is it a bad thing to stay in love with someone who left you?

Brenda Munroe, LCSW

As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), I have worked with individuals of all ages. My work with clients is supportive, interactive and nonjudgmental.

dudekorpf
well it depends, if they let you for good reason you may respect them and always have that love thing for them but otherwise naah..
JackSkel
In my experience, staying in love with someone after they leave you only causes more pain and heartbreak. Of course, everyone needs their time to mourn, but also try to move on as soon as possible.
Anonymous
It is not necessarily healthy, if the person is not in love with you then you are only breaking your own heart.
The place u have for that person will never truly leave, but you will have to let go which will be the hard part. You have to be happy for that person and let the person grow just as much as you should let yourself grow.
Tanwyn
No, doing love is in human nature.. and this is not your weakness, its your strength that you're strong enough to love someone who left you.. but still you have to love yourself more than that person.. if he/she left you.. you have to remind yourself you have to live for yourself.. because if they had cared.. they wouldn't leave.. so keep loving but don't let that love effect your life.. you know why to waste our love over someone who don't deserve us? keep going.. love yourself too.. because you'd always have yourself with you.. ^_^
rebeccamariexox
It's not your fault you still have feelings, it just means that you cared. It'l take time, but you'll get over them :)
happyName
It's not bad to stay in love with them, but there is no use in that. When they had moved away from you and leading a new life, you too deserve to be happy and move forwrd
FairyGodfather
Is it bad to get burnt by the same flame twice? well if you got burnt the first time but could resist the urge to go back and play with it the second time. Yes it's bad. Some times we go back to things and places we shouldn't. Not because we don't know it's bad, but because there was something about that place or person our curiosity is drawn to. So is it bad to love them? no, you can always love from a distance.
0m
No. It's hypocritical to say you can stop loving someone. However it's important to remember that love is not the same as a relationship. You are no longer in a relationship with them ergo that love will be more of a memory of love, rather than an opportunity to build any new memories with the person who left you.
Anonymous
Not always necessarily. You invest a lot of time and effort into relationships and it hurts when they don't reciprocate. And as all humans do, we attach to those who made us feel our best. It's only bad when you use their moving on against you.
EmpatheticEmma
No, totally not! Love is something that effects someone so deeply, of course it's going to take some time to get over! Losing love will take some time to heal, just be open to the idea of finding love in someone else. Best wishes! :)
SMStar
Yes and no. It depends on the person and the situation. If staying in love after they left you doesn't hinder your day to day life, then it's alright. However, if it is, then its best to move on. There might be someone out there far better for you and opens your eyes.
Anonymous
I think it's normal to still love someone you were once in a close relationship with. I don't think this will ever really go away, however it's obvious that you will both have to move your separate ways. This doesn't mean that you have to end on bad terms or forget all the happy memories. I myself still feel something for someone I was once very close with, though I am now in a very happy relationship with someone I am even closer. You are only human and are allowed to feel any emotions you do! All the best, Jade :)
Anonymous
No, you can never control your love for someone. it is okay to have love for the person but just know that they are a memory and you can move forward
Anonymous
You need to say au revoir and arrivedecci to him/her. You can care for them but to stay in love with them is going to drive you crazy, For your own sanity, stay away from such individuals.
BassistBriar
As a guy who just went through a breakup, I understand the situation. It's completely normal to love someone who left you. You put all of your love and time into that one person, and when they left, they took those feelings with them. Over time, you will recollect those feelings.
Anonymous
No its not. Love is good. But its very important to love your own self. You can love many people at a time. Make sure sure it makes you happy.
CaseyWuzHere
no, love is love and love can be hard sometimes but don't let it kick you down. keep getting up and looking ahead and everything will get better
Maria776
Although a breakup can leave you still with love for the person, it’s so much healthier in the long run to accept that the relationship is over. Try to focus that love on something else to be passionate about, like a hobby or interest
Anonymous
Nope. It's not bad at all. Unless they're harmful and the feelings get way too overwhelming and toxic. Then yeah, I believe it's a bad thing.
ececho
Well love is something not everyone experiences truly . It is not at all bad to stay in love with a person who left you , It shows your dedication and loyalty towards him . Well you are not at loss for loving someone , because you lose someone who doesn't love you where as he loses someone who loves him dearly . He would soon realize your true love someday .
RogerDan555
I would say it isn't right. Though, I can feel for someone who has left because our own feelings were more stronger than what that person had. However, it's not worth thinking and bothering about a person who doesn't even cares for you. It may take time, but better is to move on in your life. Besides, care for those who care for you. :)
nitrons
It's not a bad thing. We can not choose who to love. Love is a strange thing. What you can do is accept your feelings and start loving yourself instead.
queenofspaids
It is not bad, but it is certainly not healthy. I would talk to a professional therapist about learning how to let go that way you can move on and be happy with your life.
Anonymous
It is normal. Love can´t change from a moment to another. It takes time to really understand how you feel
UntilThen
It's not bad to stay in love but if you can't let go or accept that it ended that's when you should try to change your mindset.
Anonymous
No it is a normal thing that happens when you were once in love with someone , it's not bad . Hope I helped
Anonymous
Love is a hard thing to stop doing. It's hard to convince yourself that they may not love you back because it is such a huge emotion.
Alexa101
No not at all, I know it is hard to leave somebody you love. I've felt the same thing. It's not easy.
Jagger614