Is 4 to 6 months is long enough to get over someone you had an amazing relationship for 2 years?

Michael Hofrath, Ph.D. Candidate

The only way to the other side of pain is to walk through it rather than around it. Life is a continual journey. Sometimes we get stuck. I will help you get unstuck!

alpacafur101
Everyone is different. I was in a relationship on and off for about a year, and it took me 2 years to get over the person. There is no definite time when you will get over a person, however, you just need to stay positive and believe that it will eventually happen. Sometimes what helps me is I just think positively about the future. I know in the moment that I am sad but I acknowledge that some day I won't be upset anymore and that I will once again be strong and happy. It gives something to look forward to and to motivate you to regain independence and happiness.
katelisalyn
It all depends on you, hun. I was in a relationship with a guy for three years and it only took me a few months to somewhat get over him because I'd been abused and cheated on. If it wasn't that drastic, it may take longer. But there is no set time. It all depends on how you feel.
Anonymous
4 to 6 months is a lot of time but not enough to know oneself. Love can linger for a long while, and after a two year relationship one may need to step back and find themselves again. I would recommend a year of being single to understand and process the breakup.
Anonymous
Absolutely! Everybody takes their own time to heal after a breakup. As long as you're happy and feel good.
enchantingTree54
Yes, you take as long as you need. And whatever happened happened for a reason.
Vronica23
Every relationship is different, and everyone is different. Don't give your self a time limit. Just keep working on yourself, and on moving on. Take this time to really get to know yourself as an individual. Maybe you will move on after 6 months. Maybe after one month. Maybe you won't truly be over it for a year, but as long as you know you're trying and your taking steps to move forward, that's what matters.
Anonymous
I wouldn't set a time on how long it will take to get over someone you once had a relationship with. Time heals, but everyone is different. Whenever you feel bad about it, just remember the great times you had. Cherish your thoughts and realize that life goes on and you will make countless more relationships in the future.
calmingNight81
Personally, I took much longer to get over someone of a shorter relationship. However, while its important to try to get over someone, you'll know when you are ready to move on. The time does not matter so much as your mental state and how you feel
Anonymous
Getting over relationships are hard, especially long term relationships. The experience is typically very personal, but in my experience yes. Depending on your past relationship, it may have been over before it was over, in a way. But if you feel like you are ready to get back out there, if you have fallen for someone else, I don't see why you would not be ready. Obviously, you want to avoid a rebound relationship so put yourself first and remember that you cannot recreate your past nor should you try and, as always, have fun!