He cheated on me. Should I give him another opportunity?

Lisa Groesz, PhD

With evidenced based therapies, we find the root of the problem together to implement solutions. We all face crises, transitions, or disorders at some time.

TangledRivers
February 22nd, 2016 4:22am
No. He has already disrespected and lied to you if he cheated. That is a frame of mind that does not change just because you're forgiving.
Anonymous
I think if he has cheated on you, then he should not be given another opportunity. once the trust is broken, it cannot be regained back.
Anonymous
I dont think so because if he cheated on you the that most likely means that even if you think he does he probably doesn love you like you thought
RogerDan555
A big no. If he has enough guts to cheat you, then he should be left alone. Give this opportunity to someone who cares for you.
CCtheHugAddict
Personally, I believe it would be best to try and end it and move on. Try not to harbor any ill will love, try to forgive. However, you'll find yourself throwing his loyalty into question every time he's alone now. That's added stress that I just don't think you want. Trust is absolutely essential in any kind of healthy relationship love, and it's so hard to rebuild once broken. I'm sincerely sorry that this has happened, I know how hard it hits when your trust is broken, but it's only going to create more arguments and stress for not just you but him as well love.
kvo8
That decision is totally up to you. It depends on how you view cheating and how you feel in regards to the trust in the relationship. It might help to weigh the options between the pros and cons. What are the pros of being with him and providing another opportunity? Things like: he makes you happy, what happened was a total misunderstanding, he makes you feel good things more than anything bad. And what are the cons? Will you no longer trust him, was the relationship good how it was before, etc. Hopefully that helps but ultimately the decision is yours.
Soulfree
To err is human. Don't hesitate to accept him if he realise his fault and sincere in relationship. But this definitely doesn't mean you need to allow him to use you. Think and notice his acts first.
Anonymous
Once a cheater,always a cheater.Never ever give second chance after your trust is broken,because trust is like a glass,once brokem,cant be the same again.
vMidnightBluesv
Only you can answer that. After the cheating, do you think you are still able to trust this person? Can you move on and leave behind what happened? Is this person worth the try? Only you know. Everyone makes mistakes but trust is very important in a relationship. Once someone breaks it, it can be hard to go back to what it used to be like, and it usually doesn't. What is the point in getting back together if you will always be afraid that it could happen again? Are you mentally prepared to be hurt again if it happens?
Anonymous
do you think you should give him another opportunity? if yes, what makes you want to give him another opportunity? By cheating on you, he broke a special bond in your relationship. If he did it once, he is more likely to do it again, especially since he already knows you're going to take him back. Think about what you really want. Him cheating on you was not a respectful thing to do. It's happened to me before, the worst thing he ever did to me and he probably thought i was going to take him back but not after cheating on me. Cheating on your significant other is a big deal.
Rasenchidori
September 22nd, 2015 4:58am
I do not recommend it because the whole reason we distrust someone is for our own good. It depends on the situation but you have to think whether you would be able to bear with a second occasion of cheating.
Zebrasarcastic
Do you believe if he's sorry enough and is actually feeling guilty and you Belive he won't make it a habbit
Anonymous
Well.. if you would give him opportunity, do you believe..he wouldn't cheat again? because if he were sincere.. he would have never cheat on you... its your life.. love all but trust few..
Joshl800
You are the expert about your situation, however, I have been in similar situations, and I have found that allowing someone to come back into my life (who has hurt me profoundly) hasn't helped me. However, I always forgive these people, because if I refuse to forgive them, I am the one who ends up suffering. Usually, I try to offer them some loving-kindness when I meditate. On the other hand, I make sure to set up some very firm boundaries with them in my day-to-day life. This prevents me from suffering more than I have to.
Anonymous
Absolutely not. Coming from someone that has had this happen too many times, I can say that cheaters will always let you down. Once a cheat, always a cheat. He'll just do it again... Find someone loyal that treats you like gold. It's possible... Just give it time. Take my word for it.
Anonymous
In very few cases do I believe in giving another opportunity after cheating. Sometimes when there is children involved it is worth the healing process. Otherwise, it is a hard thing to forgive and especially in a dating relationship, sometimes it is more difficult and painful than simply being alone or finding someone who is willing to be faithful
here2help13
I cannot give you specific advice, because i worry that it would not go well and I don’t want that. You have to decide in this situation. You have to decide if he is good enough for you or not. You have to see if he is committed to you, and only you this time. You have to make sure that you won’t be hurt by him again.
MarshmallowTimeWithMe
I think that who cheated once, would cheat 100 times. You can give him a chance but do not fall into deep for him, keep your eyes open and your guards up. You are beautiful, worthy and anyone would be lucky to have you. So do not toxic yourself with such a relationship of it is harming you in any type of way. You deserve happiness and always the best. But if you feel like you know him so well and he tried to make efforts to change and be the best for you then you can forgive him and start all over together, all fresh and clean filled with love and trust.