How do I know if my ex is thinking about me?

Hannah Caradonna, MSW, RCSW (RCC #11330)

Social Worker

I offer a warm and non-judgmental space for you to work through your problems. I can help you with anxiety, disordered eating, depression, relationship problems and more.

colourfulWillow64
December 2nd, 2018 4:25pm
Honestly, you don't know. But if you have seen signs from him like texting you to see whats up and asking how you are doing then there is a pretty good chance he is thinking about you. If you really want to know ask him be direct. Or ask his friends if he has been thinking about you. If it were me I would just ask my ex if he was thinking about me instead of me guessing if he is or not. If he says no then you know your answer. And if he says yes then you know that he may still be into you.
Anonymous
I think the best way to know is asking them, though it may sound too risky! Their actions should speak up and they will tell whether they are still thinking about you or not. I suggest you pay attention to how they treat you, talk to you, or even how much time they try to spend with you if the two of you are still close. If that is not the case, there will be some hints. They will surely come back around eventually. Give it time and pay close attention to the little things, the sure matter!
Anonymous
You could look for signs, like if they're showing some kind of interest, that might mean that they're still not over you. Yet if you cannot seem to recognize any signs, the best way to know could be sparking up a conversation, that is if you are also still interested, but if you're not and you just want to know if they're still thinking about you, then that might not be the best idea. However, the best way to know how someone is feeling is always through directly talking to them, signs might be deceiving and you might get the wrong idea.
RiosMisadventures
If an ex is thinking about you, they will most likely be attempting to remain in contact with you. However it is very hard to know for sure. But that is definitely a key factor, you may also realise they look at you a lot when they have the chance, or maybe like pictures of you and comment on social media. If you feel the relationship meant something special, chances are they are thinking about you. Because you have been a part of that persons journey. It is perfectly normal to ponder if they are thinking about you. Love, Rio. :)
Jezbr
You can ask them. Sometimes our assumptions complicate things a lot. But then, do you want them to be thinking about you? What positives would you gain from knowing that they are thinking about you? If you are trying to move on from them, would it be more constructive if you avoided those lines of thought? But to your specific question, can you really know what anyone is thinking without them telling you? And what happens inside when we rack our brains to figure it out? For example, if I have offended my wife, but I am not sure, I could assume that I have, and apologize. Or I could ask and find out that nothing was wrong. Or it could start a conversation that brings us together. If you are still close with your ex, a conversation may help the move on period. Or it might muddy it.
Vulpixofthedawn
Honestly, the likelihood is that you never will know - but I would advise that maybe you don't want to. The thing about an ex is that they are just that, an ex. You should try not to invest your time thinking about someone who you have broken up with, in wondering if they are thinking about you, you are thinking about them. This isn't overly helpful in the long run because constantly thinking about your ex may mean that you find it harder to focus on your wellbeing and on getting over the relationship. It's so important to focus on yourself at times like this and wondering what your ex is thinking about is likely detrimental to your progress.
CalmingPatronus
There are so many factors that can affect this answer. How long ago was the relationship? How long was the relationship? Is your ex trying to date other people yet? Do you still talk from time to time? Is it you, or your ex, who starts the conversation? Every situation is different. If the break up was more recent, it is more likely your ex still thinks of you. If the two of you still talk, and if it is the other person reaching out then that is also a sign that they are thinking of you. Ultimately, It’s impossible to read minds- so the only way to know for sure is to ask.
insightfulPoetry3932
You ex will be thinking about you for some time. Whether the break-up was amicable or destructive your ex will be thinking about you. You shared a part of their life for an amount of time. It also should be known that if the relationship is toxic that this may be the only reason your ex would try their best to not think about you. If they had their own problems they had to confront or even if you yourself have problems you need to confront, your and your ex will be on each other's minds. Its only natural that we think about those we care/cared about.
brilliantBraveheart88
Why do you want to know if your ex is still thinking about you? I mean they're your ex for a reason. You wanting to know if their checking up on you shows that you still care. You either need to figure out if they are someone you still want in your life or not. If you do want them, there isn't anything wrong with that. Message them and talk things out. But if not, you shouldn't care. Remember the reasons why they aren't in your life anymore. That should be enough reason for you to not care if they are thinking about you.
Anonymous
It is no way in knowing how other person is thinking/feeling in that case. He can be ingnoring you and not wanting to talk to you but dying inside. They wont alway tell because that can make a person look “weak” (some people think). On the other hand if he is writing you maybe random things nothing important and just wants to connect with you, I would say he is deffenetly thinking about you with no doubt. But even if he isnt connecting, he might be thinking and not letting you know. It can be pretty common. We will never know in the end if we arent told straight forward what it actually is.
jadesupport101
When it comes to this kind of thing, it's important to not make any assumptions. The best thing you could do is talk to your ex and tell them that you have been thinking of them and ask them if they have been doing the same. Open communication is extremely important when wanting to rebuild any kind of relationship. If they turn your down, realize that maybe this person isn't right for you and that it's okay to move on. You can accept that they were an important part of your life and helped you grow as a person, but they aren't right for you right now.
Aritraachatterjee
