Is bipolar sort of like being happy and confident for a long period of time and then being self conscious and depressed for another?

Melissa Fisher Goldman, LCSW

I have experience in grief work and the related challenges of growing a family (infertility, miscarriage, PPD, etc.). I can help you through your life transitions.

kburnham01
I wouldn't say necessarily. Bipolar for me is having extreme high periods where I feel like I can run a marathon, and talk at a thousand words per minute, and sometimes I feel invincible like I could walk into traffic and the car would be destroyed and I wouldn't get a scratch. During manic periods I can often pull all-nighters and not feel tired afterward. Bipolar is what I imagine having ADHD and consuming 4 cups of coffee feels like. The depressed periods are awful, I feel like I'm feeling the worst I ever can and it will never get better. My depressed periods can last for months, my mania is quite the opposite. For a while my idea of mania was just when I felt like I could run a marathon, I didn't realize it included sleepless nights without caffeine for multiple days in a row. It is possible to have something called cyclothymic disorder, which is a milder form of bipolar disorder. Of course, the best route is to consult with a psychologist