Can I improve my bipolar without professional help?

Jennifer Fritz, LMSW, PhD

Day to day life can be stressful and overwhelming and my strength is assisting my clients in a supportive, empowering and practical manner.

Anonymous
The more you do the better you feel. You can chat on here. Practice mindfulness and gratitude. Exercise. Talk to a trusted family member or friend. Do chores. Meditation. Grounding. Read, write, draw. Watch tv or a movie. Listen to music. There are a lot of resources on 7 Cups. Get out of the house. Visit a family member or friend. Think carefully before you act or speak. Keep a journal. Volunteer. Try something new. Do a hobby. Be nice to yourself and others. Go on a short trip. Spend time with animals. Feel good about yourself. You are loved.
Anonymous
In my personal opinion, different methods work for different set of people, there is very less generalisation, also I see a lot of hesitation to use medications too, which I totally understand. There are many articles written all over the internet that tell you how to cope with bipolar disorder, but I would suggest you atleast one meet with a professional before you commit to sailing out on your own. The journey is going to be long, but your patience will pay off. I hope this helped. Lot of love. Get well soon. :) :) :) :) :) :)
RubyDragonTea
While professional help is crucial for living with bipolar disorder, there are steps you can take yourself to improve your situation (in addition to professional help). The thing you have most control over to keep yourself steady is taking prescribed medication diligently. Eating well and sleeping on a regular schedule will also improve you general health and reduce some symptoms. The second important role professional care plays in BPD is tracking your emotional state, and in this there are several ways you can help yourself or get help from your environment. If your friends or family are aware of your condition, you can request that they evaluate your behavior when you talk to them, and warn you about changes in your emotional state. There are online guides available to help them identify signs of unusual behavior, but trained professionals are best. There are also several apps under development that can assess your emotional state from your voice on phone calls, but as of writing this answer none of them have yet been approved for use by the general public. Still, it might be possible to join them on a trial basis.
Anonymous
That would really depend on the person and how bad you think your bipolar is. Of course there are things and exercises that can probably help with the swings of different moods such as counting exercises deliberate breathing and such. I would try them for yourself and see what would be able to work for you, however if it is to bad I would talk with your doctor about it depending on the difficulty of how bad it is. But yes you most likely can improve it not necessarily overcome it but help with the less likely of different changes randomly
PieceoftheUniverse
I think so for sure. But if you're able to get compassionate help from a therapist that listens to you and accepts you the way exactly as you are (because in my opinion that's what therapists are for. You did not get that acceptation as a child and the therapist is trying to repair that part of you. Through accepting that part of you that was rejected early on). I think that might be super duper healing. But if you're with some good good people that support you and you're into researching the conditioning your self I personally would say it is possible to do it alone. Would say that professional help makes it easier for most people though:)
Vulnerable2
I couldn't have identified that I'm bipolar without the help of a professional. I also would not have been able to take the stabilizing medications without the help of a psychiatrist. I am still in therapy with a psychologist in order to have an objective and professional point of view of my behaviors that sometimes I see as "normal" when in reality they are not and it is my bipolarity that is speaking. Different readings on bipolarity have also helped me a lot. For example, reading about how many famous people in History have been bipolar has given me peace of mind and hope. I have also learned to laugh at this disorder when I read or see some inexperienced opinions that speak of us bipolar as if we were almost demons, I realize that it is their ignorance (and their fear) that is speaking and I no longer take it personal.
Ffilthyffeline
Yeah! It is a little harder than improving it WITH professional help, but it is possible. What I have found has helped me is: 1. Keeping a regular sleep/wake schedule 2. Exercising daily 3. Self reflection 4. Monitor mood swings 5. Have a morning routine (stability) I am also doing my best to remember the following phrase: "Remember the difference between what you feel and what's real." The last thing that has helped me a lot has been to be honest about my internal feelings with others. When I open up about my feelings, I can start to defuse them if they are out of control.
Anonymous
In my experience, managing bipolar without professional help can be extremely hard. It is a complicated thing and it can be hard to manage by yourself. As someone who improved their bipolar disorder without a lot of professional help, it can be hard, but professional help gave me the resources to do it. Through trying coping mechanisms that I found online, I definitely improved my bipolar disorder, but it will never go away on its own. Whether professional help is not your thing or if it's just not accessible for you at the moment, you can definitely learn to help manage it by yourself.
