Why will my brain never slow down?

Why will my brain never slow down?

Sara Radford, MA Clinical Counseling

Within the context of a supportive, collaborative relationship I help clients to explore themselves in a effort to create healing and lasting positive change.

Anonymous
In my experience, it's usually because of a lack of closure. Maybe you didn't like the way you ended a conversation with someone, or perhaps you're anxious about an event, etc. It could be any number of things that keep your mind racing all day and well into the night. My advice, as well as personal way of dealing with it, is to have a hobby you love to do. Make sure you have a cool down hour or two every day where you just focus on one thing and let the world pass you by without focusing too hard on it. Just take some chilled out time for yourself, it's always important :)
freetotalk1
I can totally relate to this. While taking tests, I always have to reread the same thing many times because my mind wanders 24/7. It does happen though, everyone is different.
Alwaysdreamin
Sometimes our brains work overtime. You over think, over analysis, and may have trouble sleeping at night. Does this sound like you? Try to think of this as a positive if you can. Your brain can possibly work on multiple things at one time that others cannot. Also, some people whose brains work like this also experience hyperfocus, which can be a very good side effect. Try to make some nighttime habits for a restful sleep but realize that your brain is working and you can use this in a positive way with some practice and a restful night of sleep.
AngeliCaly
Deep breath in through your nose, out through your mouth. Focus on 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste. This will focus your mind on the present, the things you can currently affect, xx
LilyFlowers
May 3rd, 2015 5:45am
Because your caught in your fight or flight reflex. The lower part of your brain, the brain stem. It's a symptom of anxiety. Your brain wont slow down until it feel it's safe.
colourfulMagic87
When we are anxious our brains can tend to go into overdrive, and you can otherthink as everything speeds up. I found it helpful to learn some relaxing tecniques, listening to meditation and relaxation music to quieten the mind. Also deep breathing is very good, to concentrate on your breathing. This can also be used when having a panic attack, breath deeply through your nose then out through your mouth slowly, Imagine all your stresses and strains flowing out of your mouth as you exhail, then good as you breath in. Also to quieten your mind I find reading really help me, esp befor sleep.
aestheticmind
Probably you've been thinking too much recently. It stresses you. You accelerate your thoughts too much. Give them a break and start talking to people instead of resolving things in your head.
CrispPerspective
Usually for me is I am trying to do what too many things at once and will overwhelm myself without even noticing till I am already at that point. What I found is sometimes I need to take a moment and just breath before taking on another activity.
Anonymous
May 3rd, 2015 3:03am
Having anxiety, OCD, or any other mental illness that causes "refreshing thoughts" is not your fault. There are ways to help get through them, however, and it depends entirely on the person. Temporary distractions, hobbies you can get lost in, etc. work best for me.
UnicornLoves
Hey there! You seem to be having trouble slowing your brain down... this is one of the signs of adhd. It is recommended that you get yourself tested from a professional. Try searching for adhd symptoms on the Internet. There are loads of quizzes out there! After having a look at these, if you feel like you might have adhd, you can go to a professional to get tested. Some of the symptoms are hyperactivity, restlessness, fidgeting, and trouble paying attention.
Anonymous
It sounds as though you are not taking enough "you" time to relax. Try some relaxation methods. Try doing something you love to do
Anonymous
because you keep thinking about some situation again again ,so mind get the same thought again and again ,and brain could not be slow down
courteousAcai3754
whenever that happens to me its usually because i didn't say something i wanted to say
JollyBeans
Your brain is constantly trying to solve problems, it's a never ending machine. But as with most machines, they can be very useful, if used correctly, but also damaging if used incorrectly. You control your mind, you alone. If you don't like a thought, you can tell your brain to stop thinking it. While it may be a bit of a beast to tame, you can make it work for you with some practice, instead of against you. Don't let your brain control you, you control you, it's just a tool to help you do that.
