I have Borderline Personality Disorder, does that make me disabled and can't do anything?

Kristin Noyes, MSW, LCSW

Depression and anxiety can feel overwhelming even on the best of days. I believe in helping clients understand these disorders and help them to reduce and manage symptoms.

Anonymous
The answer to this question is no. This does not make me disable or make me unable to do things but rather enable me to needing extra support and care. When I say extra support and care as someone living with bpd I do have limits such as struggling to hold long term relationships that does not mean I can't but simply mean I need to gain skills such as DBT to help me with keeping long relationships. I may struggle with anger but that doesn't mean I can't learn to control it, I may struggle to hold a job but that doesn't mean I'm not able to learn how to keep one. It's important I see a professional and keep on having treatment and skills to help me improve. It is not impossible however it takes someone who wants to get well to do it. I would need the attitude of not quiting even when everything tells me I can't. I need to fake it untill I make it. It takes this attitude and support to get you though this. I can do this