I cheated, should I break up with my partner?

Penny Dahlen, Ed.D., LPC

I am committed to helping you find your passion, heal old wounds, and flow smoother in all aspects of your life path! I use a compassionate listening approach.

TEMI4LIVE2
oh, sorry. You must be feeling pretty bad, Thou if you still love and trust Him, I think your partner is to decide that.... Tell Him every and be very sorry, Let him know how bad you felt about and promising Him it will not happen again.
Gingerbread24
First and foremost definitely yes. At least you took the initiative proving that you're guilty and willing to make up for it. Second, please before leaving her/him apologize and asked for forgiveness, confessed what you have done. And third reconcile or at least compromised. That's all.
amusingPapaya2243
Cheating is complicated, ciking clean more so, the reality is honesty regardless of outcome is the best way. Choose a neutral environment, and definately a private one, the are bound to get upset, cry, shout or all of the aforementioned. You dont want them to feel pressured to be civil. Start with apologies, start with admitting to making a mistake and come clean, don't blame them for your cheating, because reality is yes, they could be a determining factor to your infidelity, but you had the choice to leave or address the issue. Tell them where you are at? In or out? If they choose to leave let them cool down, and let them choose whether they wish to continue the talk or relationship if that is where you want to be, this could be an immediate, or timely decision. And be strong. People make mistakes
Brittneym101
That should have been something you did in place of cheating in my opinion. I would rather for someone to break up with me before they cheat. Maybe that's just me though. Since you already cheated it's best to be honest with your partner and tell them what you did and let them decide on whether or not to end the relationship. Also if you let them find out that you did this on their own it can cause major problems and make the situation worse, so just come forward. On the other hand I you know that you can't be committed and tied down to just one person it would be best for you to end things with he/she.
calmsunshine89
If you feel remorse and want to continue a healthy relationship with that person, you need to be open and honest with them. If they do not want to continue the relationship, you need to let them go.
brightVoice1111
i feel you should first of all forgive yourself.Second, you should go and confront your partner and tell him/her the truth.Doing so you will feel light - hearted.Your partner will then consider the fact of whether he/she should give this relationship a second go or not.This way neither of you feel guilty.Then you need to respect your partner's decision ,whatever it might be.This way you are conveying your concern for him and yourself too.If he /she refuses to accept you, you should apologize once and leave the situation on a happy note.
lizzle
You should first allow your partner to know the fact that you have cheated, especially if unprotected as this is a very selfish act if you have continued having sex while unprotected, it jeopardizes the other person safety, one can see that as not really love, as love is commonly defined by caring about someone else over yourself. Once your partner knows that you have cheated, this is a betrayal of trust, and that is up to your partner to decide if that trust can be regained or not, most cases that trust never gets rebuilt and it takes alot of relationship counselling or people go their own way and end up resenting the other person.
Anonymous
Communication is something that is very important in a relation so from experience I think telling your partner about it is very important. You can then talk to him about it and see where things go. Also it is important to ask yourself if you still want to be with that person or not?
PracticalMaple
you should speak with your partner about it and see what you both think would be the right thing to do for the best
Anonymous
Yes, you won't find peace if you hang on there. Accept your mistake and then seek forgiveness from yourself. You can't be happy with your partner untill you can disclose this to him/her. If you can do that, well and good.
leejanelle
The best thing you can do it situations like these is to be honest with your partner. Telling them or not is totally up to you.
greatfulDreamer43
Talk to him/her about the situation if you love him/her feel sorry and never do it again if you really care for your loved one. Don't hurt anyone it get person on their keen you need to know the pain of hurting other god bless you
happyhearts5
yes 100% you have to break up so that you don't hurt your partner more.it is better to hurt them with the truth rather than hurting them daily with all the lies you create to keep them happy.
Anonymous
You should do what you feel is most appropriate in this situation. From my previous experience, though, you should honestly tell your partner what happened. This doesn't just apply to cheating. Are you feeling like you want to pursue the other person, or your partner still? If the answer is that you want to stay with your partner, they deserve to hear the honest truth, and then, it is up to them to decide whether or not they want to maintain a relationship with you. Dating a person consists of having a lot of trust, and sometimes when these things happen it's hard to regain that. But, I wish you the best of luck in getting the best you can out of this situation without harming your partner in the process.
veronicahaunani
There are no universal shoulds when dealing with private relationships. I cheated on someone once when I was drunk. It scared me, because the person told me that he could never be with a cheater. I told him what I did in tears. He listened and told me we would work it out. I had never been forgiven like that before. And, since then I have been able to do that kind of forgiveness work with others, because I remember the blessing I felt with him.
LITEUPLIVES11
No tell him or her. Its a big realisation if he or she forgives you be loyal otherwise take a bow and exit as you cheated and other has a right to accept you or not. But if he or she loves you will accept you not because you confessed it is just because they love you
Anonymous
Be honest and hope he can forgive if he truly cares he will forgive as he loves you and understand how U feel
71057
If your partner is ready to forgive and forget and you really promise to never do that again then it ain't really necessary, just be loyal from now on.
Anonymous
If you are currently dating him/her while cheating with someone else, then yes you should and explain why because you will hurt their feelings more if they find out themselves. But if you are dating your partner and broke up with your other one, then you should simply tell them that you once cheated on them but you broke up and see if they give you a second chance, if they don't, well, you shouldn't have cheated in the first place.
Anonymous
if I was in that position I would be honest with my partner and look further into the reasons as the why I cheated.
Mike30400
No. I think the best thing you can do is tell your partner. Hopefully your partner will give you another chance. Hope it works out.
Anonymous
Not necessarily. While something like this usually throws off the dynamic of the relationship, the most important thing to do is be honest. This has fostered trust and respect in my relationships, and makes the issue considerably easier to deal with rather than keeping it a secret to be found out later. This said, If you DGAF and cheat a lot, break it off, and maybe don't try to commit so much more than you know you are capable to.
Anonymous
You need to find the reason why you actually cheated. Was it because you really loved the other person more or it was something you did because of being under pressure or a tough situation. Once you've found the answer it's much easier to decide if you want to stay with your partner or not. Regardless, try to talk to them. Honesty is the key.
ssimmons2
Communication. Talk to your partner, have a conversation about what happened. From there is where you decide anything about your relationship. Relationships are a team effort.
Spacemama
You should speak with your partner and be honest and level headed in a discussion. Listen to their feelings on the topic, and try not to place blame. Try to come to an agreement, whatever that may be- Breaking up, or not.
globaldu72
You could... or you could keep it a guilty secret... but, if you want to stay together, you need to tell your partner what happened then work together to decide if it's something you can both overcome.
MrRoboticWrites
Be honest with your partner, communication is key. If you talk it over with them you can come to a conclusion which you'll both agree on.
Anonymous
If you feel the need is there to break up then yes. But be honest with them and tell them what happened. They may forgive you and want to work on fixing things.
Oodelaley
First, you have to ask yourself if you still want to be with your partner. If you do, tell them what happened. Some people are more forgiving than others. Have a serious discussion with your partner to come to a mutual decision.
Anonymous
Everyone is different so I cannot say what you should do. What I can say is that it may not be necessary. Have you considered talking to them about what happened, apologizing, and making an effort not to repeat that mistake?