Why does anxiety cause insomnia?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

gabriellevasilieva
Anxiety makes your mind wander and go on and on, picturing scenarios and worrying about all kinds of stuff. Your mind has to be calm, or at least quiet, for you to go to bed. Sometimes your thoughts just cloud your mind and you can't concentrate on sleeping. At least that's how it is for me, anyway.
Anonymous
Symptoms of anxiety often include increased adrenaline, loss of appetite, sweating, and restlessness. All of these are factors that make it more difficult to get to sleep as you'd imagine. Alone in bed, people will think, thinking may trigger anxiety, anxiety triggers adrenaline, and adrenaline triggers lack of sleep. Also, sometimes people with anxiety will feel unsafe, and it's very hard to sleep when one feels unsafe.
Anonymous
Anxiety causes insomnia because of constant thoughts. Your mind will work really hard, overthinking, because that's what anxiety makes it do. And when you're overthinking, you won't get to sleep, because your mind keeps throwing "what if"s at you. It can be tough, but don't worry!
LilyFlowers
The brain and body can't fall asleep if anxious and not calm. It's too stimulating. So anxiety prevents us from being able to fall asleep.
Anonymous
Anxiety can cause insomnia because when you have anxiety or a panic attack, your thoughts are basically going crazy, at least that's how it is for me. When I have anxiety, I get shaky too, and that can stop me from sleeping. It could also be because of the state of panic you are put in when you have an anxiety or panic attack; your body could be forcing you to not sleep as it still believes it is in danger.
Anonymous
Anxiety causes insomnia because all you can think about is the problem and anxiety you are having, every second of the day it's tearing at you and that's all you can think about while you lay in your bed.
Stellis
Anxiety affects everyone differently, sometimes anxiety causes people to feel overwhelmed and exhausted and sometimes it's the opposite of that. Sometimes anxiety causes us to feel like our minds are running a hundred miles an hour and like we can't slow down or sleep or stop thinking. It affects us all differently. If your anxiety causes insomnia try helpful relaxation techniques, meditation, yoga or writing. Try establishing a bedtime routine and putting plans in place for when your mind starts going back to that place where it won't calm down. The more you face this problem head on the easier it will be to deal with over time.
NaturalPillow
In my experience, anxiety causes restlessness. That entails that my heart is pounding and I feel like I can't sit still and I am very irritable. I cannot say for sure which is it in regards to insomnia, but it had caused sleeping trouble for me.
Ya93DC
Anxiety keeps the mind awake and running, sometimes without being able to even pinpoint your thoughts or organize them in a coherent fashion. It doesn't allow for our bodies or minds to relax and enjoy the calmness that allows for us to drift into sleep. It can make us restless and the feeling of being overwhelmed isn't cohesive with the feeling our bodies need to be able to sleep.
CoffeeTeaAndHonesty
Physical and mental aspects. | Physical - Racing heart or beats that skip; body temperature changes; body aches, such as in the neck, shoulders, lower back, etc. | Mental - Racing thoughts; feelings of doom, irritation/frustration, anger, hopelessness, depression, etc.
Anonymous
April 22nd, 2015 1:54am
In my case I stay up all night thinking about the things causing my anxiety. Worrying about what ever it is and never being able to shut your thoughts up. It can get out of control
helpyou
Yes, sleeplessness is a common syndrome which is caused due to anxiety. Lack of sleep can affect your health adversely.
LuciLove
Anxiety causes insomnia because of all the thoughts that are flying around your brain. It makes it difficult to sleep when your brain is working at 800 thoughts a second. One of the things you can do is to try meditating. I've found that it definitely helps.
MissCarla
Anxiety can cause racing thoughts and panic attacks among other things. At night when you are laying in bed is the perfect time for the anxiety to surface and start making you have all or nothing type of thoughts, this in turn makes it very and for you to turn off and sleep.
Anonymous
Not being an expert on anxiety myself, I'll have a bit of trouble answering this one. Anxiety (from my view) Is worrying, correct me if I'm wrong. Worrying too much can lead to trouble sleeping.
Anonymous
Anxiety means you constantly feel worried about the things happening around you. Sometimes, when you try to sleep, all those negative feelings come rushing back and your brain ends up over working itself, which means loss of sleep.
colourfulUnicorns83
In my experience and what i have learned while dealing with anxiety is that our minds don't normally shut down completely like they should, resulting in difficulty sleeping among other things.
kindSong20
sleep comes when your calm down comfortable and when your depressed anxious where can the sleep come then you keep thinking about the problem or fear
MarissaSlack
Anxiety usually causes your mind to be all over the place, which makes sleeping quite a difficult task.