Anonymous
There are always things you can do for your mental health without professional help. Identifying and using good coping skills is something you can do on your own, as well as reaching out to your support system/ people you know care about you when you're in need. Try to make a list of things that help you when you're not in a good headspace, and try to recognize the signs that you're starting to not do well. When you feel your mental state is slipping, pull out the list and try some of those things that help you feel better.
Anonymous
In my opinion, any other help aside from that of a professional (pharmacology and therapy) is supportive. Some supportive measures like journaling, taking omega 3 can slightly improve mood swings. Or writing a mood chart can help identify and recognize the patterns of behavior which can improve your chances of addressing triggers earlier. However, without professional help, bipolar has a chance of deteriorating further. But, one should not be afraid of the disorder or try to make it an identity of oneself. It is a part of you that needs to be treated gently – no matter how frustrating it may seem :) The other thing is, one has to take consistently their medication before seeing improvements. It is a difficult journey because eating medicines and doing therapy is a lot of hard work on oneself, but the uptake is you emerge as a stronger and better person. Also, I think it is important to remember that finding the right medication is a trial and error process- so be mindful of the effects medicine has on you. You should and can always reach out to your doctor for changing the medication. I am drawing this from my experience and mistakes that I have made by initially not following what I said above upon diagnoses. I hope this helps
naturalSong6926
To improve bipolar without professional help would be knowing that you are not powerless from the disorder. You must stay positive and stay focused in yourself that there are things that you can do for yourself to managing the symptoms. First, get involved in your treatment and become an expert on the illness. Study up on the symptoms so you can notice them and research all your available treatment options. If you are better educated and bettered prepared, you will be able to deal with symptoms and make good choice for yourself. Pay attention to your triggering and early warning signs of an oncoming maniac or depressive episode is a key.
Jahan
Bipolar disorder is a mental illness with biological and psychological roots. Please seek a professional for diagnosis and do not self-diagnose. People with Bipolar illness respond the best to a combination of therapy and medication. If you face a lot of mood swings in daily life, but are able to manage these through your own strategies or the help of your family and friends, you may not actually have an illness. People with bipolar illness typically are not able to manage their symptoms and their life quality deteriorates rapidly. Professional help is indispensable in this scenario, and you will know it if you face it! Please do not self-diagnose and label yourself with an illness as that will cause undue harm by making you feel helpless.
Anonymous
Well, here at 7 Cups you have the option to speak with a trained counsellor, or with trained listeners. As a listener, it's not necessarily possible for me to make that decision for you. That being said, you've shown so much bravery by reaching out and asking these kinds of questions. It might be helpful to consider why/your reasons behind not wanting to seek professional help. We could also consider some things that make you feel empowered and in control of your emotional state. At the end of the day, Bipolar Disorder is the result of your neurological functioning, and not something you've chosen. You deserve to be supported and to feel empowered towards a life where YOU are in the driver's seat.
caringRose8788
No, Bipolar usually requires Medication because it is caused by a chemical imbalance with the Neurotransmitters in the Brain. So a Psychiatrist is typically needed. Along with the medication Therapy should be initiated. In the Therapy the Psychotherapist or Counselor will do Therapy to teach positive ways of thinking, and reduce negative behaviors which will help in Relationship building and mood stability. The Therapist will also educate about Lifestyle Changes that will help in Managing and reducing symptoms and increasing quality of life and overall wellness. With Bipolar Disorder it is usually necessary to be in Therapy and on Medication for the rest of the Patients life as it is a chronic Illness.
