I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Courtney Cline, MS in Psychology and MS in criminal Justice

I have 15 years exeperience in working with clients suffering from depression and substance abuse. I have worked with children and adults and believe in a holistic view.

rainbug
Sometimes we can't help the way we feel, how you manage it, however, is different. You will learn to let go, but suppressing your feelings may not help, let yourself feel it, but don't act on it.
optimisticBlossom66
It's natural to still feel this way. He or she was a big part of your life and it's normal to still love them in their absence. I guess the question lies whether you still want to go back to them or whether you're prepared to accept that you love them and eventually move on.
Bearhugs1
Of course. It's very normal to still have strong or weak feelings for someone you had a relationship. You're just not yet over the fact that you guys had something. It'll go away at some point.
Anonymous
It's completely normal...:) Moving on takes time. Don't let the feelings overpower you though. also,live yourself harder :D
Anonymous
yeah it is really normal for you to feel that way, sometimes when your ex leaves you, they take a part of you with them. and you still love them and you will feel that way for a while
lyricalscarf32
it's normal for you to still love your ex. hell, I had a boyfriend from almost 3 years ago and I still slightly have feelings for him. it's all normal and a little piece of you will always love him
understandingOrange
If the break up just happened then absolutely. Its natural to still have feelings for someone you once wanted to spend every waking moment with.
Anonymous
I think there is nothing wrong in that unless you are not in a new relationship. If you are feeling for your ex then try to make it up and clear the differences to be happy.
Anonymous
There's not really a should or shouldn't. Everyone is different. But I will say that it is understandable to still have feelings for an ex, its hard to just stop the way you're feeling and immediately cut ties with someone who once meant so much to you.
Anonymous
I still cry for my ex boyfriend and i still love him.. he broked up after a 10years relationship and now he have another girlfriend!! Is it normal that i still want him and love him ?? Its been 2 years
Fabulousfriend
It depends on the circumstances whether he was a good person or not, It's your call if you do but know that you are almost certainly setting yourself for heart break.
charmingPeach1649
i was with this man 10.5 years it’s been a year already in September that we don’t sleep together. He’s seeing someone else. He cheated on me twice and I️ kept getting him back. It’s going to be a year in January that I broke up with him. I don’t know if it’s normal to feel like this still. I still miss and love him very much.Ishould be over him by now.Any advice .i joined kickboxing . Etc.
WhisperedTarot
It's completely normal to still have feelings for your ex. You were once in a relationship with them and it isn't easy to "turn off" the love you may still feel for them. When struggling, remind yourself of the reasons why you are no longer with your ex and why your life is now better without that person in your life. This will help ground you and realize that you are remembering past emotions that don't exist in the present. You've moved on, and deserve the love of a wonderful person in your present life.
GrantC2001
Yes, it is perfectly fine to still have feeling for your ex. This is completely common to people who recently have broken with someone.
Anonymous
You should Accept it and should move on. Because promoting this feeling may not be helpful for you as to live a stress free and a happy life. If you will stick around meaning, these type of feelings you will not be able to move on ever and ever. The best way is to accept what have been done and move on will full confidence and believe in yourself. Hope you will act upon this and may you live a stress free life .. another way to get rid of this is to watch the motivational speeches of the speakers and to act upon them by heart.
Axel1986
Well, talking about my recent personal experience...I searched for a therapist on this platform because I was going through a similar situation. I remember having anxiety and just the idea to think about me not sharing my life with that lovely person create a weird not good chemical reaction within me. 4 months later, I am sooo happy I had the chance to meet that girl on my path...I still think about her and I wish her all the best but I am not holding on that feeling anymore...It makes smile now and I am on the path to move forward and to build new memories :). Good luck and please, don t try to fight it back, on the contrary, accept it and be cautious about what you touch, smell, kiss and sleep with. The memories are created from these actions!
peacefulSoul1906
It is very natural to have feelings for your ex. Breakups are a sign that the relationship was not working as it was. Believing that the other person held qualities you didn't have and putting them on a pedestal is when it can become unhealthy for you. You can only see qualities in others that you already have in yourself. If you feel someone has qualities that you admire and do not have, remember you cannot see qualities in someone else unless you already have that quality in yourself. Believe in yourself and learn from the relationship about how you value yourself. If you feel less than your ex, then you might consider why you feel this way and ask yourself why you feel you are somehow less than the other person. The truth is you are already whole and complete and try learning to trust in that truth for yourself. A break up can be a way to examine yourself as to why you are still looking to be comforted by someone who no longer is there with you instead of looking within and learn to love yourself.
Demixl
No, you should not, it's your ex you should feel like this story has passed away, don't regret, don't come back this will be a step back and you wont find anything but pain , this is what happened with me when I returned to my ex, I believed him and I was wrong, he cheated on me again. I don't believe him anymore,this man died for me, and I will not believe no one anymore... So to say this was my fail,and I should be smarter next time, So my advise is no, don't feel that way, feel free