Is it normal for people to cheat with co-workers or someone at work?

Richard Manson, BSW,CAP

Drug & Alcohol Counselor

Compassionate, non-judgemental and experienced substance abuse therapist driven to helping guide clients to overcome issues relating to abusing drugs and/or alcohol.

HeyDudette
I think when a person cheats, that yes, it is often with someone they see on a regular basis outside of their homes. Work is probably the most likely place to find someone to cheat with.
helpmeHelpyou61
No it isn't! You will only cheat if you aren't happy in your relationship. It can be due to many reasons but it isn't normal.
believeinyourself82
While it may not be "normal" it is something that does often happen in today's society. If you find yourself in such a situation, understand that others have gone through the same or similar situations.
Anonymous
Cheating with your co-workers is not normal. Definitely not okay, any forms of cheating is never okay.
WorkFromWithin
Regardless of whether it's normal or not, cheating in general is wrong. If two people are in a open relationship that allows that, that's an exception. I was in a relationship and I had a crush on a coworker but I never let it go farther than professional conversation.
intelligentLove16
Well, to be quite honest, yes. I'm not here to judge, so I will not say whether it's right or wrong, but it can be considered as normal since you spend a lot of time with the person you're having a relation with
Arkelight
Entirely subjective I'm afraid. It happens regularly enough but it's a circumstantial question. There's many different reasons why someone may feel the need to do this.
therapistnlistener
It is never normal to cheat! But in most situation because you work with a person 5+ days aweek you might feel drawn to that person but you should never act upon your emotions instead control the feeling and think about the great life you have at home!!
heyitssaf
In my experience the word "normal" is only used to justify actions or feelings. Who cares if it's normal? How about asking if it's right?
Uniqueg
YES!!! It's very common, but I would say be cautious and think about what would happen if the relationship didn't work out, is this person worth it? To jeopardize your job or reputation, but you guys are adults and it's up to you!
xCillion
December 22nd, 2014 12:08am
I would not call it "normal" to cheat at all,but i guess it is a common thing especcially for people that spend alot of time at work or with their co-workers..
Anonymous
Temptation is all around us. Sometimes the work place can present the best opportunities. It's not that it's normal, it's just convenient.
Cosmiclover01
It is not uncommon. People sometimes tend to become closest with the ones who surround them more times then not. Especially in a work environment, there is a lot of time spent there with colleagues.
earthbaby
I did not think any form of cheating should be seen as 'normal,' however I do feel as though workplace adultery is unfortunately very common.
Gangan
It's not "normal" from an ethics and morals POV, but animal instincts are what they are. I'm certainly not promoting such activities, considering the person being cheated on, as they might or might not be deserving such treatment. If they're bad enough for you to not feel wrong about cheating, it might be time to be honest and break up.
silverquill
I certainly hope it's not normal. The popularity of a behavior is not a good indicator of its helpfulness or healthiness. Relationships must be based on honesty and trust, and cheating betrays both.
Anonymous
I personally would generally say no. I would always expect my partner to be loyal regardless of the circumstances and would not consider it a normal thing. However, that is not to say that it doesn't happen and of course every case and relationship is different.
anotherfrenchtoastmafiaa
May 23rd, 2016 9:21am
Cheating is not normal, no matter where you are, who you work with, what you are doing, why you're doing it, how you're doing it. It doesn't matter. Cheating is unacceptable in all aspects.
Anonymous
No it isn't normal although it often happens. When people are around each other frequently they get to know one another on different levels. Which also makes it easier to look at them in a different light if problems arise at home. The person being cheated on is not to blame for this. The cheater has issues within themselves that need to be resolved prior to entering a relationship.
SpreeSpirit13
No, it's not okay to cheat with anybody anytime. It's not okay to cheat at all. So it's not normal..
Anonymous
Cheating is not normal, it is an indication that the relationship you are in is not healthy or it's no longer happy. It is also an indication that a problem in relationship is not being dealt with. If we are truly happy and satisfied with the relationship we are currently in what are the reasons to cheat? Therefore cheating is not normal especially with co-workers, it is non-ethical and a conflict of interest in work. Cheating is an indication of unsatisfied partner, unhappy relationship, a relationship that is no longer working, and a relationship that may end up in bad terms.
mindfulguider
What is cheating first? The definition of cheating according to google is: verb gerund or present participle: cheating 1. act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination. "she always cheats at cards" 2. avoid (something undesirable) by luck or skill. "she cheated death in a spectacular crash" By defining the tense of the word, you define the meaning. We live in a free will planet. Therefore we are the ones judging ourselves with our actions. If “cheating “ at the workplace for you, or the one who’s making the choice, feels whole, so it is. We must always rely on our internal GPS. Our internal GPS is our feelings. For example: Always follow your gut. Well if your gut feels sickened during an intention, it is for a reason. Best of luck.