CoffeeDrinker247
Bipolar disorder is a very serious and overwhelming mental illness. Although there are things you can do to minimize/manage your symptoms, professional support is still your strongest and healthiest option. That being said, there are some things you can do to help yourself. First and foremost, don't use alcohol or drugs. Both worsen bipolar symptoms. They can both increase impulsivity and mood instability as well as spark manic and/or depressive episodes. Second, creating a bedtime routine can help ensure you get enough sleep and sleep is very important to people with bipolar disorder. Inadequate sleep can actually trigger manic episodes. If you're prescribed medication for your bipolar disorder, it's imperative that you take it as prescribed. Never discontinue medications without your doctor's help because most used to control bipolar disorder need to be tapered down rather than stopping them abruptly. Work with your doctor as a team to make the most of your treatment. If side effects develop or you have concerns, be open and honest so that your doctor can continue to help you manage your illness. Keeping daily track of your symptoms can help you prevent or lessen the severity of mood episodes. It will help you see how your symptoms manifest and learn patterns. Learning trends in your symptoms can even help you spot an episode before it gets started. You can also help yourself by reminding yourself that your racing thoughts are a part of your illness and do not constitute the truth. When negative thoughts begin to take hold, remind yourself that what you're experiencing is depression and that you aren't like that when you when you're well. Focusing on the present also helps manage bipolar disorder. Don't let yourself dwell on the past or future because doing so will help reduce emotional pain. Accepting the present also helps you detect racing thoughts and take action quickly to stop them. Mindfulness exercises are extremely beneficial as well. Finally, observing your emotions can help better manage your bipolar disorder. Take note of the physical sensations you experience along with the thoughts running through your head. Remind yourself not to act on emotions because they aren't facts and you don't have to do anything about them. By the same token, don't avoid your emotions, just experience them and remember they will subside on its own as long as you don't try and force it away. These are some useful things you can do on your own to fight bipolar disorder, but experts agree that fighting it with medication is still the number one defense against the disease.
sunnyTurtle7874
January 2nd, 2021 8:31am
Even though there are many resources published and available online, like self-help guides and how to treat bipolar, it is not recommended to do it alone as it can be triggering and self-retraumatizing if one has to deal with their emotional and physical responses on their own. Psychologist(or another professional) and adequate support system may be helpful for dealing with bipolar. A trained psychologist can offer stable safe space for self-reflection and information processing, while support system (like family, friends, forums, groups) can help sustain the feeling of belonging, because dealing with bipolar maybe challenging and kind supportive words from those who can be trusted are needed for more comfortable experience.
Anonymous
Many people are interested in knowing whether bipolar, or its symptoms, can be managed or improved without seeking professional help. Currently, the general consensus is that for bipolar, therapy and bipolar medications managed by a professional are the best (as in, most safe and effective) option. While many who go this route are initially hesitant to do so, they often find that life becomes more manageable and enjoyable once they commit to treatment. It is important to realize that you have the right to make decisions about your treatment. This means that you have a say in which professional you decide to work with and what kind of treatments you are willing to have. If you choose to work with a professional, you can still (and should still) give them input on what is and is not working for you, so they can continue helping you effectively.
TheRed0793
March 2nd, 2021 10:32am
Bipolar disorder is very serious mental health condition dear. So I would really recommend you to seek out professional help because if it gets out of hand , it can get little dangerous. With therapy sessions, you could do it on more organised way and you may feel better soon. You can do it without professional help too with the help of yoga and meditation. But than you must have to work real hard with routine. Than also we can't gurentee if it will be okay or not. So that's why I think professional help might help more. After all that's what it is for. Professionals are trained to help you out. Hope you get better😊 Ana❤
BlueOasis420
Hey! Bipolar is a very challenging disorder. I can't force you, but I strongly recommend seeking help from a professional and take medication for that. Bipolar can easily get worse and the patient doesn't even notice. You should ak friends or family for advice and how you're doing lately. I don't know if you can beat it by your own, but there is a significant higher chance to be able to have a almost completely normal life with good balanced medication and lots of support. My personal opinion is no, you can't improve it without professional help, but I'm not a doctor and you know yourself best. But very likely at least trying to see a therapist and discuss the options you have will make it better.
jaylamia
Of course you can! There's many different coping mechanisms you can use in order to improve yourself and your bipolar. Even by doing things that you enjoy doing, such as watching T.V. or coloring in a coloring book can help to improve it. Distractions help in such a big way, they can be anything you normally do, too. It just depends on you as a person and what you enjoy, trying out different coping skills you've heard from your friends, family members, or even from a professional therapist. You can also google things that you can do, google helped me a ton when I was searching for new ways to improve my mood when I was feeling down.