I still have dreams about my ex, sometimes they're good and sometimes they're bad. What does that mean?

Amelia Winsby, PsyD

I often work with clients who experience a wide range of emotions and difficulties. I am non-judgmental and enjoy working with individuals from all walks of life.

pringez
April 2nd, 2017 9:20am
Honestly it could mean a whole lot of things. It all depends on the dream you have. But since you're having both it could just mean memories. The good and the bad you went through together. Maybe it's because he's around you or there is someone around you that reminds you of him. So memories are flowing back to you. You block it out during the day when your conscious but when your asleep you can't block it out because it just comes out.
justkeepswimming17
I think it means that deep down inside, you still miss them or you haven't completely let go of them yet. Part of you is still holding onto the idea of them because maybe you have no one else to turn to.
Anonymous
You probably still have feeling for him, which is totally normal, but part of you knows that he he isn't a good person for you. He is your ex and you're having bad dreams about, which leads me to think that you should avoid him even if you still may have feeling for him.
LittleLemon96
Dreams are not something we can control, studies said that the brain tend to dream to make itself live in situations you are not able to live in real life like being in love with him like the old days or make you get rid of bad feelings when it is about nightmare, it is a way for your brain to express bad feelings and a way of defense ..
Anonymous
It's hard to tell, it may be a sign of you missing them. Personally when this happens I feel that it's my mind being unfiltered, since I don't let myself miss them or think about them when I'm awake, my dreams take over and show me what I hide while being in control of my mind.
YourSafeZone
this could have several meanings .. either spiritually which means he's either thinking or dreaming about you too.. or he's stuck in your head and he's influenced by your mood. if your happy or normal you might dream happy dreams about him . if your sad you could dream sad dreams about him.
Anonymous
When having dreams about your ex it's showing that they are a memory in your mind. Whether it be a good or bad one. From personal experiences I used to dream about my ex. Mostly good because I was dreaming of things I wish I had got to do with him but that bad were things like when he broke up with me. It just means that you're remembering the time you both had together and that you could possibly miss him/ her.
yourconfidant05
Memories are a part of moving on. You two have a bitter-sweet history and there's no harm in recollecting those once in a while but rather than dwelling too much over the things that are best meant for past, derive the influence to move on to better things from such dreams. Remember, there must be a reason you two called it off and its probably time to wake up from the dream.
Rosepetaltea
our dreams tend to show us what's in our subconscious mind and it plays out feelings and memories both bad and good we hold/held of the person we are dreaming of.
beautifuldevil
When it comes to exes, it is important to know that people leave impressions. Your dreams can mean many things but it is natural for those who impact your life to remain in your subconscious.
enchantingRose58
It just means they are still on your mind, it will take some time to forget them depending on how deep your feelings were for them
dropOfstar20
In cosmic world, it's said, if you dream of your past lover, they are thinking about you too, or you were meant to be together in the present time. But life is in our hands and you can truly choose your paths yourself. Think about how you want to deal with these thoughts and be determined to follow your mind.
colorfulLove78
When you have dreams about an ex, it usually means that your body and mind is missing them being apart of your life. When you have good dreams about them it means your brain is reminding itself of all the good times you've had together and are creating good scenarios with them as if you were still with them, and when you have bad dreams your mind is remembering all the bad things that happened between you and creates a scenario to play out things that could've happened, have happened or will never happen.
Tom2G
November 2nd, 2017 8:04am
Dreams can mean many things. I find that the meaning of the dream is often found in it’s nature: what was your desire in the dream (or right after you woke up)? I had a rough breakup three years ago. I dreamt about my ex for about a year afterwards, very often at first (almost nightly), and less frequently as time went on. The dreams were often quite pleasant, us chatting or my head in her lap. They were everything I missed about her and desperately wanted back. As these dreams became less frequent, I knew that I was making progress in getting over her. If you are having some bad dreams about them, this could mean you have some unresolved issues with this person, or perhaps suggest a deep fear you have in relation to them. Either way, it’s best to let these dreams go. Hanging on to them may slow down the process of getting over them and moving on. They will disappear in time.
Originalsky777
It could be that you think of your ex alot just before your falling asleep and this is why you dream about him or you could of suffered some kind of trauma from your ex and this could be why your dreams are bad
readingDream88
Sometimes it takes awhile to get over a breakup, especially if you were together for a long time. It's perfectly normal to still have residual feelings even after you feel like you're "over" them and have moved on.
Anonymous
You probably miss your ex, have you tried talking to them or anything? Stay calm and confident and everything will be okay
Anonymous
November 22nd, 2017 5:49am
I think sometimes dreams are based off the last thing we thought about combine with reflections based off our fears and wants.
SteveR92
I find you never stop caring about an ex even after a long time, weather you had good or bad times at the end of the day you must have cared about that person to be together in the first place
victoriousSong4
Dreams are very tricky because one dream can mean lots of different things depending on the person that's dreaming it. But it sounds to me that might still be holding to feelings for your ex. The good may symbolize the fact that you want him in your life because you remember the good that you two shared, but the bad dreams may be there to serve as a warning as a reminder as to why you guys broke in the first place and it may be a sign that you should continue to move forward and not attempt to reconcile..
Anonymous
December 2nd, 2017 5:05am
Dreaming about someone who has been important to us is perfectly normal. You may have unresolved feelings towards this person which only you can say, but rest assured that it is not an unusual occurrence.
JJill1
December 3rd, 2017 4:44am
It means that you obviously still have some attachment to them, which is completely understandable! It takes a while to get over someone you've been intimate (not just sexually) with. AKA Best friend/partner. Subconsciously, whether you realize it or not you may think about them and how their life is. They also could be memories just rehashing themselves in your dreams, trying to analyse them!
Loveablebabygirl23
If you constantly have dreams about your ex that could be good or bad, seems like you miss the thought of them. Maybe not the relationship itself, but it just means you aren’t over them entirely like you thought you were
Anonymous
The mind still thinks it wants your ex to be the one. dreams are just the mind's ways of replaying old memories and trying to keep yourself occupied during sleep.
Anonymous
Well when I was going through my break up and I still dreamt about my ex I felt it was perhaps that there were unresolved issues or feelings there. Sometimes it was just that I was simply thinking about my ex. What do you think the dreams mean?
Anonymous
Well dreams don't always mean something. So don't overthink them too much. Mostly dreams are just a reflection of what our subconscious mind sees and hears on the previous days. I would suggest you have a session of introspection to see if you still have feelings for your ex. Don't base your feelings on the dreams you have.
Anonymous
I think dreams about your ex mean that you still have an emotional connection to them and that you still have an relationship to them, be it purely one of worry or even still lingering romantic feelings.
SincereListenerMaya2018
January 3rd, 2018 8:25am
It means they played a prominent part of your life. I've had dreams of my exes, my primary school teachers, a random person I saw on the bus once... sometimes you've just got to chalk it up to the brain doing its thing. But think about why you're concerned about it, maybe you've been thinking about your ex a lot? What are your feelings towards your ex? I think those questions might turn out being more important.
destinyschild1980
I think it means that you are still processing things about your ex. You have some happy memories of them, but also some bad ones. It's a really normal to feel like this, and your subconscious is just processing all the memories, both good and bad.
Anonymous
Dreams are the mind's way of resting the brain. It's easier and more relaxing for the mind to think about things that are familiar or things that are imaginative. Thinking about the past in dreams is very common and does not necessarily mean that you still have feelings for your ex. If your dreams continue and they are upsetting for you, maybe you should evaluate if there is anything left unsaid between the two of you that you might like to revisit. It's okay, and completely normal if you do.