I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Courtney Cline, MS in Psychology and MS in criminal Justice

I have 15 years exeperience in working with clients suffering from depression and substance abuse. I have worked with children and adults and believe in a holistic view.

heartfulmusings89
There is no specific way you should feel. Just because someone becomes an ex, that doesn't mean the love you had for them goes away. Love doesn't work like that. However in due time, you will be able to move on and love others.
NDS369
You have to ask yourself why did the relationship end? If it was initiated by you then there will be compromises you will have to make. Can You? If it was by your ex, then is it worth getting hurt again?
Mayanasry17
He is your ex for a reason. what i mean to say is that you guys broke up for a reason, get over him and get back on your feet.
heartsNcupcakes
Its natural to feel that way. Normally in those situations I find its healthiest to stay away from your ex until youre ready to further dissect your relationship and see the faults in it. Why it didn't work out. Take some time away to clear your head and be able to see things from a different perspective.
Anonymous
It is quite natural, but after sometime it has to go away or it will get in the way of your life. You have to stop thinking about that person and move on.
Imhereforyou88
Depends on what he/she did to you if you just "broke" up that's its normal to have feelings for him/her. If he cheated, hurt you physically or emotionly than its hard to say because if and when you love someone and they hurt you many times or break up with u many times of course your going to want Him/her back because they were your bf/gf. Message me for more support of needed
OmegaZen
It's something that will either go away with time or will stay with you always. The memories and feelings will remain there if the relationship was great, especially if it ended because of circumstances not related to the relationship, such as one having to move far away. The best thing to do is focus on your life now and carry on, using distractions and maintaining the relationships you have now. There's nothing wrong with still having feelings for an ex, but don't dwell on the thoughts and continue with life. Everything unfolds one way or another.
YourNotAlone27
Your ex is ex your for a reason, it doesn't just happen. You shouldn't feel that way it takes time to stop loving someone.
Anonymous
It is normal to still love an ex because when you were together, you shared many memorable times together. Usually people like to remember the good and fun times in a relationship and sometimes that love doesn't go away.
StevensLion
It's perfectly fine to still love someone after the relationship has ended. You're not going to be able to immediately stop feeling love for them if you truly did care. However, if they treated you bad, you owe it to yourself not to go back to them. It's okay to still care for them, but don't put yourself back in a bad or harmful situation.
Anonymous
Its okay to feel this way because youve spent times with him be it through sad, happy, or plain times but there is nothing much for you to do but be happy with what you have right now and learn to grow individually.
Anonymous
Yes, it takes a while to let go of someone you cared about deeply. You'll think about them and you will still care and love them for quite some time, but after a while those feelings will fade.
Stormearth
It's normal to still love someone even after a break up. It's not wrong at all. It's not every person that get's over a person just like that.
fruitySunshine64
Yes. It is normal to still be in love with your ex. Base on the time you spend together or the things that tie you and the person; maybe anniversary or weekly activities you both did in the past. You will not easily let go off these feelings unless you have found different activities to do that a new. Change your surrounding and clear the things that remind you of the person.
friendlyEars70
Feeling love for an ex is completely normal! You have memories that you will always share wit this person and caring for them, even after a break up is not only normal, but expected. If you were in a healthy relationship that came to end, it is sometimes hard to let go of those feelings of love you had for one another, but trying accept them, and allowing your memories of the relationship to help you move forward will always open your eyes to greater things that are just around the corner.
Shannon1999
It is natural to still love someone after breaking up with them. You're used to the routine of spending all your time with them and getting their attention. It will take time to get into a different routine without involving them in it! You will move on in your own time, you won't just wake up one day and magically be over them.
Anonymous
I think this feeling is normal. Love is not a switch that can be turned on and off. It takes time to build up and will take time to be let go. Time does heal, and I think with a situation like this you need to give yourself time to heal and accept how you feel.
Anonymous
It is natural to still love someone that you had a long and withstanding relationship with, so it isnt wrong to feel that way.
Moodswinger
Sometimes it is good to recall people's face. You'll get over it Dont worry.alright, dont think too much
Anonymous
If you didnt love your ex, then what your ex meant to you wasnt as strong as you once thought, Your ex was the one who was there for you and all the good things you saw in them isnt just going to disappear after you break up, itll take time and you might still always have that little part that will love him
Alexa24
Love is an extremely strong feeling. I don't believe there's a right answer to your question. Only you know your love story. Let your heart heal and try to focus on yourself.
Anonymous
Yes. It is possible to still have feelings for someone in your past. It can take time and courage to get over them feelings. It is not wrong that you still have feelings for them.
faisall
It's perfectly normal to still be in love with an ex, you've connected emotionally and physically to this person, and when a relationship ends it's a human reaction to still love him/her.
CHRISTI2016
Sometimes it takes awhile to separate yourself from an ex. Abruptly moving on from someone who has been a large part of your life is difficult. Still having love for that person is not, in any way abnormal to the process on moving on.
Ashley2k18
Yes, because you was in love, but once reality kicks in and you're ready to date again then maybe the feelings will change.
Anonymous
This is very normal. Love is love and you can't control it. Maybe if you find someone else then you will get over your ex.
Anonymous
of course it's human nature it's okay because you'll get over them soon and it'll be okay! ;)!!!!!!!
AnanyaJ
Ex's can either be the most heartbreaking people in our lives, or the most annoying people in our lives. For me, my ex was both. During my relationship with him, I never had to stress, because before he was my boyfriend, he was my best friend. There are some moments I shared with him that made me the happiest girl in the world, and I thought I loved him. Even to this day, I think about him at least twice a day. Good memories can't be gotten rid of so easily I guess. I constantly asked myself if thinking about him was still the right thing to do. He had probably moved by now, it's been a whole year. But seeing his name on everything that I ever owned was not making it any easier to forget him.
clariageorge
It is completely natural to feel such things. Sometimes when coming out of a relationship with someone you feel half; not whole. This is okay. Always remember that time heals all scars and bruising.
leanixx
I think it is normal to feel that way. Specially if you havn't really move on yet or if you invest too much feelings to him.