How do I know if my ex is thinking about me?

April Zamzow, CSW, LPC

There are many times in our lives when we could use an ear to listen and help us through the things that we are struggling with. I can do that.

Anonymous
If you both really loved each other and if you still have trust in your ex then surely your ex is missing you. No matter how your relation was good or bad you always think of your ex because if it was good u have memories and if it was bad still you been remembered by your partner. so just relaxed be clam and focus on your life. past is just going to give you trouble . If she is really meant for you the she will be back to you no matter what happens. Enjoy your life focus on your career.
Jezbr
You can ask them. Sometimes our assumptions complicate things a lot. But then, do you want them to be thinking about you? What positives would you gain from knowing that they are thinking about you? If you are trying to move on from them, would it be more constructive if you avoided those lines of thought? But to your specific question, can you really know what anyone is thinking without them telling you? And what happens inside when we rack our brains to figure it out? For example, if I have offended my wife, but I am not sure, I could assume that I have, and apologize. Or I could ask and find out that nothing was wrong. Or it could start a conversation that brings us together. If you are still close with your ex, a conversation may help the move on period. Or it might muddy it.
Vulpixofthedawn
Honestly, the likelihood is that you never will know - but I would advise that maybe you don't want to. The thing about an ex is that they are just that, an ex. You should try not to invest your time thinking about someone who you have broken up with, in wondering if they are thinking about you, you are thinking about them. This isn't overly helpful in the long run because constantly thinking about your ex may mean that you find it harder to focus on your wellbeing and on getting over the relationship. It's so important to focus on yourself at times like this and wondering what your ex is thinking about is likely detrimental to your progress.
ABeautifulMind1
You can't :) Well, I would suggest you shouldn't. If you are really over him/her, you should start the healing process. Thinking about whether your ex is thinking about you or not will be an endless process and won't result in a yes or no answer because you cannot read their mind. It will never help you move on because you will keep obsessing over it. So rather than putting yourself through this, you maybe want to distract yourself with some new hobbies or friends so that you don't keep thinking about your ex and lose your sanity and sleep over it :)
CalmingPatronus
There are so many factors that can affect this answer. How long ago was the relationship? How long was the relationship? Is your ex trying to date other people yet? Do you still talk from time to time? Is it you, or your ex, who starts the conversation? Every situation is different. If the break up was more recent, it is more likely your ex still thinks of you. If the two of you still talk, and if it is the other person reaching out then that is also a sign that they are thinking of you. Ultimately, It’s impossible to read minds- so the only way to know for sure is to ask.
peacefulSunrise5464
This isn’t the right question to ask yourself. Why do you care? Why do you need to know? Most of the times, there’s a good reason why you’re not together anymore. You don’t need to beat yourself over it, but you need to accept and move on. If you wonder what the other thinks about you, you are not moving forward. You can never truly know what anyone thinks or feels about you, so there’s no point in wondering about it. Trust your feelings about this person and believe in yourself, that’s the most that you can do, push comes to shove.
insightfulPoetry3932
You ex will be thinking about you for some time. Whether the break-up was amicable or destructive your ex will be thinking about you. You shared a part of their life for an amount of time. It also should be known that if the relationship is toxic that this may be the only reason your ex would try their best to not think about you. If they had their own problems they had to confront or even if you yourself have problems you need to confront, your and your ex will be on each other's minds. Its only natural that we think about those we care/cared about.