Darling, if you still wanna know if your ex is still thinking about you or not, it's better to not call him ex, and jump into the conclusion of one- sided love. When we leave behind somethings in our life, its for better always and when we do so, we learn. Now the question is what do we learn? We learn how to live alone rather than living in confusion or accepting rejection, similarly when we call someone ''ex" that means we left because of so many reasons, otherwise who said breaking a relationship is easy? When you think about this probably your ex is settling down with another one. Accept the truth and move on that is life, accept setbacks and build your base with them. Learn lessons and do not open a closed chapter, do not waste your time by thinking these and darl going back to the same person wont give you a different conclusion. Regards and Love.
kindPeace2936
You will never know what someone else is thinking. Your ex is an ex for a reason. What does it matter what they are thinking? They are a part of your past and that is where they should stay. You are bigger and better than what their thoughts are. You can move on from them and continue to lead a fulfilling and fruitful life. I know getting over ex partners is tough and these thoughts will be all consuming but with time this will fade. You'll get your own identity back and be able to move forward without constantly wondering if they are thinking about you.
Maya14
It's not easy to forget someone who has been a part of our joy and happiness throughout our lives. Nobody will keep on thinking about their past. It is certain things which will make think about the past. The places which they went together, food they loved together. Also since the person is ex. It is wise to move on. When it is meant to be ours, no matter what it will remain ours. when it is not, no matter how hard we try, it can never become ours. Instead of ruining the present with someone in the past, it's wise to move on and start self loving.
Anonymous
If he is stalking you in your social media profile by liking your pictures, or sharing things that you used to share when you were together, maybe these signs can indicate something. Or by just talking about yourself indirectly in your conversation with your ex and the way he responds can let you know. But the sure cut, honest opinion is by asking or by asking your ex's friends whether they still talk about you. so don't loose hope. The response is how you'll know the answer you need. for that, you may try different thing other than that mentioned above. :)
HennaHeARTs
honestly, you wont know. Since we do not have the ability to read minds, it is near impossible for us to know what another person is thinking. Just like you are thinking about your ex right now, it is possible they too could have a memory or thought triggered that reminds them of you. But there is no way to know for certain unless they tell you themselves directly. We can hope that they think about you as much as you think about them, but what difference does it make even if you did cross their mind. Remember, if they wanted to they would. If they really wanted to, they would.
softAngel2102
We don't. Most importantly I think we have to rephrase the question as to what do we want to be think about ourselves. Who do we want to be be and how do we want to grow as a person. How has the previous relationship made me a better person. We never truly know when and what another person is thinking about. I think that is the hardest part. The most importnat part to remember is that you are a seperate wonderful human being who is growing learning and changing. Although the journey is hard the growth is the most important step.
warmLight4483
The truth is, we don't know. We don't know when anyone is thinking about us but we inquire about it. If you feel that your ex loved you and the breakup was a strain, chances are that person thinks about you. Anyone you have in your life will think about you. You shouldn't let the thought of your ex think about you prevent you from moving forward. If that person really and truly loved you, they will appear in your life in due time. If you think you ex is thinking about you, you are probably thinking about them too, and that is okay. Don't let your mind prevent you from moving on, that person will come back if it is what is right for them and you.
SemynonA
I think we all think back to all the people who walked some of life with us at least from time to time. More someone has been significant in our lives more thoughts will be directed towards this person. Unless thinking about this person hurts too much. Like when you can't get rid of feelings even though it's long gone. So yes, your ex necessarily thinks of you. And how much they do isn't systematically a reflect of what they felt for you. And it can be of great comfort knowing that. Moving on, dating, having a satisfying life, keeps no one from wondering from time to time. I find very harmful any advice telling you to only look forward with relationships. You'll only get healthier relationships by looking back on your previous ones and identifying what really happened between the 2 of you. It's through relationships, especially the failed ones, that we get ourselves. Don't keep yourself from dwelling on the past, this is your brain trying to learn from past experiences. I once followed that counterintuitive advice and quickly tried to not think of it anymore, for how much it hurt. I woke up one day 4yrs later realising I never grieved, never moved on, never understood what happened and while I started realising it was mostly misunderstandings that kept us apart I had to face that it was 4yrs too late to come back with questions and good intentions. Never be afraid to feel, for there is ALWAYS worse than feeling even despair, there is not feeling at all.
Anonymous
Your ex is going to think about you some time. Your were part of his or her life. He or she will probably compare you to other people. That is the way to process and grow up. Likewise, you are thinking about your ex when you raise this question. To know if your ex is thinking about you, you may track the Insta or other social media. You can also ask a mutual friend. However what you think is more important. Are you not letting go? Do you feel like you have not finished it well? How much do you care bout your ex? Get things prepared in your mind. Then life will be easier whether you know it or not.
Anonymous
Why does it matter if your ex is thinking or not thinking about you. What matters is what you think. Like Budha said - What you think, you become. And Everyone want to be Happy. When you are anxious about what your ex might be thinking, you are losing your peace of mind. You are forgetting to live in the current moment, and your happiness is in someone else's hand. That is pathetic. Why do you choose to suffer? Choose happiness. Choose Freedom. let others think what they want to think. Love without expectations. and always Love. Keep loving. Keep smiling. Spread happiness and be happy