Why do I feel depressed and anxious at the same time?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

Anonymous
These two are severe conditions which balance out each other so when you think "yeah depression is disappearing, Anxiety goes... NOOO COME BACK" and that's where it become one big circle
positiveWhisper24
Because life is so hard. It really is. Also, depression and anxiety are very much related to each other, although they feel different. Biologically speaking, they are both a result of not producing enough serotonin in the brain. You can be depressed because you are anxious, and anxious because you are depressed. Luckily, this can also mean that once you start to feel less depressed, you also start to feel less anxious, and vice versa.
Anonymous
because its a cycle, we feel depressed which makes us anxious we are feeling this way, then the anxiety turns into fear sadness and depression because we dont understand it...thats what i found
Peacefulmeditation
August 22nd, 2015 1:42pm
Extreme stress can exhaust you emotionally and cause both depression and anxiety. This can be a sign of extreme stress and mean you probably need to discuss it with a healthcare professional.
Anonymous
It is quite common for depression and anxiety to occur at the same time. Considering that depression tends to make you focus on the negative, it is not surprising that anxiety also starts to play a role.
SunshineAndStars
I feel like depression and anxiety are things that go on together for me, and thus create a kind of vicious cycle. I feel anxious because I feel like 'how am I gonna do this', 'what are people thinking about me', 'do people think I look bad', and at the same time I feel depressed because I think that 'I can't do anything because I'm useless', 'people think I'm a failure, and I probably am', 'I am ugly'. So, anxiety is like a concern, and depression justifies that negative concern; anxiety creates a problem issue, and depression makes that issue a fact.
PosiPotato
It's funny how those two feelings can come hand-in-hand, for me they did anyway. Sometimes I would notice one overpowering the other. Know that you're in control, and despite what your mind may feel, you own that control and it does not disappear. You have power over your life to manage this! You will overcome this moment.
peacefulCat41
It is normal to feel a little of this from time to time, but if you are feeling overwhelmed, do a double check to see if you are taking good care of yourself. Good food, good exercise, sufficient sleep all add up to a happy person! :) You may try taking some time to do something for yourself. Treat yourself. Do something you really enjoy or attend a worship service.
Anonymous
The two usually go hand in hand because an anxious mind can get extremely down about something that's causing nervousness and vice versa.
MsLadyLisa
It's actually very common to suffer from both anxiety and depression at the same time, especially if you have severe anxiety or panic disorder. Often the anxiety comes first, and the impact that anxiety has on your life ends up leading to the development of depression and depressive symptoms. Both involve a considerable amount of negative thinking. While those with anxiety tend to fear the future and those with depression see the future as more hopeless, both believe that the worst is likely to happen. Both anxiety and depression are related to the same neurotransmitters as well, which is one of the reasons they have similar thoughts.
dalya123
Because depression is another cause for anxiety so if you are depressed a lot then this led to you feeling anxious
Anonymous
You are probably feeling that way because you have been through sad situation and your anxious to find out the things that will happen next.
Anonymous
Depression and anxiety are related in some ways. Feeling anxious about something on a regular basis can cause depression.
JustAddBlu
Unfortunately, depression and anxiety often go hand in hand. They are not exclusive; people can have depression, anxiety, or both. Anxiety and overthinking of an issue can lead to negative thoughts that bring on depressive thoughts or modes of thinking. The two often create a vicious cycle that is extremely unhealthy, but it varies from person to person where that cycle can be broken.