How long does it take to get over a break up?

Lisa Meighan, BSc Psychology (Honours)

Hello, I am Lisa and I work in a person-centred approach mixed with cognitive behavioural therapy. I believe we all have the potential to be the best we can be.

Anonymous
December 22nd, 2020 12:20pm
It totally depends to the person and the kind of a relationship they had. If they were really close and were dating for a long time it will defently be harder and it will take longer. It will probably take around 6-7 months. They will be things that will remind you your relationship and the person you used to be with but just because you miss someone, that doesn't mean they were the best for you. We have to move on and accept the past and our/their choice. It will defently be hard at first, but everything will turn out okay.
eyecgurlsupport
Breakups are different for everybody. There is no one answer on how long it will take or what will help but I find it most helpful to learn about yourself and self care. It is good to ask questions about what lessons the relationship has taught you, how you can grow from it, what you wish to take to the next relationship. During the process of recovering from the break up you will learn to find more about yourself. Like what makes you happy, feel better, what you want out of a relationship, whether you want one at all, and how to treat your mind and body to find happiness independently.