How to forgive someone who cheated on you?

Shruti Naik, MS in Counselling and Psychotherapy

I'm passionate about providing a non-judgmental & supportive platform to my clients to help them understand & accept themselves & overcome any emotional issues troubling them.

CinnamonPancakes
The absolute best thing to do is to forgive someone who has cheated on you. Please believe that you don’t stay with that person because the saying is definitely true, “ once a cheater always a cheater”. They will always find more excuses to do it again and sometimes even blame you for them cheating but always know that it is never your fault. Forgive them and empathize with them because there is something seriously wrong going on in their lives on the inside of them and that is not your fault. Forgiveness is important to allow you to heal and to move on. It’s not to make them feel better but to give yourself inner peace.
electricFriend52
I think that its just a matter of me realizing that I was only hurting myself, the other person did not even think of me anymore and I was the only one hurting. Grudges hurt you the most, and the other person does not even realize hoe you are even feeling. Once I figured that out, it was easy for me to see that forgiveness was just the best option for me. That also help me move on from that person, and that just made me a stronger person. Life goes on and you either move with it or you're left behind.
Anonymous
Understand why they cheat, understand their weaknesses and loose morals. Understand that you deserve better and forgiving is a way to heal yourself, else, the emotion be it love or anger you hold against them will stress you out. People are raised different with different beliefs, so everyone is not obliged to be as you. Most people think forgiving is for the who did wrong, but it's for yourself. It's so that you can learn to let go for the days and things that didn't go well, to smile again and be free of their thoughts and rise above them.
CleverPinky12
1. To forgive someone tell your mind that you deserve better than him/her. 2. Sometimes heart need more time to understand the pain than your brain. So give some time for yourself. 3. Forgiving makes yourself strong and happy. So Forgive. 4. Think about the happy moments you spend with them and the love they provide for you. These will make you feel better when you interrupted by their thoughts of being cheated. 5. Forgiving those who cheated you is the best revenge you can give for them. So Forgive. There is no one in the world so perfect, including ourselves. So try to Forgive.
Anonymous
Why you keep your anger on a hypocrite? A hypocrite person who cheated on you don't deserve your anger or hate. That person showed you he or she can't stay in your zone of commitment. It says that not everyone cheat in a relation, but it is also true that not all can give full commitment in a relationship. So as very few can keep their commitment on relationship so those people are rare, unique and great. A great person doesn't want to keep anger in his or her mind for someone who cheat. A great person forgive a cheater and feel secure that he or she come out from a danger before the matter get more personal.
Ayeeitsbrii
If they truly love you they will make it obvious and they will regret it after happening. You won't forget about the cheating happening but you can give them another shot.
HawaiianAir
This page is an amazing resource on how to forgive someone who cheated on you - I read through these answers below and immediately felt better about my situation. I think that the key thing to remember is that you don't need this person anymore after they've cheated on you. They've moved on to thinking about someone else, and you should too. Forgive, forget (even if they don't say they're sorry!), and move on.
You just have to let it go. The past is the past and the only way that you can move forward is by letting go of the past.
LoveAll425
Its gonna take some time , because you have to build trust and love again !!! but if you really loved this person then evrything will work out just fine !! :)
Anonymous
Firstly, establish if you actually want to forgive them. Cheating is not good- it means you were off their mind long enough for them to do things with someone else. If you really do, the best thing you can do to forgive is to not ignore any feelings that may arise and try and talk them out with your partner to make them understand that what they have done is wrong and they should never do it again.
ImGladToHelp
If you think they deserve to be forgiven but you are having a hard time doing it, try and understand why they did it. Ask them questions and get the story straight.
jonsnowed
Keeping a grunge against them is only going to harm your well being. It's only going to make you think about the person all the time, when you probably don't want to, It will remind you about the time he/she hurt you. Forgiving them is like freeing yourself from those bitter hurtful memories and moving on.
SimplyRose1234
June 2nd, 2016 6:08am
first of all, ask yourself if you even want to forgive that person who cheated. if you do, it shouldnt be very hard, but just try to spend time with that person and see if you can forgive him?her.
helpfulocean33
Talk with them about. Let them know that them cheating on you really hurt you and let them warm your trust and forgiveness. It'll take time and if the person is worth your forgiveness they'll wait and earn it.
Anonymous
Firstly, know that forgiving someone does not entail that you HAVE to get back with said person or even allow that person to hold the same spot in your life again. Forgiveness is to let go. The rest falls into place after.
Anonymous
It hurts, it kills, it pulls you apart, it confuses you, it scares you, it shocks you, but most importantly and the most shadowed part of being cheated on is that it helps you grow. It teaches us that we are worth more then what we settle for, we deserve the best. Being cheated on will never be easy or explainable in that sense, it's most often more painful then bringing let go. But those who cheat on us don't know us, they are at loss for the love we are able and willing to provide. Forgive them for they have helped those of us who have felt the pain conflicted by them to realize that we are worth more then we set our selves up for. Forgive them for it is their loss and hopefully one day they too will grow and learn the value of love, life, emotion, and self worth of not only ourselves, but how it is so easy to affect the self worth of another.
Anonymous
You would have to build up a trust with them all over again, but why should you forgive them? If they cheated on you then it was their loss
summernightdaze
I think that getting to the underlying reason of why they did it is very important, and seeing if those reasons can be fixed.
Anonymous
If you don't want to forgive them, you shouldn't. You can only forgive him/her when you are ready for it.
Avene
Not everyone can forgive a breach of trust like that, and that's okay. If you are willing to try, it's going to take a lot of time, communication and effort on both parts. Be honest with each other, and see if you can find a third professional party if you don't feel like you are getting anywhere.
Anonymous
I know this is going to sound cliché. However, this cliché is a good cliché- I promise! If you want to forgive someone who cheated on you , you have to forget them. You will then not have to be thinking about them or their cheating.
Princessonablackhorse
Just realize that he/she was an idiot to cheat on you and he/she gave you a chance to find someone much better than them.....
enhledoll94
Well try to make peace with the fact that that person doesnt deserv you.you deserv much more then someone who cheat on you.let go of them
English4Life
You should first get closure from the person who cheated on you. Then cry baby, cry it all out. When the time comes, you should accept that people aren't perfect so are relationships, and accept what he/she has done to you. Later on, find in you heart that you deserve to be happy. Forgiveness is one step to moving on.
BassistBriar
To forgive someone who cheated on you, realize that they are missing out on the best person in the world! They don't know what they're missing out on. Tell that person that even though he or she cheated on you, you still forgive them.
originalArrow40
Forgiveness is not for one else. It is for yourself. Letting go of how you feel should be done on your own terms and not someone else's. Take your time, when you are ready you will know. Do not let anyone pressure you.
drayofLight
That is a tough situation and one I have been through myself, several times. First step is to choose to forgive and over time continue to work on letting go of the bad feelings it has caused in you. It might take time and depending on your situation difficult choices to make regarding this person that hurt you. First step is choosing to forgive though and you will find your path as you search out your feelings and heal.
neverendingStar20
Forgiving is very hard. I think the best method is to just know that they lost out on a good person. Once you realize that hopefully forgiveness will come easily.
Anonymous
It is very hard to forgive some times but it is better to forgive then to carry that with us and hold that anger and frustrations
Anonymous
Understand the reason he/she did it,and move on.Accept the fact that something went wrong with the relationship