Why do I always think I've got cancer?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

Anonymous
Have you spoken to a medical professional about how you always think you have cancer? This may be a symptom of a treatable condition such as hypochondria.
Zac001
Sometimes anxiety can make us fear the worst. I assured myself I had HIV once, for no reason on than I read an article about it. Fear of something that is out of our hands is tough to deal with.
Anonymous
That happens to me too! I have this freckle on my lips and I keep on thinking it is skin cancer. Try to consult a doctor to confirm it
Supergirl94
Do you go to WebMd or any similar medical sites? That could be a big reason ;) Or if you keep looking up every single symptom you feel and keep finding results to cancer. Or you may be paranoid you have cancer because you don't want to die or to find out the bad news, of an illness that could take your life and that could take everything from you. Or maybe its a gut feeling you should follow. Really there are so many reasons, trust your instincts
ListeningBunny22
Honestly, I think you have a soft spot for people with cancer, but yet to realize. Just know you're not alone
wonderousWaterfall34
It's possible that you are suffering from hypochondria. This means you constantly think something is wrong with your body. However if you truly think something is wrong talk to your doctor.
Anonymous
Cancer is very scary. It's also a very popular topic. It can subconsciously be on your mind which makes you fear you have the symptoms of it.
Phillestertheangel
If you really do think you have cancer, then you should tell your parents and your doctor. It is important to make sure that you don't have cancer.
caringdaisy
You could be a hypochondriac. A hypochondriac is someone who believes they have a sickness and is truely worried about it and is scared of getting sicknesses. You will feel like you have the symptoms and will feel sick even when you are perfectly fine. If you are truely worried about cancer - go see a doctor to get your mind at ease.
Anonymous
You could be a hypochondriac or if your family has a history of it-maybe it's just paranoia? If you really feel like you might have, be on the safe side and go get tested if you're able.
Anonymous
You may experience the symptoms of hypochondriasis, fear of disease. Other mental struggles may be a cause for that.
JUST2ME
Maybe because people talk to much about it. Please consult a doctor and if he says that you don't have it everything is fine :)
BrightPup
A lot of people have worries about their health. I know I have certainly jumped to the worst conclusion at times myself. Sometimes a worry like "I must have cancer," can just be a sign that you care a lot about your health! If that's where the worry comes from, it can be helpful to think about actionable steps you could take towards supporting a healthy life. For example, taking a walk or swapping a dessert for a fruit every now and then.
AbigailRae1
Thinking that you have an illness such as cancer could be a phobia called hypochondria or also known as health anxiety, maybe get checked for peace of mind.
Anonymous
Health anxiety is a legitimate category of anxiety. If you worry about this a lot or about other health conditions, you might have a bit of an anxiety problem a therapist could help you work on. If it's happening occasionally, it might just be a reaction to how scary cancer can be and how often it's mentioned in the media, in routine medical testing, etc.
Anonymous
Anxiety can often lead to misconception and constant worrying about health. Be sure to contact a reliable doctor and avoid any unreliable sources. Confidence in your health helps, so check up with a doctor when you can!
peacefulkat
It could be because someone in your family has cancer or someone really close to you has died from cancer or they have it. You could look at the symptoms and think you have it and worry that you might have it.
Anonymous
If this is a reoccurring thing in your life then you should consult a trained professional. There are mental illnesses where you believe that you have a life-threatening illness.
KawaiiG
It seems like you are suffering from hypochondria. This is a condition where you think you have a severe disease. I have dealt with this for four years, and it left me with anxiety and PTSD from years of unjust paranoia over something that did not even happen. I really hope that you do not have cancer, but if this is related to hypochondria, please seek help immediately! Also, just to ease your worry, please feel free to visit a doctor soon just to ensure that you are okay!
Hatake510
Our brain thinks about the worst possible situations that could happen to us. It's common for a person to think they are suffering from something tragic. One could be very anxious about these things and worry a lot. It's recommended to take a walk or exercise to move on from such thoughts.
Anonymous
It's called "health anxiety", some people have this condition. Maybe you're having these thoughts because you are insecure about your health and are afraid of losing it, or are afraid of dying. It's normal to worry about your health but if it gets in the way of living a fulfilling life without fear, then it's worth discussing with a therapist.
Kanga
It is common for people with anxiety to take something and think of the worst possibility. We've all done it before. If you are seriously concerned, just go see a doctor and they can put your worries to rest.
VanessaGraceStory
There could be many reasons why you always think you got cancer. A few examples could be that you might be health cautious, afraid of getting ill or sick, ocd, you might have an intuitive feeling and unsure why you feel that way, your experiencing the symptoms, etc. You'll have to ask yourself this question and figure out why that may be. You could get tests done to see if it's true or if you have done tests and you still feel you might have cancer then maybe you feel they we're wrong or something. You would know yourself and your situation better then anyone else would for sure.
Anonymous
Maybe you have in some way convinced yourself that you do. I imagine you probably think so because you're likely a negative person afraid of any disease. And somehow, this has affected you fearing that you have a very serious one.
ThoughtlessDesign
Because death is frightening, and anxiety builds way too easily. Regular doctors visits will catch cancer, so try not to obsess over things that aren't likely to occur.
readingDream88
If you've experienced a loss of someone close to you who had cancer, you might just be paranoid about getting it, as a way of coping with the grief. You might also be a hypochondriac - a person has a lot of anxiety and preoccupation about having one or multiple illnesses.
Anonymous
That might be health anxiety. Its a type of anxiwty where you believe you have an illness. However, you should visit a doctor so that they can tell you what is happening
Anonymous
Media is talking a lot about diseases and that makes people worry about their health. When you hear about cancers you think you got one to but you don’t actually have one. Try to avoid these kind of topics and you will releafe.
Egowanderer26
The Internet, television, and the media are always full of stories concerning health and particularly cancer. Sometimes having something constantly being betrayed into our lives, it can create this feeling. It seems like everything today can cause cancer, so it's not a surprise that this is a question. Having routine cancer screening and check ups can help give reinsurance.
It is not unusual to think that you are very sick whenever you feel physically bad. There is a lot of talk, maybe too much, about cancer in the media so it is pretty obvious that whenever we feel sick our mind goes there. The only way to find out is to see a doctor