I still love my ex. Should I feel this way?

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Jennifer Grube, LCSW

I am a celebrant of hope & healing touching the lives of thousands of people as they entrust me with their trauma & triumphs. Won't you walk with me to succeed & achieve?

Anonymous
it is completely normal ,we dont have turn on or turn offs switches ,do we?well it is just a part of you and you will one day conquer lol
Anonymous
i still love mine too, even if now i have a boyfriend. but it's that love that will never fade ,and you'll always think of him, it's not smth bad
softMermaid10
It's normal to have lots of ups and downs, and feel many conflicting emotions, including anger, resentment, sadness, relief, fear, and confusion. It's important to identify and acknowledge these feelings. While these emotions will often be painful, trying to suppress or ignore them will only prolong the grieving process.
Minyaa
You should if there is still a lingering between you and your ex. I don't see it as something wrong if you still have feelings for the past lover. Everyone have that kind of feeling once in a while, the lingering feeling, the regret that it's over relationship. Falling out of love will take time, and that's okay. If you didn't stop loving your ex as soon as you broke up, that's okay too, but just remember not to make your ex feeling uncomfortable and you will be able to move on someday although not today and when that time comes you would be seeing you loving your ex as something silly. And that's okay, that's love. So yes, you should feel the way you want to feel if you really feel it that way
Anonymous
it depends on him if he's a good guy it's ok if he's nit a good guy and you know that he would hurt you again you shouldn't feel that way
bookaholik1324
My first love was my best friend from high school. I still love him after 35 years and have come to accept that I always will. I have had other meaningful relationships those years, but that doesn't change my heart.
Anonymous
How long is it after the break up? 2 months? Then yes maybe you still do and that's okay because it's the process of getting over him.
Anonymous
Well it is I think, you just need more time to get over her/him. Time heals everything, and give it a time. It will get better. Until that work on yourself and show him/her that he/she missed an amazing person. ๐Ÿ’œ
NeedAHelp17
Never. Psychologically Be calm in Post Breakup stage of ur life. Enable acceptance and minimize psychic wreckage, so that the pain of the ending doesnโ€™t overwhelm the positive trace of the relationship.
lovepaige
It's perfectly natural to still love your ex, considering you were once a part of each other's life's.
7CupsOfEspresso
Think on why you're no longer with them. If there was a real problem, remind yourself its not worth it.
Anonymous
Yeah its natutal to still love someone u either just broke up with or broke up with ages ago. If you syill jave feeling for them tell them soo that they know u still live them. For all you know they could still love you ๐Ÿ˜Š
Imfluffy
There's nothing wrong with feeling this way. It's hard getting over someone you're so emotionally attached to. Also, there's no point trying to get over it cause it'll only make you want it more. time heals and the best you can do is just let time do its thing yeah? hang in there :)
Anonymous
It is normal to still love you ex. I know from experience that when your are in a relationship you get really attached to someone and you love them with all your heart. So when you break up with them it's normal to still love them.
71057
It totally depends on why you guys broke up on the first place. But if really needed to be this way then maybe you should try doing anything to get over him/her.
Anonymous
Everyone goes through a grieving period. I still was head over heels in love with my ex after I broke it off... But that was only because I remembered the good parts, the parts when we actually had fun. If you look at the reason why you broke up... maybe you won't feel the same. Or maybe you will. Healing takes time. I wish you the best of luck
izza
Feelings and emotions are two concepts which are out of our control. We can't chose when to feel a certain way and when not to. Break ups don't mean the feelings you had for your ex will disappear over night unfortunately, so it's very normal to feel the way you do right now. It can be really tough feeling like that but don't worry, it's something you can work on! The best thing to do in this situation is surround yourself with happy people and keep busy to keep your mind distracted. Eventually the feelings will get easier to deal with it just takes times (and good company!) you've got this!
Mike30400
Yes of course, this is normal. Love is a strange thing, but you shouldn't feel like it is wrong, because it absolutely is not.
Anonymous
It takes time to get over an ex, specially if your feelings for them were true. It is completely normal to still have feelings for them.
TheBattleIsOver
It's not a matter of should! You're allowed to feel however you do. Just remember to take steps towards self happiness.
Anonymous
It's not uncommon to have feelings for an ex. Time is the best help and eventually you won't ever think of them.
nothingisforever91
Its okay if you still have feelings for you ex if you broke up recently. You need to acknolwedge the breakup and start moving forward. Slowly this feelings will fade with time. Just give yourself some time
Lanapleurodon
Well more to the point, can you feel any other way? We would all like to be able to change how we feel about people but most of the time that is not possible. It might be better to say to myself, I still love my ex, and I accept that we cannot be together again. Then put the energy into improving your life. Start learning something new, try to start a new chapter in your life, and you will most likely find that as your life improves the feelings for your ex fade.
MrRoboticWrites
It's natural to feel like that. Feelings will pass and fade away over time. My advice? Try to focus on something/someone else, it will be hard at first but gradually it will get easier and easier
Linksfaerie08
Love is a long journey to both experience and get over. Your feelings are perfectly valid. Every emotion you feel, you have every right to feel and nobody can tell you otherwise. Time will heal all pain.
Anonymous
Yes, of there's love it can never be faded at the corner of your heart you're somewhere bound by his/her thoughts in mind
emidawri
I'm not sure if you "should" feel this way, but I do think it's important to recognize that it's understandable why you feel this way. You and your ex probably had some really great times together, and they are familiar and comfortable. You can't let yourself reminisce too much and forget why you broke up though. You guys didn't break up for no reason.
wonderousBeauty87
Long lasting feelings for an ex loved ones are completely normal: specially,in terms of long term relationships. Nevertheless, one should be aware that a great deal of those feelings are frequently associated with the good memories and shouldn't be confused.
sereneSun58
You'll always love your ex! you had a history together.. but your ex is your ex for a reason.. But maybe if he/she feels the same.. You can work things out together
Anonymous
you have every right to feel this way. It may be difficult but you cant control your feelings.