Do I miss the person, or the relationship?

Christina Hussami, MSW, LCSW

Strengths-based, solution-focused therapist focusing on helping clients find life balance and navigating down their own path leading towards overall well-being.

Anonymous
Depends on how the relationship was. I think a lot of times it's the relationship. Its a change in lifestyle and is disruptive.
Anonymous
That depends on the situation. Sometimes it's both, sometimes it's one or the other. Some people feel the need to be in a relationship without ever actually truly being involved with their boyfriend or girlfriend. In my most recent relationship, I missed the person who was valuable to me, I would've been fine with staying friends. Anyways, it might be either one.
KaiSupply
It depends from situation to situation, but typically after a break up, you miss the act of being in a relationship, rather than the person you were in a relationship with. Usually in a break up, there is a valid reason for the break up to have occurred, thus you usually know there was a mistake made by one or the other person, implying that you miss the act of being in a relationship rather than the person you were in a relationship with instead.
Anonymous
Each case to its own, sometimes its the person and sometimes its the idea of love or relationship it really depends
picturesque03afterthought
December 22nd, 2016 9:19am
I think we miss the feeling we had when we were with that person..the way that person made us feel. The way we were so open and free with them, the way they made us smile and supported us during our low days, the way they made this world a better place, or should I say more bearable just by being there by our side. So i guess we miss the the person we were around them. But then, this is just according to me...I might be wrong too.
calmspirit
Sometimes it can be a mix of both. We miss the person, but at times, it can feel like we simply miss the memories we had created with that person. It's a complex situation in terms of emotive attachment to a certain point in life. But I'm sure we all miss the person we once saw a future with, regardless of time; circumstance, or years passed. The thought of ''what if it worked?'' will always linger in our semi-conscious thought process.
Anonymous
I missed both. My ex was a wonderful person who was practically my best friend and the relationship thrived with numerous phone calls, inside jokes, and always being there for one another. I no longer talk to him and I miss the special relationship I had with that special person.
sereneArrow91
April 22nd, 2017 8:10am
I think you miss the idea of being with a person. I think you miss companionship. We all feel like being with a person, being loved and nurtured by the person. In the course of time, you tend to miss both.
yourconfidant05
May 3rd, 2017 11:45am
We tend to miss the "memories" of whatever made us most happy. Sometimes its the idea of a relationship that's more appealing and missed rather than the person we were with. At the end of the day, we are all humans and crave companionship
lovelyKitty21
I miss the person. My best friend is gone. The one I think about and what to talk to when I see something funny, sad, interesting is gone. The feeling in my stomach when I remember we aren't talking anymore is cringy. Yes, I miss the person.
FeriWitch
You can miss both. Sorting out your feelings about that can help you move forward, as you try to identify if you're looking for a person with a certain set of traits, or a relationship that has some of the same boundaries, habits, and communication styles. It can be important to realize that finding a person with similar traits won't necessarily bring the same kind of relationship, and starting a new relationship with the same kind of boundaries won't necessarily mean the other person is similar to your ex.
Anonymous
It is very conman in situations like yours that you miss both, and these can get mixed you can end up missing both, I bet you miss both the relationship and the person.
Anonymous
In my case, a bit of both but mostly the relationship. I miss the companionship and the reliability, which are essentially because of the person. So it's kind of interdependent I guess.
Nutella17
I've personally asked myself that exact question more than once, and my conclusion is that you need to stay away from that person for some time (even when it's difficult, I know). I didn't want to do it but my ex had to go on a trip, and then I discovered that I didn't actually desperately miss him, it was just the same as if a friend had gone to another country for some days. Distance is key. If you still want to be with that person after at least three weeks, then it's the person the one you are missing. If you just wanted to have a relationship, you will discover during that time that you are ok without anyone.
brilliantLight30
Sometimes we remember the way people affected us and not the people themselves. We miss the way we felt and the people we became when we were with them.
5thousandmiles
It's possible to miss both. Often we miss what we had, back when things were good and we were happy. Remember why it didn't work, and remind yourself that you're better off.
sweetsun29
Honestly, probably a bit of both. But think of the stuff you've went through and if you think its something you can fix, you can give it a try. But be very brutally honest with yourself, You don't want to hurt yourself. Look at the relationship like a puzzle, and every time you go on a break, the person hurts you, etc., you loose a piece of the puzzle. Eventually you've lost so many pieces and you've tried so hard to still find the finished image but its already to broken to fix. The finished picture will never be the same, no matter how hard you try, ya know?
mvpeng
This is something you really need to reflect on and figure out for yourself, but often times it is the relationship we miss more than the actual person. Think about what you miss exactly: is it things like their smile, the way they were to you, etc., or going on dates, kissing, and other relationship type things.
JomelHell
I miss the relationship. I know he is not what he used to be and yet, I am very dependant on our relationship. I expected him to be more commited with the relationship but he has given up on the relationship and yet I am still haunted by the memory. So I think it is the relationship when we were still happy that I miss the most.
neverendingMusic14
I can't speak for you and how you're feeling, but it's very possible that you're just missing the feeling of being with someone, instead of the person themselves.
MusicalGirlIndia
Being attached to someone can cause you to see cloudy. Most of the times people miss the relationship or the idea of being in one, being with someone. It is up to you to open your eyes and look at it from a distance. That way, you will see the clearer picture.
RINM1230
Some people miss the feeling of being a team with someone in a relationship, but that does not mean they miss the person. Then sometimes people miss someone they were in a relationship but did not like being in a relationship.
Akadaniella
both actually..the person mostly, since its the person who affect the relationship but still it have a thing too so both
Anonymous
Alot of times you hear that you miss the idea of being in a relationship and not the person but honestly I think you definitely miss both cause let's face it, both possibilities are possible.
Anonymous
If you miss the person, you miss being around them and what they do and what you do together. If you miss the relationship you miss the attention
Anonymous
I miss the person, if the person is with me I will get back the relationship. It is more about how the person treated me. You are left with a void when the person leaves you.
softSea50
Possibly and most likely both considering that you wouldnt have had such a amazing relationship without that person
Anonymous
You miss the memories. The memories of both of you, how you guys used to be and how different it was back then.
Vanillaa
It depends on the context. Sometimes we miss the person and their aspects but other times that connection is very important.
Anonymous
Maybe you just miss the companionship. The feeling of someone being there for you, someone to turn to. If it didn't work out then you have to think that there must have been a good reason behind it. So it can't be the relationship or the person you miss. You might just miss someone to talk to and be connected with.