How long does it take to get over someone?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

Anonymous
Coming from personal experience, its gonna take a while hun:) I know how all consuming love can feel and when it lasts for as long as mine did, it took time for me to get over him. youre going to feel like a part of you is empty for a second, and that is okay. better to grieve what you've lost and slowly, but surely move on, instead of ignoring your feelings and them coming back to haunt you later. it took me time to get over everything I felt for him, the good and the bad, but the sooner I realized how much he meant to me and accepted that he would always be a part of my life, I was able to come to terms with everything that had happened, and now im still getting there, but im okay:)
WynterRose
Getting over someone has no set time expectancy. It's important to remember to be patient with yourself as you may receive all types of advice from well-meaning friends and family as to how long it took them or what not and this most likely won't be the same for you because each person is an individual. It can take a long time in short but the amount of time varies greatly between each individual and each day (especially at first when you're not ready to get over the person yet) you will be taking strides on your own that don't seem like much but they are. It's also ok if you're not over someone after a short or extended period of time and you're recognizing that and taking time for self-care. Because as I've mentioned sometimes things take much longer than we expect with no end in sight.