How do you deal with the temptation to contact your ex?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

originalbraveheart63
Instead of thinking about your ex try to do something you like, maybe watch a film or just do your hobby.
FrancescaBay
I think it's best if you keep yourself involved in all sorts of activities. Keep your mind off of them and focus on yourself. When I had to deal with this temptation, I joined a drum class! (I still suck at the drums but it did help me enjoy and have some time to heal)
HappyAndReady
Delete every way of contacting them. Delete their number, their facebook contact, their instagram, twitter, everything. Do this so that if you have to contact them, you at least have a barrier of having to re-add them on social media before you actually make contact. It won't be a perfect stop, but it'll at least be a hindrance.
Anonymous
If the break up has been bitter then it is wise to not be in touch. Delete all the means of contact. Hmm and everytime you feel like contacting the person, write one reason why you broke up on a piece of paper. Keep a jar and add the paper to it. Keep doing it everytime that you feel tempted. When you will look at the jar filled up slowly, it will remind you of the multitude reasons you have to not contact him\her :). Even if at times, it is sooo hard to let go of someone you have loved...and shared beautiful moments with.
versatileOasis13
Basically you should get dispose of any contact you can possibly have with him: by phone, Internet and even personally. If you work with him/her at the same place and have duties to do, treat him only as friend and do the time you have to spend because of work, but then go back to work and do whatever you have to do to get rid of temptation.
Theresalwaystomorrow
Think of why not to contact them. If you keep telling yourself "I shouldn't contact my ex because of A but I miss them because of B." Try distracting yourself or spend time with some friends. Maybe binge watch a show you like!
enjoyiableWind74
I would distract myself from contacting my ex and get over that momentary temptation of feeling to contact my ex
cherryblossoms1000
You should think about why the person is your ex and not your actual partner. It is easy to hang on to just the good memories and forget what actually caused the breakup. Remember that it is never good to let an old flame burn twice, and therefore you have to stick to no-contact to avoid hurting yourself again
SpunkyMonkey100
it's extremely difficult to resist the urge of contacting someone you were once exceptionally fond of. although i believe a good strategy to set in place would be creating and implementing as many diversion tactics as possible. hobbies, recreational activities, realistically anything that can be utilised as a form of enjoyment (provided it's constructive) are great tools to implement when you struggle at times when you miss someone who is absent and is currently no longer in your life. feelings don't just mysteriously vanish overnight. a breakup is an ongoing process. however exercising that restraint and finding other ways throughout those tough times can not only be positive but also quite helpful too!
Anonymous
I block my ex on all social media websites in order to have no way to easily contact them. This also helps to get over them quickly as you are not constantly reminded of them.
Anonymous
First try to talk to someone else. Keep your mind distracted. Go read a book or do something new. Write a letter to them. Say everything you need and want to say. Then put it away or destroy it. Go make friends. Go hangout at a music venue or something and start talking to new people. Go have fun. Walk around or drive while listening to music. Write a story. Write your story. It will be a test. A test of strength. It is ok. Youre gonna do it. If you slip it is ok. Just try to keep your mind occupied by anything but them as hard as that is it can be done.
Nicolecanhelp
It is tough you just need to tell yourself you have more self respect then that and arrange to call a friend instead
Anonymous
Think about how you could be more productive and enjoy a hobby, think about what you''ve been through because of the person, It's a closed door, You can be who you and go on
Anonymous
Remember why you broke up in the first place. A ex is a ex for a reason. If you contact him / her your only holding on to them longer there isn't any benefits from your end of things. So remember how things didn't work out and remind yourself you deserve the world and not just a star if u get my saying.
courageousBlueberry94
Deleting their contact details rarely works as you'll always find a way to find them. Do this if you want, but make a hard rule that you'll never contact them when you feel vulnerable (e.g. when you've had a drink or in the night when you are alone with your thoughts.) - write the message without filling out the 'too' and then save it. Odds are that you'll think better of it by next lunchtime. Also - replace the gap that the end of the relationship has left, and not necessarily with another relationship. I started volunteering at something that I was good at, and this was a massive confidence boost for me, reducing my emotional dependency on the idea of my ex.
Lemoncozmix
Try to distract yourself or move away from the temptation e.g. Blocking or removing from contacts until you don't feel that temptation anymore.
LisaDB
I try to take a step back and think objectively. Does the ex deserve to be contacted? If not sure, I ask friends and family, OR imagine that a friend is in my situation. Now, I wouldn't want her to make a mistake, would I? So the same goes for me. It is also helpful if I cut off all contact with an ex, so I literally stop myself from being exposed to him.
sugaryTree93
Just reminding myself the reason they became ex. The pain that I felt, I see if that person is alright not talking to me.
optimisticBlossom66
Its best to block off any ties that could give you access to contact your ex. I blocked my ex on Facebook and deleted the number and the messages so I couldn't talk to him. It took alot of willpower but it helped me so much and eventually I came to a stage where I forgot that I forgot that I blocked him. If you feel that you need further support, maybe rely on a friend to help you avoid temptation?
wonderfulHeart21
That's a tricky one. They're your ex for a reason. If you broke up with them, you had a reason to do it. If they broke up with you, you probably got hurt... think back to why you broke up in the first place... that's always a good place to start
Anonymous
Spend some time with good friends and try to meet new people... Sooner or later you will find a new love.
Healer94
Just remember why we broke up in the first place. We always tend to rewind the happy times and convince ourself that we are nothing without them. Try to remember the times when things didnt work out as well. This will stop you from messaging your ex.
Anonymous
I try to list all the reasons why I had to leave him. In my case the relationship was abusive, though he loved me a lot he didn't like a lot of things in me and i wanted to be with someone who'd accept me for who I am. I think you shouldn't change for anyone. And it got more abusive and well it ended. If there are certain things that are tempting you to think of him/her maybe you can collect it all and put them away. Track your emotions, if you're tempted to reach out to your ex only when you feel lonely or scared, maybe try to work out a way where you wouldn't have to think of him/her during your times of need, you can reach out to your trusted friends, maybe in this instance. For me the first one works everytime. Oh or maybe listen to 'clean' by Taylor Swift it's got a very good bridge part. Okay sorry 😅 anyways i hope it works out!
Paperdoll21
Well i personally found it easy to resist the temptation is think why we broke up. If he hurt you, Its best to never run back to what hurt you in the first place.
Anonymous
Remember what they did to you and why you are no longer together or try and talk to a good friend instead
Anonymous
Remember why you ended things with them. Contacting them would only make it harder for both of you to move on.
Anonymous
The temptation is very hard, but as a step in your life you must move on. Wether you broke up with them, or they broke up with you, you must always move on. What I do is, go to the gym, play video-games, or listen to music to help deal with the temptation.
Missingperiodsandcommas
Ah the dreaded ex withdrawals! This plagues a large amount of people of all orientations and genders. My advice is the tough self love approach; cut all ties. Eliminate all areas of digital contact eg. Phone, social media. Every bit of it. In fact, block their number too. If you can’t get ahold of them then the temptation is thwarted unless you’re going to send a raven. Minimise in person contact. If you move in the same circles it’s best to give them a wide berth so you can sort through any underlying feelings with dignity and privacy. It takes time to get over someone but with self discipline and time it can be done.
Anonymous
Remember why I am not with them in present time. It really depends on why you are no longer together. If it was your fault forgive yourself & if it was their fault move on & don't open yourself up again to be hurt.
Anonymous
I distract myself, i do something different and avoid things that remind me of them. I not to think of them