Is it normal to breakup multiple times?

Lauren Abasheva, LMHC

A sex positive, and kink knowledgeable therapist with an open mindset and a clear understanding that we are all different.

SaraSparkle
September 2nd, 2021 2:01am
Yes, of course it is. It’s unpleasant though. But it can take multiple partners before you truly find that one special person. That one significant other that is the love of your life. They don’t just show up as the first relationship usually. It can take a long period of time before meeting the true one. So breaking up multiple times is okay. If you’re having to break up multiple times due your mental health, it might me good to take it slow and stay single for a while to work on yourself though. Because breakups can be difficult for both people.
Anonymous
Yes, I feel it's normal to breakup. Sometimes when we're trying to connect with other person, we may encounter some people who may not be on same wavelength as us. So it's absolutely normal to close that door and wait for the next hello that universe might be sending our way. Maybe that person would turn out to be someone we want in our life, maybe not. But it's important to take experiences from the past and keep growing as a person. There's no need to feel discouraged by past relationships which couldn't work out due to some reason. It's important to focus on our present and most importantly on ourselves.
Anonymous
It depends on the situations or reasons why a certain relationship goes through breakups. There are situations wherein they have to break up because of family matters, studies, or other important things. Those breakups are understandable as long as they love each other and they only go away from each other for something important. But if they break up due to violence, harm, and get back together due to blackmailing then that is not normal and it is bad. If someone experiences this kind of situation. I would suggest for them to ask for help in order for it to stop.
LeahLin
It is honestly base on yourself and your partner, as long as it is not an abusive relationship and you always feel safe. There can be different reasons on a break up and getting back together and it is deeply based on individual people. Some need time to just breath and explore, and who are we to judge. But as long as you are happy with yourself and the relationship is not being toxic it’s it fine, as long as you are fine with it. You can not judge a person and their relationships on how many time s they broke up until you know all their situation.
Anonymous
Breaking up multiple times sounds like an issue with an unresolved conflict. There may also be some boundary violations. The best thing to do is ask yourself some questions: What are my values? Am I being respected? Am I clearly stating my wants and needs in the relationship? Are my wants and needs being honored? We all have the right to be treated how we want to be treated, but some people are not at a point in life to provide love that involves taking other's perspectives into account. It is possible that we may not be there either. If we realize what we want and need and realize and accept what the person we are with is willing and able to give, we can make the best decision for our own mental health.
Jellywellie
Everyone is different and goes through things differently like break ups. Personally I went through a couple to understand myself and what I was truly looking for in a relationship. It is not unusual to break up multiple times and it may seem scary or stressful or maybe even the feeling that you did something wrong. It is a normal process in life that a lot of people go through! It's good to ensure that your significant other will make sure you are the best you there ever will be. What I mean by that is partners are supposed to make you feel comfortable around you and uplift and support you. Spending time to find the right person based on your personality, traits etc is totally okay and going through break ups shows you what to look out for.
Nat3360
In my personal experience, breaking up multiple times can point to an unhealthy dependency on one another. Other times it can just mean two people care about each other and want to take time away to grow in order to come back to a healthier relationship with their past partner. It truly can be a toxic behavior when it is used as a coping mechanism with stress in someone's life, but when two people breakup multiple times in order to benefit their relationship together, it can be a good thing. Overall, the context of the breakup is what matters most, whether it was beneficial or not.
magicalMango4775
Well yes, I didn't breakup multiple times but some of my friends did that. I think it is okay to end up things with someone if it is not working. Why to live like that? You are just hurting yourself and no one is happy in that relationship. You don't need to feel bad for breaking up with someone. Remember that you are doing it for yourself so you could feel better and try to look on it like something good, you have one life and it is totally okay to find the best for you.
AmarahSofia
Misunderstandings and arguments are nature of any relationships. We cannot avoid it no matter how hard we try but we can either face it or get afraid of it. Yes, it is normal to break up multiple times. However, you two have to consider healthy ways in dealing with problems aside from breaking up. Talk, communicate and listen. It is very important to hear each one's side, find ways that both of you can compromise, never let your pride and ego be greater than your love. Couples usually want to talk but have never been taught how to listen. As much as talking, Listening is also important. Remember relationship works if both of the people involve are willing to make it work.
NinaBee
March 3rd, 2022 1:59am
Normal as in common? Probably. Normal as in healthy? Not so much. When a couple breaks up, it's usually for a good reason. Something really isn't working, no matter how hard you try. If you are putting yourself through that emotional loss and pain, chances are you don't want to repeat that, and breaking up once and for all is the healthiest way to respond to that. If it's just a matter of communication, try actually talking calmly and sleeping on it, instead of immediately going to breaking up every time and see if that helps the relationship flourish as it can!