I can't get over my ex after a year. What should I do?

Italy

Anna Pavia, psicologa psicoterapeuta psychotherapist psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

Anonymous
Consider talking to a counselor, or therapist, a lot of them are trained in these situations. Many schools offer this.
Anonymous
Getting over your ex can take time depending upon the duration of your relationship, your involvemement, your emotional quotient, your way of dealing with it, just to mention few. So where few can get over their ex just in matter of days, other can take months, years and even a lifetime. You have to evaluate your case and then your willingness to get over it. Don't push yourself to feel certain way. Let yourself feel honestly whatever you are going through.. feeling of loss, grief, anger, hurt, sadness.. whatever it is for you. Mourn if that makes you feel better. Healing takes place only when you acknowledge your wound. Overlooking it will only make it worse. Take your time and you will move on if not sooner than later. But forcing yourself to move on will not resolve anything, other than settling down the pain even deeper.
Anonymous
February 21st, 2016 8:14pm
Try meeting new people. Or maybe try to make it work with your ex boyfriend/girlfriend. And maybe try to get on meeting apps.
Anonymous
I've been in the exact same position, they're your ex for a reason. And you need to think about yourself and do what's best for you. You will be happy
Anonymous
That's rough. I recommend talking to other people and opening up to other people. You may just find someone else that will treat you better than your ex.
thaedeus93
you need to help yourself,and need to move on.find someone else who will love you more than your ex.
EmilyStrauss
You should think about what are the things you really miss. Persons do not come as a hole, persons are made of experiences, so just think about what is it that you miss: having someone to hug? talking to someone whenever you need to? having someone to go out and have fun with? When you identify the list of things that you are missing from this person you will start acknowledging what are the things you miss and you need to get again in your life. The person you may not get it again, but the "purpose" this person served for you and your emotions can be identified and filled with friends, family and so on. Once we get to understand what we miss and what we need we can start getting it. Good luck in your path. Much Love, Emily
Anonymous
If your ex hasn't got a new relationship, you could perhaps talk to them. If you don't want to do that, try and meet other people. Perhaps you'll find an interest in them, and that'll make you forget your ex, most likely!
Anonymous
When I split up with my ex it took me a long time to get over them, but it does get easier with time. Try and keep busy and focus on the good in your life and pursue your interests and hobbies.
Anonymous
The best thing to do is to go out and have fun. When being in a relationship with someone, it's the best feeling ever. However, after being hurt all the time and getting your heart broken, you feel like you just want to leave but you can't because you 'love' that person too much to let go. That isn't the case, when you feel like that, it will be tough but you just got to let go. It's like a bad habit, it won't just go like that but once it goes then you'll realise how bad it was and you'll be so happy.
comfortingStrawberry12
March 2nd, 2016 9:17am
Find a new man/women. Just try throwing yourself out there, if you fall in love again you will forget about your ex because this new person will matter so much more to you.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 11:30am
remember that we never actually move on, we just learn to live with it. take it in a positive way, and try not repeating the same mistake again :)
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 6:03pm
Forget your past and try to look at your bright present and future. You shouldnt stop living your present thinking of something which happened and something which you cant change..past is written..only thing you can do is write your future and be happy! Cheers
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2016 11:52pm
It will seem like the feelings will never go away, but time heals all wounds. No matter how unhelpful things feel, they'll always get better.
Anonymous
March 3rd, 2016 12:30am
I totally understand that feeling! Sometimes our emotions get the best of us, and it is totally normal. However, I think you should try to remember that there are a lot of other friends around you that love and care for you, and maybe you should try and hang out with them more? Sometimes friendship is the best remedy to a broken heart!
softSunrise6
March 3rd, 2016 9:16am
Just accept that there is no expiration date of not loving someone and you could love that person forever and you don't need to make sense of anything else but that.
competentCaramel88
March 3rd, 2016 11:58am
i am a common girl who has had many problems in the past and this has led me to be very sensitive to others .. all they deserve to feel good
delicateLove36
Maybe try talking to him/her. You may have somethings that you still need to address or things that you didn't feel comfortable saying at first, but now can. (just a thought.).
Anonymous
Surround yourself with good people who support you. Talk to someone you trust about your feelings. Do thinks that make you happy!
Anonymous
I know that friendships are different from relationships but this might help you out. I had been friends with this girl for a few months, know it's not that long but we fell in love as friends, we were so close it was ridiculous, we talked for hours every day and we only stopped talking because our schedules got in the way. Things happened and out friendship ended as fast as it started, I spent the next 6 months longing to have her friendship back and I convinced myself that I wouldn't ever feel that close to another human being again. Then she texted me, I'm not sure why, but it started a conversation, we concluded that neither of us were mad at the other and we just talked about life and how things were going for about an hour before I had to go to work. We clicked just like we always had, and I smiled and laughed out loud, just like the old times when we were close, it was like nothing ever happened between us. But I didn't want to talk to her again, I was scared that it would be less perfect or that things would turn out like they did before, so I didn't text her, and she didn't text me. We haven't spoken since that one conversation but I've realised it was the one thing I needed to move on. I can't say talking to you're person will help you, but it'll change something, maybe just give you a new perspective, I don't know, but I hope you got something from that story and good luck!
Anonymous
you should ask yourself why you have not gotten over your ex yet. but more importantly, give yourself a chance to love yourself and do what makes you feel good.
Anonymous
Go out and meet new people, try to do things that you love and that will make you happy, with some time you'll get over him/her.
livinginthestars12
What helped me to get over my ex was removing them from my life completely. I deleted them from social media, stop texting them, and stopped talking to them. I really tried to focus on the possibility of feeling something for someone else, because ultimately what helped me the most was having feelings for someone else.
weCanBeTheChange16
I had the same problem.... Just try and be friends with them if it don't work out then it wasn't meant to be
SingingPhoenix
Maybe a person doesn't feel they have any closure to the relationship. So, if it's possible, have a talk with the ex-boyfriend. Also, talk about it with someone. Journalling may also help.
supportiveNutella52
Block them on every social Media account. After that if your friends with them on facebook unfollow them, if you think you have to unfriend them even. Go out and do something new, don't be like a tree and stay still move around and do whatever you can to get your mind of off him/her.
IreneDreamer
You should try to start imagining your life without him/her. Instead of seeing everything as an empty space he/she left behind, see it as an oppurtunity to fill your life with something new and exciting. Love yourself, take care of yourself and maybe meet new people. Every ending is a new beginng :)
Bubbles46
- Expert in Breakups
talk to him about it. Maybe he feels the same way. And if not then try to move on I guess......,...,,
incarnadinepetals
Everyone gets over things differently. It might take someone a month just like it might take someone years. Distract yourself with different activities like going out with your friends, writing, dancing, the gym. Soon enough you'll find yourself completely over him!
lexieejolleen
The best thing to do is to try to talk it out with your ex if possible. Maybe just even become friends for awhile.