Why is it I know the information and then I go to take the test and I freeze and forget everything?

Sandra Butler, AOD, DV counselor

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Experienced in understanding how emotions and feelings affect our lifes in every aspect of interacting, not just with others, but how we process those emotions. I can help you

Zora17
That sounds like test anxiety. Perhaps you feel so much pressure to do well and remember everything, that you get nervous that you'll forget and do poorly, and then that fear paralyzes you in the moment of test-taking, which then reinforces the anxiety.
Anonymous
You could have a form of anxiety called test anxiety. Not everyone can test like everyone else, and that's okay! The best way is learning ways to test without making you too nervous.
Gi
You are thinking more about the result than the test itself! Dont worry so much. Think about how you prepared yourself for it, how ready you are. Also have in mind it will not be the last test you'll ever do! When reading it just think about it. Nothing else.
Anonymous
The fear of results. Yeah that is the thing. We stop believing in ourselves. Which make us a failure
Anonymous
It sounds like you're experiencing some test anxiety! It might help for you to find a plan to help cope with this anxiety. Doing things to settle your nerves before the test, and even employing anxiety coping methods like deep breathing during the test, might help you out here.
Anonymous
Usually this happens because you are pressured to do well on a test you have been preparing. Your nervousness may affect you way of thinking.
MusicMajor
A lot of times, at least for me, this is because I second guess myself way too much! I think that the teacher is trying to make me fail on purpose, which is normally not the case! I believe a wonderful way to help with this is to just take a deep breath at the beginning of the test and keep a positive attitude telling yourself that you know this information and that you will be fine! Hope that helped! "\ml/"
Kaylee
I think in that case, you may be experiencing some type of nervousness, or better explained as anxiety.
Sudoki
December 22nd, 2015 7:55am
For me it is poor studying habits. When I didn't know how my brain is best prepared for a test I would overprepare and stress about minute details. It's a matter of figuring out how you work best.
ohlookitsmejamie
If you're stressed about the test, then that probably plays a really big role in it. There's a hormone in our bodies called cortisol, which is connected to stress. Research shows us that high levels of cortisol can actually affect memory (negatively, that is). Chances are that when you're worried about a test, your cortisol levels are going up and affecting your memory. So next time you have a test, just remember to calm down, and do your best!
strawberryLake18
Having a child is something that needs to be discussed between the two parts of the couple and so I think u actually have to talk to him about it
Anonymous
that happens with almost everyone, it's just how nervous people are, you're not stupid or anything it's just life I suppose
Anonymous
Your have an active mind its common many people deal with it. It can be hard. But your not alone just take a second to breathe and think
Anonymous
Preparing for a thing and then actually DOING that thing are very different, and for a lot of people, the pressure of that thing ACTUALLY HAPPENING causes them to freeze up and panic, because what if they're not prepared enough??? It's very common, and there are ways to deal with it. Try taking deep breaths when you begin a test, and remind yourself that you DO know the information, maybe even go over the info in your head to tell yourself, "it's okay, I got this." :)
TheAdmirableCreatureAmanda
You may be suffering from test anxiety. I frequently run into test anxiety, and one of the things that I do to help calm me is I imagine my cat (aka my calming kitten sleeping on my lap), basically the only way I have found to help combat test anxiety is to calm myself, therefore I imagine my cat!
Dawn04
My guess would be test anxiety. Normally you know the information until you must know, where it all slips out of your mind.
gentleLily
Some people have test anxiety. Even though you know the material, your mind is racing with worry, and there is no room in your working memory to recall the information you need. Relaxation techniques can be helpful for test anxiety.
KatelynSlaterDreamer
Your limbic system is where memory is stored, its also what processes emotion and a lot of your sensory input, as much as we're very advanced we're also still animals at our core, so the disruption created by your own emotion can also disrupt your memory and other low-level processes, if we were computers it would almost be like having a virus, but since its more complex then that I personally use music, I was given special permission in school to use music because the rhythm can help suppress your limbic interference by accessing memory very fast and randomly to process the rhythm, thereby distracting your anxiety and allowing you to succeed! Of course everyone varies, you can always find what works for you but its that first step that can lead you down the path to true success!