Do I miss the person, or the relationship?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

Anonymous
Probably the relationship if you guys did a lot of fun, cute things. If you think about them a lot or get sick to your stomach thinking of them loving another person then you might love the person however.
Anonymous
It depends on the type of relationship you had with the person. In some cases you could miss the feeling of loving and others the custom of being in the relationship is hard.
WillowPillow68
It's always hard to tell what you miss when a relationship ends. It really comes down to the question of do you miss the person they are, or do you miss the things you did? Once you identify that, you can move forward from there :)
Anonymous
February 23rd, 2017 11:27pm
I honestly missed the relationship and not the person I thought he was different but I feel better now then when I was with him
tinybeebee
We are creatures of habit, so it is easy for us to confuse if we miss the person we were with or the feeling of being in a relationship. The best way I answered this question for myself was thinking about the things my partner and I did that was exclusive to us (our go-to date spots, memories unique to us) and tried to imagine doing it with someone else. If you can more or less picture doing the things you once loved with another person, perhaps you miss the idea of a relationship. You know you miss the person when you realize you are missing a part of yourself. But, the two are so closely twined together that it is hard to make the distinction.
realmpr
Sometimes you miss the person, other times you miss the relationship. Both are okay, it's part of moving on, you will soon learn life is more than that one person, and that one relationship.
peacefulkat
You may miss the person, if you miss the person it could be the way they did little things or the things they could have said. You could miss the things they would wear, how they smelled or the way they ate, If you miss the relationship it could be the way you two did things together such as how you often cuddled or went out on dates. The jokes you made at each other and the deep conversations you two had.
Anaiviv01
In any stressful situation, it’s easy to get caught up in the emotion. Apply the Helicopter View mind perspective. We can zoom out our view and see the bigger picture. As the helicopter takes off, getting higher and higher, it sees a bigger and bigger picture, and is less involved with the detail at ground level. So as we pull back from an emotional situation, we can start to see things much more clearly and rationally.
Tanakaido
I can't say this will apply to you, but for me the answer would be both. When I lost my best friend and girlfriend I was haunted by the loss every waking moment. I missed the person because I saw a future with her and believed that if she was in my life that future could be mine. I missed the relationship because without it I felt hollow, the magic of life was gone. They are two sides of the same coin.
Anonymous
That all depends. Do you miss what they did, who they were, how they made you feel, or the little things about them? Missing the person is when you think about THEM as a person. Who they were, their habits, their smile, them. Missing the relationship would be more directed at your feelings that you miss. Do you miss how being together made you feel? Those kinds of feelings.
NotAGod
November 22nd, 2017 2:43am
You got into a relationship to be in a relationship or to be with the person? Ask yourself this first.
EmRivale
December 22nd, 2017 1:04pm
Generally you miss the relationship - it's not the person you miss. It's the routine. Ask yourself, what are you missing? Are you missing the closeness, the company, or are you missing the dates and the things you did together?
AlexJames25
Always a really difficult question to answer. We often break up with our partner because we feel as though something is not working out and it is beyond repair. This naturally leaves a void; we forget how much time our partner can occupy. In my experience, it is more often that people miss the relationship more than the person. Filling up your time with things you care about is a great way to help with this!
Anonymous
It depends on the kind of relationship you had. Sometimes you may miss the kind of relationship you had, or the person while reprimanding the relationship.
meiixae
I guess it depends on how you feel. It could be that you still have lingering feelings. But, it could also be that you just need another relationship. Maybe try being with someone else and then you will find the answer.
SuperSandi
It depends if the relationship was a toxic one or not. I used to find myself thinking about my ex and how things would be if we got back together. I was able to separate him and my life with him, if that makes sense, and realized that I missed the relationship because I felt comfortable in it. But him as a person, he was toxic. But then again, you could very well miss the person if there was a point in time where you were good friends before the relationship.
Anonymous
Both? Without that person, there's nothing to miss about in that relationship. Without that relationship, there's nothing about that person to begin with.
Moondust673
You cannot separate a person from the experiences you had with him/ her. It is understandable that you miss both.
originalLion57
That differs. Sometimes you miss the memories and you want the relationship you used to have, but don't have anymore and you miss the person he/she used to be or you wished they were. Sometimes you can be in love with the idea of being in love and not the actual person.
Anonymous
Although you can miss the person, missing the relationship is what I feel to be more common. You've gone from having something that is no longer there and you miss it! Its normal!
CHardbroom
It depends on what kind of relationship or person he or she was but I'd have to say I think I'd miss the relationship
victoriousIceCream14
We human, we love the person and the relationship with that person. It is our nature. There's no other reason you miss the person and didn't miss the relationship and same goes to relation.
Most of the time people assume its the person, but personally i think its the relationship. If that person was not a good person to you then you might miss the idea of the relationship that u had and not the person.
Anonymous
Most of the times when we broke up with a person we feel like we are missing something or someone but in reality what we are missing is the relationship when it was all good along with the person who he/she was when we were happy in the relationship.
BornToHelpYou
Both. Sometimes you miss the person. Sometimes you miss the feeling of loving someone and getting loved back.
TheTripleS719
Without knowing the situation, who knows? You just might miss both. It's a struggle to know the difference,
Anonymous
I met up with my ex boyfriend last night, and it was like talking to a stranger. It made me realize that I miss the relationship, and not him.
lacedaniellehelp17
The relationship. Often people miss what they had with a certain person because they felt happiness or a sense of feeling complete. You'll find that again.
psychopsychologist1896
Person.. because people are replaceable. You can have another relationship but not the same person. It's the person who makes a relationship special. You can have the same relationship with another person but it's not necessary that it should make you feel the same way the first person did.
gt17
You can miss both! The person may mean a lot to you and you miss them, but you most likely also miss the intimacy of the relationship itself.