's hypochondriac? That's when you always thing something really serious and bad is happening to you (especially related to health). Take a medical check to ease your mind. I hope you're well. :)
Anonymous
Influences in the media can leave us very paranoid, especially if a family member has it. I would suggest seeing a doctor to put your mind at ease.
HelpWisely
Because you have conditioned your mind to think in this way. It could also be that you have a deep fear of cancer so you unconsciously bring this though to manifest from your mind.
Anonymous
I think you should get a check up.. actually anyone is at risk at getting cancer but then it depends on how you look after your own health. So rather than worrying, its better take up tests.
SquishyRaspberries
It sounds like you may have hypochondria. Hypochondria is a common medical condition where you are very anxious about your health. It's a good idea to see your doctor to make sure everything really is okay. This will both help dissuade your fears and potentially lead you in the right direction to getting help with your condition.
softNutella25
Have you ever known or do you currently know someone who does have cancer? Cancer is an awful disease (my mother has had it twice and I've had other family members die from it) so it is understandable that you would feel fearful and anxious. If it's starting to affect your life, consider talking to a professional about your fears.
Anonymous
It sounds like you assume the worst case scenario when something goes wrong health wise. You should try and start assuming it's something less serious. (But if it seems bad then get it checked out)
Anonymous
I have the same mental obsession... for me this fear is linked to the ambivalent emotions to the end of life, especially present when I am under stress