How to get over someone you have to see everyday?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

ListenWithoutJudjment
When you think of them try not to associate bad thoughts to them, yes they probably are evil/horrible/unbearable. But the only way to 'get over' someone is to essentially forget about them, this will not happen instantly. But more as a slow but steady washing out. You will start to not feel anger/hate/sadness, just the memories of these feelings. Say strong. If I can do it, you can too
Anonymous
Keep busy with new activities, always helps! Keeping preoccupied will give you space and time. Be Well!
AncientSoul
Unfortunately I had to do that, twice in my life, wasn't a good time, I can assure you. I realized what I was doing when it happens that I had to meet this someone again in life after our mutual time together as study colleagues. I realized I'm acting like if I'm on a diet, and I cannot come near a burger, but it's just in my reach now, It need exercising , like a muscle, but found out that with simple notion to myself not to indulge myself into thinking of how much I love this person or how was our lives going to be if we're together, etc... I just DON"T do that, I instead focus on the now and act like a stranger and really put myself into a stranger shoes... I hope it works for you as it worked for me.
Anonymous
It is really difficult at first because you always see them, even if its a slight glance or hear them. Its still difficult. What made it worse for me was that we ran in the same circle of friends which really sucked. It's just time really. Over time you will become immune to seeing them, even though there's still a slight flutter in your stomach once you do. It will take a lot of time, but eventually it won't even bother you.
AfterAllThisTimeAlways
I personally find it helpful to dive into a book. Probably harry potter, its good sometimes to dive into your own world. Just remember to not stay stuck in it.
Anonymous
Getting over someone you see everyday can be hard. I guess you try your best to avoid them.. and it's all in the state of mind reminding yourself you deserve better and nothing less... and once you realise that you wouldn't see them in the same way as before.
livingitup
Do your best to think how you would treat (him/her) if they were simply a friend, and work to implement that into how you react to seeing them every day. It will take a while, but it'll start to feel normal after a while!
kasthelp
Try your best to ignore them, only talk to them if you absolutely have to, and push past the awkwardness you will get over them with time.
NotAGod
November 22nd, 2017 2:23am
As hard it is, and boy have we all been there, distance yourself. First, from talking (doesn't matter if you are close, the person should understand - this means you have to tell the person your feelings). Then, slowly but surely, it'll go away. The memories? Maybe never but the pain, yes.
globalTouch59
I am in the exact situation and I believe seeing them everyday actually helps with the healing process. Although it may sound crazy trust me. You need to familiarise yourself with seeing them everyday so that you can heal healthily. This is much more healthy than not seeing someone in a few months and then bumping into them again as past feelings will return as you don't know how to respond to them being there as you have leaned to live without them there. It also has to be said that you should focus on yourself instead of who you are getting over" It is inevitable that there is going to be pain and hurt involved but you need to find a healthy way of coping with that for you. Befire you know it you will be able to walk straight past them and perhaps even smile at them. By seeing them everyday you are forced to acknowledge and accept your feelings, It may not sound like it but getting over them will happen eventually - you need to learn to recover first and then everything else will fall into place
pOsiTiVeLibRa
Try avoid eye contact. Meet new people. Make that certain someone irrelevant to your life. Don't waste your time thinking about them or on them
LovelyNessa
I believe you can get over someone you see everyday by remembering how your life was without them. You were fine without them and doing good just remember that.
August 3rd, 2016 1:29am
Respect where u stand in that persons life and put that person in the friend zone. If you do have to bump into them a simple high bye is fine.
Anonymous
It's often hard to get over someone, especially if you have to see them everyday. I would suggest surrounding yourself with friends and letting them know how you feel. They can help to take your mind off of the person that you're trying to get over.
SirNobilis
Remain focused on your daily tasks, if and when you run into them keep the conversation short and keep moving. Eventually your confidence will return and things will seem less intimidating. Eventually it will become a habit and normalcy will settle back in.
peacefulkat
Talking to them and try making it civil with them. Think of different ways to get over them, try seeing new people.
Anonymous
Unfriending him/her from social apps so you won't see any updates from him/her, also to prevent yourself to get trigger by the updates. If he/she text or even call you, hang him/her up and directly confront him/her by asking why did you call me & telling him/her not to call you again. Tell him/her to settle the leftover stuff himself/herself, do whatever he/she wants, show that you don't care about it anymore.
energizingLion16
Although it’s difficult, you should learn that you can’t put what you want to do on hold because of them. It’s hard to see them but just remember why you are there
Borka
When I broke up with my first love, that was really hard, because we saw each other every day at the work. I wasn't angry, I was just sad, and I couldn't handle my feelings toward him, because I saw him again and again everyday. I got better, when I came to the realization, that we were a really bad couple. If you are in a relationship, and one of you isn't happy, that isn't the good way, and you have to accept that. And if you do this, you will definitely get better. I got better, and now we are very close friends, and this in't awkward at all. I think, you should talk with yourself about your feelings, sleep a lot, and relax. In my point of view, the avoiding is not the best choise, try to find your peace instead.
SpreeSpirit13
People get over pain in different ways. You have to chose what works best for you. I personally feel that getting over somebody you see everyday can be very very painful in the beginning but for the long run it's very good because you become so very strong facing all that head on everyday. I personally would suggest you make a playlist of all the empowering songs and play it everytime you see him/her.
Anonymous
You can just ignore them and talk to other people,and you can also find a new group of friends to hangout with.
awesomePower17
Keep your head held high and remember that you are amazing and you are worth so much! Remember to stay positive about it and use it to make you stronger.
SuperSandi
The best answer, in my opinion since cutting that person put completely is out of the question, is distance yourself as best you can. I would distract myself by doing other things to where I don't need to be around them or speak to them as best as I could. And if you have the opportunity, I would talk to and hang out with other people around you and try to make and to hang out with them so you have something to look forward to and distract you on your down time.
Anonymous
You remember that everything happens for a reason and continue to go through life with your head held High
wonderfulEmbrace7935
I know that this is hard, sometimes it doesn't make you sleep at night and sometimes makes you wonder what's wrong with you. But you know what? The way you feel now will not last forever. Time will heal your wounds and your heart will open again. In the meantime, you can prepare yourself becoming the person that you want to be. Focus on yourself. Learn something new and start doing things like you always wanted to do. Did you always wanted to take that gym class or wanted to learn a new language but never had time? Well, go for it now! Fill your life with the things that you like and be the best version of yourself.
Samfoxy91
It's very tough there is no right way or wrong way it's hard believe me it is. But soon everyday it will get a little easier if you can try and limit the time you are around this person it would help I know It is not always possible to do so but if it's someone you work with try changing shifts if it's an ex and you have children or still live together take time for yourself whatever your situation is make sure your taking some time out for you
WeWillGetThereTogether
I got over someone whom I have to see everyday by keeping myself busy with other stuff. I started hanging out with friends, tried to do things differently, and I just focus on my personal growth.
Anonymous
This is tough. Feelings linger. Concentrate on small steps first. Being around them at all without letting it ruin your day completely is a good start. Take your time and have realistic expectations about how long it will take.
braveZebra7008
Try to block them out as much as you can. If you don’t acknowledge them then it will get easier. Yes it hurts but it will get better
Anonymous
Don't look at them, and avoid them as much as possible. Don't talk to them either. You might have to be around them everyday but you don't need to actually be with them.