How to get over someone you never dated?

Danielle Johnson, MSED, Community mental Health Counseling, LMHC

Sometime situations and feelings can be so strong that we struggle to function. You are not alone! My practice is flexible and open-minded and tailored to your personal needs.

HelpfulMarissa49
You have to realize that they were never yours in the first place. Make it clear to yourself that they probably aren't thinking about you the way you are thinking about them.
greatfulMoment89
You can do so , by start dating a person you can see by sight you will forget about that person eventually
compassionateParadise25
First you have to stop obsessing over small stuff, put some distance between the two of you, stop your words revolving around him or her, view him or her objectively, and tell yourself why a relationship is not good and lastly talk it over with your friends...
Anonymous
I found I only got over that after I dated someone I had no real feelings for (he was just nice) and found myself falling in love with this person. We eventually ended it but it helped a lot because I realized that I have the power to fall in love with practically anyone I choose.
Anonymous
Remember that 'dating' is just a word, and catching feelings without any relationship going on isn't normally. Distance yourself from the person, and work on recovering yourself. It may take longer than you think, but time always heal.
Yati2
Its about one's self-esteem more than anything else. In order to get over is to confront that person if possible. Just to bring out whats inside. And if person is not accessible then its important get involved with someone. Because being alone invite alot of unwanted thoughts.
SalParadise
The same way you get over someone you did date. In your brain, there is no difference to those feelings. There will be a mourning and moments of sadness, and a way to recovering from it step by step just like getting out of any relationship. The sooner you start processing you are not with this person, and you cannot know if you will ever be, the sooner you can free your energies to love and be loved by other people
Anonymous
The best way to accomplish this is to distance yourself from them as far as possible. If this person is a friend, then consider compartmentalizing your emotions. Treat them strictly as a friend, and cope with your romantic feelings by moving on, seeing a therapist, talking with another friend or family member, or projecting those feelings into a hobby. If this isn't a person that you interact with regularly, consider removing them from all social media. Limit your contact with this person till you're over them. It wouldn't be much of a loss if they weren't a part of your life in the first place.
beccagreys23
Try to find something in them that you do not like. It could help you get over them more quickly. Good luck.
sugaryZebra39
I would say practice self care. Go to the gym, listen to music, be with friends. Also, treat yourself. Eat good food. See a movie... have fun with your life! With that being said, don't be irresponsible. No rebound sex, don't over indulge, don't do anything stupid
Anonymous
This is one of the hardest things to get over. Only thing that helped me was, always look on the bright side. It wasn't your fault. They are missing out on your life. It isn't because you done anything wrong!
Anonymous
Try and distract yourself and meet new people go out more and enjoy life. There's so much to see and many new things to learn.
MindfulHermit
For starters, socially detoxify yourself from them. Try using this formula - Out of sight, Out of mind. This will help to some extent. If it's bigger than just this and it's hurting you too much then find a way out through a way into your hobbies. Pursuing hobbies is a great big of a deal than it sounds.
imannoyedwithpeople
remever that the relationship was only in your head
dancinglover
December 22nd, 2017 11:48pm
I learned that I am most important, not some dude I don't even know romantically. For all I know he could be a real jerk. It is hard but so many girls and guys go through the same thing.
Anonymous
When they reject you, take it a step forward. A step forward where you've overcome those nerves that most people get about whether or not to ask them out. Always walk away with confidence and take what you learned to the next person you come across.
Anonymous
Your brain is much stronger than you may know. It can think and understand rationality. Realize that you are living the illusion of what could it be with that person when you can actually be open to make this happen with someone new and real in your life. Every moment that you are spending in thinking about someone that was never there is a moment being wasted of new opportunities.
QuietIsVilent
Look ahead towards bigger and better things in front of you there are so many more open doors for you, you just gotta take the first step away from the direction of that person
cheerfulSpace15
Focus on something else, they take too much time away from you. A good thing to is find a hobby that you love and makes you feel good.
Anonymous
this one is a very good question. I guess for me never having dated a person you can slowly just stay away from trying to make any kind of contact with his person that you never dated especially if this individual lives a long distance away for example a different country where it is nearly impossible for one to not be able to visit or the other way around due to policy regulations with passports
avaryteal01
Think back to the time you didn’t want them. To the time you were fine on your own. If you have been without them once, you can do it again. I believe in you.
intelligentBeauty89
Get therapy, talk to friends & family. Concentrate on you and learning to really love yourself. Focus on your personal life goals and personal self development.
JasonTehPanda
Learn what made you attracted to them and find someone else that attracts you in the same way.
Briyonalove
I think its best to go and try to fall for someone new if you can...most times it can be hard to get over some one but I hope you make it work
Anonymous
hmm, well that kind of depends on the situation & the people involved. if i were you, i would try to take my mind off of things. talking to someone you trust, doing something you like, listening to music etc. All of those things can be really useful. Knowing that this will pass, if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. This doesn't mean that you're unworthy of love or anything of the sort! Please remember that. Letting yourself heal & taking a break could be good as well. I also suggest not dating someone else to replace them, that will must likely make things worse & hurt all involved.
AmityAngel
April 22nd, 2018 9:39am
Moving on takes time. Firstly you need to accept that you can't be with them, and accept your feelings, try not to ignore them. Spending time with family and friends can help as you will start to feel that there is more to life than that person. Remember your self worth!!
AprylFools
The best thing to do here is to surround yourself with friends or things which make you happy. Laughing is a good way to help, but you also need to come to the realisation that you should either make a move or understand that what's not meant to be, is not meant to be.
Anonymous
Realise that it may be impossible for you and then to be together, and that it’s simply just a waste of time. One way I did it was that in my head I would think he was bad, and I know that’s horrible, but eventually I got over him and I found someone else x
eternalOasis79
The sting of what could have been, but never was can be very painful, especially in the case of unrequited love. It is important to own your feelings, they are real and legitimate. Talking to someone who will listen, and be compassionate can definitely help. Time is the ultimate cute. Try to keep your heart open, you never know your paths may cross again someday or you may meet someone who sweeps you off your feet next week that makes you happy that you were free to be with them. So let yourself grieve for the relationship that never was, but don't let it leave you so jaded you miss out on something truly amazing.
Anonymous
I know it must be hard to get over someone, especially a person whom you never dated. Because the cases might have been that we were on the verge of falling in love with them or were already in love but were not brave enough to make an effort towards it. They say, "Time heals gradually" and it indeed does. I know its a typical answer but having our concentration on those things make it worse. Rather try to divert your focus for the time being onto things that you want to prioritise and love doing. You can read your favourite books or go on a holiday or even take a short stroll to keep your mind of that person. Another way, i know this one is a bit brutal, but listing down that person's faults and things you hated about them and reading them aloud to you. It makes you detest them and speeds up the process of getting over them. Just remember one thing, if they never were your person of affection, so nor do they deserve a fragment of your attention. Talking about these feelings can help you as well.