I can't get over my ex after a year. What should I do?

Italy

Anna Pavia, psicologa psicoterapeuta psychotherapist psychologist counselor

I feel my work as my personal mission and I love it. My work with clients is nonjudgmental, supportive. I am a very good listener. I use several approaches. Amo il mio lavoro.

SunflowerHere2Help
Getting over an ex is SO hard and it may take a long time, there is no set time you should be over them. Just keep going and remain positive that one day you will, think about the reasons why you aren't over him, for example if it's just because you miss them that's not to say you're not doing good without them. Once you meet the right person that will all change.
InsideOut
Try to get some closure! You can write your ex a letter and not send it, see them one last time etc!
Anonymous
Do not fixate on the thoughts about that particular person and all the memories created with him/her. Do not dwell in the past, try to learn from what happened, what could've worked and what didn't work and utilize that knowledge for your next love interest. If your ex misses you too, may be they'll reach out to you, until that happens, you wouldn't want someone who does not want you right?
Anonymous
Try getting in a new relationship with someone you care about , moving on is hard but I know you can do it !
Anonymous
Give yourself more time, not everyone is ready to move on within one year, sometimes you have to take yourself and get some confidence that you can live without the ex. Go out and have some fun or spend more time with some good friends.
WilhemStudley
Take your time, it's like when you lost a relative, you gotta get your time to grief the "loss" there is no "right amount" of time, just time
Anonymous
I was there too,what I did was just take time to myself and figured out what I liked to do by myself
Anonymous
Focus on what makes you happy. Treat yourself, participate in fun activities to keep your mind away.
Anonymous
focus on yourself, your career, make new friends, get socialize, and get busy with positive activities, then you will forget to think about him, and as you improve yourself, someone new who is better than him will come towards you :)
Becclouise
Maybe try to get back in contact with them see if they feel the same? if not then try dating other people, it may take your mind off them and you never know you may fall in love with someone else.
tangledxfeelings
I always think that getting over a person only requires time, unfortunately. Take your time and focus on spending your time distracted and doing things you enjoy with people you love. Sounds like a cliché but that is what really works. You cant make feelings dissappear.
Anonymous
remember your worth. And as the saying goes " fake it till you make it" I've done that when i couldn't get over an ex and now i'm over them.
Anonymous
date some one else
Anonymous
Try to live for yourself for once. Explore the world, explore yourself. Figure out life without him.
Listensforhelp
A broken heart is not easily fixed. It takes time and patience to be mended back together. Like a ball of yarn, sometimes the light fibers tend to loosen from you're fingertips. When you fold it back, there will always be more pieces that you can mend back too it.
iOceaan
Keep your head up. Everything will clear up in time. Hang in there, it sounds cliche but it does get better.
neverendingSunrise99
Replace him. Go out with some else. Have fun with him/her. By the time you'll forget your ex. Just try and you'll see, it will work.
Josefina93
Ending a relationship it's very hard, and it takes different times to heal. The best we can do to help this process, is trying to focus on our selfs, getting to know our selfs, doing things we enjoy (alone or with friends), and finally getting to love our selfs. This worked for me, and it's the best way I know, to feel better and heal your heart. Hope it works for you too.
Mythic
Try involving yourself locally, take your mind off of the situation. Hang out with your friends, try some light exercise like yoga, go to your local shelter to walk a dog, and start up a new hobby, Biggest advice, unfollow your ex from all your social media platforms. Or better yet, go offline for a while. Out of site out of mind. Hope this helps!
Anonymous
You can't really DO anything. You just have to give it more time. It's obvious you really cared about him, and that doesn't just automatically go away.
youcancallmeliv
I think that if you are still thinking about them this much, and you know they are happy, let them be happy. you can move one, its hard but it is okay in the end. xoxo
Anonymous
You need some mental exercise. You are unable to get over with it means that you are struck with your one year old past. Life wont stop, the time you lost will never come back. All you are doing is making things worse. there are so many more people in your life who are more valuable than him/her and so keeping their though in mind, move on..:)
considerateRiver61
Focus on activities that you will like and enjoy. When focusing your energy on objects or things. You will diminish how much you think of others. same goes down to your ex. If you find it a struggle to stop thinking about him at home. maybe play some music you enjoy or start doing crosswords or art work. Find something at home you will enjoy aswell.
TeenMack18
Being stuck on an ex is completely normal! We just have to keep in mind that they are “exs” for a reason. Not every relationship works out, and failed relationships are open doors to new, better ones. People change and grow apart from each other, it’s only human nature. You just have to grow too! When I was a little younger, I was in what I believed to be a very strong relationship, one that would last till forever. Sadly, it didn’t. And I could not for the life of me get over him! It took a lot of self control and confidence to move on, and move forward to something much better. Just keep swimming!!
bubblyFaith17
In my personal experience, I seemed to have some difficulty after holidays, significant dates between myself and my previous partner, times when I was just sitting around doing nothing or if I was some place where we had been. I found new hobbies, found new places to go, went back to school, started eating healthy and going to the gym, made new friends and limited my time to where I would be "tempted" to think of that person. I blocked them on social media and deleted photos of us together. I also deleted their name from my phone book on my phone and deleted any joint accounts and changed or erased any passwords or anything that had their name on it or associated with them. It helped me immensely and one day I just realized that I hadn't even thought of them and I couldn't even remember how long it had been since I DID think of them. It made me laugh and I just went about my day. Those were the things that worked for me. Best of luck. I know it's hard.
WaverlyV
Are these feelings about your ex, or about you? What attracted you to them? Why did you break up? How could it have gone differently? What do you want in a partner, now compare that to them. Ask yourself these questions. You are strong and brave, you know what is right for your wellbeing and mental health. But if they are happy, leave it alone. If this was a one sided relationship, let it go. Some things are meant to end to be able to learn from them and start something knew. In the end, only you know what to do. I wish you luck.
asafezone
Because you're nostalgic over the past, being nostalgic is causing you to think over a time where you were happy with someone. It might not be them that you miss, it might the memories you had with them. Those memories are what you're craving more of even though the person is gone. I myself sometimes still feel sad over a friend that I was in love with whom I lost roughly two years ago. I've realized that I don't miss her, I miss all the memories and times that we shared together because she was all of my firsts.