I want to stop thinking about my ex. What should I do?

Linda Miland, MA

I have a passion to help individuals address and challenge thoughts ,feelings and lifestyle factors that are contributing to mental health issues.

Greenmatchavibes
Sadly, you can only forget to think about your ex. For now, find happiness in little things. Realize you can smile without them. You realize you are your own home. Accept that you will have that lingering, behind the scene feelings for your ex. Just don't bottle it up and let it out now and then, whether to a friend or counselor.
Anonymous
January 31st, 2016 10:13pm
Finding new hobbies or activities that you enjoy can help, as well as going out with friends and doing things that you've always wanted to do.
MindfulnessIsKey
Coming to terms with the terminated relationship will happen with time if you take some time to work on yourself. It is natural to think about past events, but perhaps take it as a learning experience. Like others said, taking up a hobby that is important to you and helps you grow as an individual is immensely satisfying and great for your growth away from the constant thoughts.
Your ex is your ex for a reason, always remember the reason and learn from it as you move forward in life.
FindYourStrength01
As yourself what about them you miss and see how you can compensate on your own. Remember you are just as whole now as you were before they entered your life.
swayyfabz
Sometimes when you keep busy and stay focused on something you enjoy doing , it can help to not think of your ex
Steelymic
Try to busy yourself with things you enjoy, or things to take your mind off your ex. Then look back at what happened to make you think of your ex and try to avoid that trigger or expect it and know how to cope with it. This will get easier with time
Kuvira14
Stop talking to him, avoid doing things that remind you of him and erase all of the memories you have of him
Caringmagic60
Once I've decided I would try my best to get rid of his thoughts. I'll move on doing different things
NadineH
Try to keep yourself buys, hangout with friends, do things you like, and start seeing new people! :)
Anonymous
One good thing to do is to get rid of all items that remind you of your ex and to avoid going to places that remind you of them. Keep yourself busy and focus on things that make you feel happier and more satisfied. The break-up happened for a reason and keep reminding yourself of it. Sometimes we have a tendency to only remember positive aspects of the person and the relationship. The right person will come along, but there's no hurry, just take this time to improve yourself and set some nice goals.
NicholasW
Your should listen to music and plus they are a ex for a reason. So just ignore everything and just be happy.
DiggieDoo
What helped me is hanging out with my friends in lieu of alone time because that is when my thoughts drift to darker places. I know this answer sucks but it is true: Time is the best healer. Healing is also a process that can't be rushed, but spending time with those who appreciate you and make you happy can definitely make the interim less sucky. :)
Fenixashes37
Fix yourself first. Take care yourself. Work on yourself to be a better and a new you. That's up to you but time heal broken heart. But time also breaks a still heart.
Anonymous
Breakups are hard, and its not easy to get over about that one person that you have fallen hard for. Its okay for you to cry and all just know your limit and not harm yourself because there is no point on harming yourself for another person. Take your time and get back on your feet. No one can make you feel good about yourself, except for YOU.
onthebrighterside
Surrounding yourself with friends is the best distraction. It's also a good idea to pick up a new hobby or take a mini vacation to clear your mind.
Anonymous
Buy a dog, or a cat. Start doing some new activity. Or simply accept the fact that He IS your EX. I guess, you still can't accept that fact ... let it set into your mind. Write on your hand "EX" so that you know he IS your EX. You've to accept that it is Past !
prettypurplepetal
Surround yourself with other things! Create some art, spend the afternoon with your best friends or family... If you continue to do things that will distract you and give you better things to do,.. You'll have forgotten about him in no time!
Zoe17
I remember the feeling well of being able to think of nothing but my ex for what seems like forever. Keeping busy, doing things you love, spending time with friends, reading books all seem to help, but they won't stop the thoughts completely. I'd recommend accepting the thoughts as they come until they occur less and less frequently and one day you realize you haven't thought about your ex in months. It takes time and patience, but it'll happen.
alsem
Focus on other aspects of life, try to move on. You were vulnerable at a point become stronger emotionally and it should work wonders
Anonymous
Get yourself a new fun hobby! It can represent a change in your life and it should get your mind off things.
CK927
Go the do something and take action for yourself and that way you can immerse all your feelings and concentrate and leave him behind. Just push forward and do your work to dostract you from thinking too much about him, don't beat yourself up about someone that's no longer a part of your present.
Anonymous
Divert your attention elsewhere. Have fun with your friends, learn new things, go on trips, enjoy your time with your family. Diverting your attention to something else will make it easier to forget him/her :)
Anonymous
February 21st, 2016 9:33pm
Try exercising or picking up a new hobby. It's an awesome stress reliever. Instead of thinking about your ex your focus will be on your strength/body or new hobby.
JustNemo
Find things to engage in, do something to think of something else. Do something you enjoy doing, go somewhere new, or try something new.
Anonymous
i can't give you any advice but I guess you may be feeling sad and regret some decisions that you have made.
EternalMaps
Its hard to just automatically stop thinking about an ex. I would try and keep your mind focused on positive other things.
fantasticWaves84
Go out with friends and have fun. I think this is the best remedy there is after a break up. I hope it helped
YunusB
March 2nd, 2016 1:41pm
Say thank you for the good parts that made you feel loved; say thank you for the bad parts that taught you some lessons; write it all down in a notebook, read it, re-live it, close it - then throw it away, burn it, feed the pages to the sea. That chapter is over. Start a fresh notebook - and continue the story of your life
connect2STR
March 3rd, 2016 11:04am
Start living your life at the full on happiness you have ever lived before. It will help you to focus on your present and future and overcome your past.