mikethedj4
I'm not the kind of person who likes to waste time. So I don't watch tv or play video games. I try and stay as productive as possible. Which sometimes I am to focused on a project; can be because of anxiety, worried and focused about many things for an extended period of time, etc: For me I found that sometimes writing down my feelings and experiences helps to settle down the confusion in my mind. Other times when I notice that and feel the need to slow down I tell my self, "Ok mind hold on a moment and focus on your breathing". Time varies sometimes only a few seconds at work, sometimes minutes, etc: I've found meditation to help profoundly and 7 Cups offers some great Mindfulness Exercises 7cups.com/exercises/mindfulness82 Listening to soothing/relaxing music helps slow my thought processes down sometimes as well - youtu.be/uym36078t_w
Dawn04
Perhaps you are suffering from an anxiety disorder. If so, it will be a long process to teach yourself some relaxation techniques.
Geveda
February 23rd, 2015 6:56pm
Because you're looking out for yourself and you're smart! But sometimes your brain can just overwork itself and you have to just take time to try to find ways to relax and put your mind at ease.
Anonymous
During some times of our lives it may seem like our brain will always be running at a mile a minute. But rest assured, this is a phenomena that waxes and wanes throughout the stages of life, and often even calms as we age. Life stresses, struggles within our personal domain and even errant thoughts can contribute to this - it's sometimes uncomfortable, but never permanent. Take a deep breath, put on some calming music and try to devote the mental energy to productive tasks - your older self will thank you.
brirose23
You can try mediation or binaural beats here is a great link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARoih8HTPGw
Anonymous
The brain is always active. But if you ever feel like your travelling a 1000 miles per hours, just stop what your doing and breathe. Look around you and appreciate life and beautiful things.
mroa
It might be caused by stress, worry, anxiety. The best solution is to use coping methods in order to stay relaxed.
GoodPoint
Sometimes we take on too much and our brain soaks in all the information we need to sort, process and complete the activities we choose to do. Practicing daily meditation or mindfulness can help to slow and calm the mind, training it to think of what's in the moment, rather than everything that is going on in our busy lives.
CaringPuppy1
Our minds are constantly thinking all the time. They are busy even when we are relaxed or sleeping. If it becomes a problem, you could try using something to distract your brain or divert your attention to other things.
Danception
You probably have anxiety! This is a normal experience for most people. I would try to watch your breathing. Try to take slow, deep breaths and stay calm and you will be okay!
havebeenthere
Because at the moment there is just to much happening in my life. To stay ahead with f the game, one must seem to be always thinking, "what next".
Mercedes
Because you're awesome! Thinking is a wonderful but burdensome thing. To slow down those crazy race tracks in your brain, focus on one positive thing (getting lost in how beautiful Tangled is or reading some stupid chick lit can do it for me)
sunshineBubbles12
Your brain is like a beating drum for a rock band. Count to 100, sing your favorite lullaby, squeeze your cheeks, you need a good distraction.
lovelyBeauty59
Meditation is a great way to get your mind focused and force your brain to "slow down." It is proven to help you relax and get your mind focused on other things.
ameliab55
I feel your pain! I often feel like my brain is "spinning." I second medication or mindful practices (like prayer or deep breathing). Also, try some quiet activity like progressive muscle relaxation (tensing one part of your body and then relaxing it from toes to forehead or vice versa), coloring, or drinking a cup of tea. I find if my body is relaxed, I can get my mind to relax better. If it lasts a while, try talking to a doctor or psychologist about thyroid testing or hormone testing. Sometimes the "brain racing" is a sign of your hormones being a bit off.
DontWorryBeYou
Because you have a wonderful and beautiful mind. You see and hear things, and perhaps you get instantly distracted by it. But at the same time, that thinking helps you become creative and considerate. Also, have you ever tried mindfulness? It is that you focus on your body and breathing, and that sometimes helps people clearing their minds for a while.