Why do I always think I've got cancer?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

mitch63
While ti sounds as if you are struggling with anxiety or possibly feel obsessed by this thought process, would you be willing to tell me more about your your current situation and/or your family history? Have you found it to interfere with your daily activities? Or have you lost somebody close to you from cancer? Are their any images that arise for you as you share this with me or any one specific image that speaks to you more loudly than others? I'm sorry to learn that you struggle with such thoughts but maybe by sharing some response with me you may be able to get a better insight to it prevalence.
Anonymous
If you think you've got cancer then maybe go to the doctor and find out what's happening. it's fine if your worried, lots of people are when they find out new things about their future. if your losing hair, then it doesn't mean its 100% cancer, it can be just hair loss that needs to be treated. you could ask someone close to you to come with you to the doctor or you can do some research but I suggest going to your doctor to find out what's happening and so you won't be worried that much. I hope you find out what it is soon. good luck!
AvaDiamond
I struggle with the same issue, but with ALS. Although I cannot diagnose anyone, health anxiety and hypochondria are very scary and surprisingly common issues. I think the fear of your body fighting against you and losing control is a main factor in health anxiety. What most people decide to do when they feel something strange going on is take their concerns to Google, which is not a good decision. Reading WebMD articles and statistics that would mean I'm more likely to get an extremely rare illness because cases happen in the midwest more often is only fuel for constant fear. The best thing to do when you feel a strange pain or notice an unusual lump is to take it in, let yourself process what you're feeling, and go on with your day. If there's anything that is truly concerning, like nonstop pain, call a doctor if it would make you feel better. You're not wasting the doctor's time. Just please, as soon as you notice something that seems weird, try to distract yourself so your brain doesn't have a snowball thought. If you've never heard of that analogy, it's how our thoughts compare to a snowball. We start out with one thought; a small snowball. But the more we think about it, the more we roll this figurative snowball and make it grow. You want to stop that growth as quickly as you can. Distraction works best for me. There are so many options for easing anxiety at home; you just need to find what's best for you.
gratefulforlife
Maybe we keep hearing about the disease a lot that is why it has stayed back in your brain. Nevertheless, get your checked for cancer. And once and for all remove this thought from your brain. There is no use of staying with this thought forever. Also, is there anyone you know suffering from this disease? It might just be that your brain is making you think that you also have the disease as defense mechanism help you cope with this development. If you want talk to a therapist revealing all this information. It will help you deal with what your brain is trying to tell you.
ElicitWords
Possibly you tend to worry about what could be wrong? We live in a time when cancer is a common enemy to our health and longevity. If you tend to worry a lot, it would make perfect sense that your mind might jump to that conclusion. We do not need to let our thoughts though control our emotions, nor do we need to let our worrying emotions continue to generate repetitive thoughts. You can get assistance to help you with this cycle of worrying. Just by recognizing that you have this pattern, you have already started the healing process.
Anonymous
November 1st, 2020 4:47pm
Health anxiety is something that I have struggled with since I was about eleven. Every time I tried to get my mind off of the way I was thinking, the thoughts continued to intrude- it was like they had no filter. I am now nineteen and I still experience these thoughts, however, I have learned to not let them control me. A piece of valuable information I have learned over the years is that if you allow your thoughts to consume you, all you will ever think is that you are sick and you may actually make yourself believe it. I would challenge you to consider a couple of questions. 1- What is something that you love to do? Using your energy to play a game or to create something may help you block out these thoughts. 2- Have you ever written out your thoughts in a journal? This could help you in figuring out where the thoughts are coming from as well as when they occur. You can then put strategies in place to assist you in dealing with these thoughts. One additional thing I like to do when thoughts occur is to stop and say "no, I am totally okay" "I do not have cancer". Remember that it is your mind and that it is okay to challenge what it tells you when thoughts like this occur. Sending positive vibes!
caringRainbow3393
November 1st, 2020 6:26pm
You might be under a lot of stress and anxiety that is manifesting itself in the form of fear. Fear and worrying can be very powerful things if we do not take control of them. This could also be the result if someone you know or used to know has or had cancer. It is hard letting go of things and so you might just be letting yourself give in to fear and worry. My advice is to try and relax and try to think about happy things. Whenever you start to feel worried or anxious or think you might have cancer then step back take a few deep breaths and try to think about something else.
Anonymous
I believe it is really hard to compare the source of an unknown physical or emotional pain, with anything but the worst thing we could think of. As cancer is usually seen by many as the ultimate negative diagnosis and because it is such a common diagnose at the moment, it is normal for you to think you may have it. Doctors are using cancer as a gwneral diagnose and it can surely affect most parts of our bodies. Hense its diversity makes us take cancer into consideration even more. However, only tests and professional medical advisers can confirm your fears. Take care!