How to get over someone you have to see everyday?

Jui Shankar, Ph.D

My worldview offers a systems perspective that values diverse clients and their struggles. I believe supportive and nonjudgmental therapeutic relationships empower clients.

starryPanda93
think how bad that person has done to you! Forget all the good times just remember the reason y he or she left uhh
AveryLenneth1
I have the exact same problem. How I stopped liking them was by hanging out with my friends more often and doing things that I enjoy. Try taking walks or reading. It might take your mind off of them.
Anonymous
I have this exact problem right now :( i know the right thing to do is ignore him but it is so hard i see myself finding him everywhere.
Anonymous
Know that if they’re not currently in your life it’s most likely for a reason. It may take a while and it going to be frustrating but it’s important to let yourself heal and don’t try to escape the pain. Rely on friends and family who love you and be gentle with yourself.
chlomb
try to avoid seeing them completely . if its in school take different ways , if you have the same class avoid them completely
Anonymous
This is a tricky one but it happens. Sometimes completely blocking them from your brain helps. Try to think of other things. Maybe stay away from them for a little bit until you know how you feel
RedVase1234
Think past the problematic parts of your relationship, and focus on reducing the power this individual has in your daily life.
potatobreadpoint
It is important to acknowledge the fact that this relationship was important for your personal development. You don't need to rush, take your time.
generousPrince61
This is a very difficult situation. But have a conversation with that person to establish boundaries. For example, if it's too difficult to communicate directly, you could use a "communication book" to communicate, and that can help avoid draining arguments.
Allears247
Unfortunately, its a waiting game. Waiting for your feelings for that person to diminish to a point where you can cope.
TripleL7
Just be strong. Be neutral. It's hard if you really live them. but you have to live your life still. There's no really getting iver someone theres more of just letting the old memories fade and learning to live without out them. No matter what you have to think that you're watching them mive on and live their life but they're also watching you move on and live yours. So take care of yourself do thinks for you. Love yourself. and stay happy. Don't do things to show out or think that you're making them jealous. Don't put on a show ... Move on and live your life for yourself.
GEMINIALDRIDGE8D
DISTRACT YOURSELF! I cannot stress this enough. You must surround yourself by positive people, friends and family. Distract yourself. Go out. Have some fun with others. And although it may be difficult sometimes you have to find reasons why you deserve better than them. Even if the relationship ended due to a fault of your own, you must create reasons in your head as to why you deserve better and how you can be happier on your own or with another than with your ex. Because it will happen. You will get over it. It will take time, but eventually you will be happy again and you will be over it. At the same time however, you must still face the reality that you will have to face them and until you are over them it will probably hurt.
LumosPatronum
It's hard! But I think the best way to go about it is to remember why you are no longer together. It's not fun to keep reliving the reasons you're not apart but it's important to keep that reality check going so that if you start to slip you can easily recall why being with them is not a good idea. If it's possible avoid being alone with the person as that can tempt old emotions to come back up and can make things really awkward. Outside of that, now is the time to focus on you, what improvements do you want to make in your life? Where do you want to be in a years time? Focus on those things and try to let the past stay in the past as much as you can.
BrightAfterglow
Focus on self-care! Start a new hobby or activity, get involved. This focus shift will harness your energy into a positive result for yourself. It is easy to lose sight of what is truly important and we are so very important. Consciously immerse yourself in your well being so deeply with self-love that the past has no room in your present. The past is behind you and if someone asks or tries to ruffle feathers, respectfully tell them that you do not live there anymore. Your mind is a powerful strong resilient tool, don't underestimate your power!
Anonymous
Maybe think about how they affected your life negatively that made you want them out of it. This will help you get over them and your emotions for them. Or if you still have feelings for them, then maybe you should tell them how you feel and maybe they will feel the same way for you! If they don't feel the same way, then that's okay cause there are numerous other people out there and you will eventually find the one for you and maybe it will be someone that will treat you better than that person you have to see everyday!
jenna316
Remind yourself that you are your own independent person every time you see them. Seeing them can hurt, but use seeing them every day to your advantage. It helps to remind yourself why they did not work out, and Try to remember the not so good memories instead of the great ones. It will be hard to not find yourself always thinking of them when you constantly have to see them, but as long as you focus on yourself, you will get through it. And if not, you can always come and talk to a listener here at 7 cups!
brightBreeze44
Focus on caring for yourself, the same way you would getting over someone even if you didn't. It may take longer to "get over" them, but it is an essential skill.
emotionalfreak25
By anticipating possible scenarios. Like Ask yourself, “What do I do if I come face to face with him in the elevator?” A reasonable response would be to say to him, “Hi. Awkward elevator ride, right?” You can always wait for another elevator. No one is forcing you to do anything you don’t want to do.
latticinio
This is tough, and I'm currently experiencing the same thing. A few things that help me are surrounding myself with friends. It will take your mind off of the person you're trying to get over.
Skybringslight
The most important thing is to smile at them when you see them. I know that sounds ridiculous and hard to do- and it is. However, if you smile at them then it shows that you are beyond petty post-breakup drama. You have the ability to move forward, no matter how difficult it may feel inside. You also need to focus inward, draw, listen to music, do whatever it takes to keep your mind off of them and time will do the rest.
MonicaQu
That is a sticky situation when you have to see them everyday. I guess in such a case you could work on your confidence as you want them to remember you as someone confident.
Anonymous
By letting them comfortable around you. When they feel comfortable ,you yourself could move on and save your time in getting over them as you already are. For eg. You must think that how comfortable we are in markets and malls as there are so many strangers.
Anonymous
Getting over mean to look them in eyes and say you are not the one i want and need.. And honestly this is the best experience to get over someone you loved.. You get free . But its not easy.. You have to follow 3 steps. Accept they are not good, then focus on your life and goals, and then just find other people already there for u.
myungz
Learn to forgive while remembering the past. For the past helps to teach you what should be your number one priority.
Anonymous
Having to get over someone you see every single day is very difficult because of simple misunderstandings or because you were highly interested in that person and it's difficult to get past what do you and that person have gone through learning to relax and learning to treat the situation whether it is through business or personal you try your best to deal with things as humanly as possible
Anonymous
Gonna make this simple... Have courage and be strong. I Mean have the courage to be strong. If that person hurt you, you don't deserve that at all. Ignore, ignore, ignore! I know it's hard, that's where being Strong Comes in. Forget them, erase them from your memory and it could be the opposite from some. Maybe being friendly helps but keep it to a minimal so you don't get attached. Your all strong enough to seek help so I know you will figure it out..
Anonymous
For me, I tried not to run into them as often and decreased conversation with them to almost nothing. Then I worked on accepting what happened. It ended and that's okay. Over time you speak again and gradually it gets better. You may even get to be friends again :)
cuddlyPink85
Hmmm... This is really difficult! Maybe you could sacrifice a change if this is affecting you. This must be difficult, therefore you have to do what is best for you. You are probably in grieving mode and seeing this person everyday must be awful for you. You could try avoiding this person, that might help.
cpcla
Try to rebuild a friendship with them over time, or if that's not possible, just don't worry about them being there, instead focus on what you're there to do.
Anonymous
Well seeing them everyday, you began to realize it's hard but then again knowing that you'll occassionally run into them at times. smile be friendly but know as each day comes you'll be better equated of getting over them even if you see them everyday. i wouldn't try to get over it so soon but if you want to find a solution. try spending some time in areas you know they wouldn't be hanging out at. or if you do talk with them treat them like a regular friend.