I cheated, should I break up with my partner?

Penny Dahlen, Ed.D., LPC

I am committed to helping you find your passion, heal old wounds, and flow smoother in all aspects of your life path! I use a compassionate listening approach.

InsideCriminalMinds18
You need to ask yourself if you're going to cheat again. If you can't be loyal to them, then maybe you should consider ending the relationship you have with them.
HWK
Try to talk about it with your partner, why did you do it? Unless you don't feel for that person anymore. Talking about problems is the best thing you can do.
OceanLove60
No. You need to forgive yourself and start talking with your partner. An affair isn't the problem. It is only a symptom of a problem. Need to talk with the partner about what you need and your relationship .
Anonymous
Not your decision, but I'd say leave it up to your partner whether or not to forgive you and give you another chance or give it up to them to see if they shall end it if they feel uncomfortable being with you from now on.
mirrorwriting
Before you decide about a break up, you should first try to listen to your heart and ask yourself what is the reason for you cheating - could it be that you are unhappy with your relationship? Why? How can it be repaired? The second step - talk about it openly and honestly with your partner. It will be hard and it will most probably hurt, but a good relationship is an honest one. This way whatever decision you will make, you will know that you did your best to stay truth with both yourself and your partner.
Anonymous
Just think one more time whether you want to cheat your partner in future. If you are willing to stay loyal for your partner from now on, you do not have to let your partner anything about it.
TheDarkKnight
If you cheat after being in a relationship, that is not fair at all but if you ask to break up or not then it is depending on your partner and situation. 1. If you are feeling Good after cheating or enjoyed it then break up immediately but if you are feeling guilty and sad then 2. If you love and respect your partner a bit then you should confess it that you cheated. If your partner can forgive you then fine otherwise move on. (All the answer and thinking is according to LoveApple, it's my thinking so if it hurts anyone I'm sorry, don't listen)
Anonymous
You should talk about it with your partner - and help your partner get through it, because it is important not to leave him or her alone.
Anonymous
Loyalty and trust are 2 major parts to relationships. Cheating breaks both of those, you probably should. Usually when you love somebody you wouldn't cheat. If you feel like things can be repaired, you can try but don't string that person along if you feel that you can't commit.
AlexHelpingAllICan
If it was an act of impulse, breaking up with them might not be the answer. Yet, if you feel your relationship hasn't been fulfilling, and that led you to cheat, it is best for you to break up before it becomes a burden and hurt not only you, but your partner as well.
heartfulSpring84
I think that only one person can tell you if you should breakup and that is your partner! You should be honest with them about what you did, and let them decide.
SanMichel
Yes you should. It's not fair on him / her. You might also want to consider coming clean about it...
Henry1010
Hi welcome aboard to 7cupsoftea. I am happy to listen your all problems . Please feel comfortable here.
SophisticatedDinosaur
In my opinion that depends on the reasons you have cheated: If you were bored and just wanted some action and fun, your relationship can't be that important for you. But if you were having a fight and got drunk and wanted to get these thoughts about your fight out of your mind or something similar, you should probably still try to save your relationship. I think that you just have to ask yourself whether you really love that person, whether you could imagine a future with your partner and whether you regret cheating. No matter whether you decide to break up or not, you should be honest with your partner, even if you do not love him/her anymore. If you want to stay with your partner, he/she should be able to decide whether he/she wants it under those circumstances, too.
Anonymous
I would talk to your partner and explain what has happened, just breaking up with them is no way to go about it.
jennimarie
You don't necessarily have to break up with them, but you should tell them. Which might end up ending the relationship.
AnonymousA
You should be honest with your partner. If you cheated due to not being with your partner, you should still be honest and leave him or her.
SamanthaLou
I do not believe you should break up with your partner because you cheated. I think the right thing to do is to speak to your partner about what you have done, being completely honest about how you feel and what happened. This way you both know what you want from the relationship and whether it is still going to work.
heyitssaf
Depends on why you cheated. Did you accidentally cheat because you got really drunk on night and had no idea what was going on and now you feel terrible? Maybe not. Did you plan on cheating because you feel your relationship is inadequate? You should probably tell your partner the truth and you probably don't belong together.
poeticjewel95
If you cheated, then the best way to handle the situation is to confess to your partner what you have done and see if you can try and make it work. If you want to end it, because of what you did and because you feel bad about to the point that you feel like you don't deserve them, then maybe it would a healthy thing to separate for awhile.
Anonymous
The real question here should be, do you love your partner? You cheated cause you don't love them or just cause of something else? Cause if so, then you may consider the fact if your partner can accept it or not. If you love them, you should tell them and the decision will not be in you hands but if you don't then, yeah, you should break up cause a relationship without love is not healthy.
Anonymous
That is up to you. I think you need to ask yourself why you cheated. What were you not getting from your partner that made you turn to someone else? Do you think you can get that from your partner still, or do you think you can be content without it? Do you WANT to be in this relationship?
dancingcookie98
You should talk to your partner about the situation that happened and see what they would like to do.
HelpfulCow
I think you should tell them you cheated, and let them decide if they wanna break up with you or not
Anonymous
Yes you obviously don't have a strong enough relationship, and can get swayed by other people.
Teacup13
I think that first you should tell your partner, he/she has the right to know. Maybe he/she will act differently than you thought. Good luck!
rivs
you should let it up to them and not cheat. we make mistakes sure but if your partner is a good one than don't take them for granted let them know how valuable they are. its probably best to consider being single if they leave you
originalTurtle70
Cheating can be a bad thing but you can sometimes depending on the situation talk to your partner about what happened and together find a solution. With relationships it is always best to be honest 100% :)
notsostraightforwardzebra93
I don't think so! I think honesty is the best policy. Sit down with your partner, and talk it over. Talk about your feelings involved, talk about the situation, and talk about your relationship as a whole. Discuss any issues that need to be addressed, and work it out. Relationships can be fixed with enough love and hard work!
Anonymous
I would just be open and honest with your partner. Tell them, see where it goes. If it goes well that would be good. But if it doesn't, then that's on you. Everybody makes mistakes.