How can you tell that you have really moved on?

Lindsay Scheinerman, MA, LPC

My work with clients is to help them recognize and build on their strengths to find solutions for the conflicts presented in their lives.

caitscat
I sit upright, and close my eyes. I lay my hands palms down on my thighs and take deeps breaths. Counting the seconds it takes to complete a full insulation and exhalation. I focus my mind completely on my breathing so that I can drown out all other noises and distractions.
shalini7
Moving on is not something that will happen instantaneously. It might take months or even years in some cases to finally forget that person. Its when you wake up and his face will not be the first thought that pops into your head. It's when you realise that memories just slip out from your brain, bit by bit, until you are only left with a vague feeling of remembrance of something that mattered a lot earlier but no longer does. You will be happy from within, independent of everyone...
Anonymous
When we accept on what already happened. We know that it is one of our journey, there is so many adventure that waiting for us. It will remain as our life history, nothing can change it. Now, we should focus on future. A future for our own self. Keep moving forward.
Anonymous
When you have really moved on, that persons’ name doesn’t make you smile, the sound of their voice doesn’t give you butterflies and when their touch doesn’t burn up your skin the way it used to. You can finally look at the person you once loved and you can say that that’s not what you want anymore
UntilThen
On the day you move on, you won't think "I've moved on!", you will just go about your day. Then in a few weeks, or months, you will realize you simply haven't thought about whatever it was at all for a while. Each time it will be longer and longer between when you remember, and each time you remember will become less and less emotionally distressing to you. This goes on and on for the rest of your life. All you can do to get there is focus on other things in your life, and work on your healthy coping skills.
Anonymous
You can tell you really moved on something or someone when you do that on the three stages. Phisically, emotionality, and mentally. So that means you are no more in phisically contact with that situation, you have zero emotions about that. You are neutral about that, you don't care about the situation or that person and further that doesn't make impact on you and your well being. And last you don't think about that, you have mentally decided that is no more services you in anything. That is were you really moved on something. That is only my opinion based on my experience, because i have tried to move on on someone and i wpuld move on for exemple phisically but there would be still emotions in me and sometimes i would still think about that person which for me means i am just laying to mayself i have moved on but i haven't, that is why it is sometimes still hard. Truly moving on is when you master it on this three levels and than you will feel relief. I hope this is helpful. Love and light.
SunnyQ
You are really moved on when you can preventif yourself of being involved in things which related to your past.
Arlee
When you're happy, when you're no longer sad about the past and you realize your better & happier without them.
healwithlove
When it stop hurting you to talk about the issue, to even be able to help others with the same issue.
Anonymous
I honestly don't think we really move on. We just get better with time. When you find yourself not worrying about whatever it was a such or thinking bout that person and or just have happy memories and don't feel as sad or worried.
keera4299
When you are able to forgive someone who has wronged you, even if they haven't apologized, that is when you have truly moved on. When something happens, good or bad, and they aren't the first person you want to run to, that's when you know you have moved on.
considerateMoon96
When you look back at the incident/person and have a warm brush of positive feelings of self-learning, self-value and reflection, rather than anger or sadness - then its an indication that you have moved on from the painful situation and have gained perspective to be able to look at it positively. Similarly, when triggered about that incident, you do not feel trapped or in control of it - and you can rather step away from it to other thoughts or activities, is another sign of moving on.
HeartofaPhoenix
For me, I knew I had moved on when I could look back and see the good as well as the bad in the situation.
gmgxxx
Feeling happier in yourself, believing in yourself and feeling like you can move on with your life and do things you didn't think of doing before. Just feeling generally happy in yourself and about yourself and for what's to come
imperfectlyperfect17
When you think of them and you feel nothing for them. When you no longer feel attached to them in any way.
thechrysanthemum
When dwelling on the issue isn't worth your time anymore and you can live your life with out the issue interfering with your emotional state of being.
Anonymous
For me personally, I know I have moved on when I can think of or see the person and have no feelings or attachment. Getting to this point will probably take a long time, but once you get there you'll know.
beautifulPainting66
You will find yourself genuinely happy, and realize that it hasn't crossed your mind in a while. And the thought of it right then won't bring you down.
Anonymous
I think that is when you will be able to think about it/or them, without feeling hurt/sad/angry/terrible.
positivewinter99
When you start to think of your own happiness, doing things for yourself and actually loving yourself truly. When you look your reflection in the mirror and smile, truly. When you are happy with what you are seeing.
valeriee
You don't smile at the persons name anymore, you don't look at your phone every minute to check if you have a text from them and you're happy
MagicCat07
Moving on seems like a hard thing to do but it all starts within yourself. When you have finally accepted all the things that bother you that's when the time you can really look forward more better things to come.
KKGunner
When you still think about what happened and get anxious, but not overwhelmed to the point of panic.
gt17
I believe that you can tell that you've moved on when you can look back on a situation and no longer harbor any negative emotions on the situation. It's okay to look back and wish things had been different, however.
devinacares
I believe that you know you have really moved on when you get through the day without thinking about it (whatever it may be) and you look up and realise that you are okay.
Anonymous
I can tell that I have moved on when I stop worrying or being fearful of the situation and just start living.
originalbraveheart63
The main aspect is just not thinking about and not worrying about it anymore. Time helps with everything.
Anonymous
when you feel blissfully happy and free. when you feel like they dont affect you anymore when you dont have feelings for them
Anonymous
If you think about it, does it emotionally affect you? If it does emotionally affect you, you just need to work on it some more. Understand it from your side, and the other person's side. Most probably it is just situational.
Anonymous
When i am no more get affected by the past. I am living in the present moment, not thinking about what happened. Whatever happened is not bothering me now . That is when i can say i have moved on.