Is it normal to miss the feeling of missing someone? And how to stop that?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

vix15
keep yourself busy. its okay to miss someone every now and then but you mustn't let it take over you.
ACESiT
It is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. To miss feeling love for someone may cause you to want to miss them. To stop the feeling, remember that the past has happened, and that the future still is to come. Decide whether or not you have a possible future with this person, or if there could be someone else that you could want to feel love for.
BestMotivationer
Yes it is very normal to miss the feeling of someone & the only to stop that is to slowly eliminate them from your life which also means removing things that reminds you of them. Emotional feelings takes awhile to go but it will.
Anonymous
August 3rd, 2016 5:00am
Yes. It is. The only way to stop it is to focus more on yourself and rediscover yourself. Stop thinking about other people and be the right person.
Anonymous
It is normal to the the feeling. What I would recommend is hanging out with friends/family. Go out of your comfort zone.
0nlyHuman
To realise that to miss someone isn't necessarily a bad thing, it means that they meant something to you and that you now have experiences you can look back to fondly. That chapter of your life just so happens to have come to a close. So build on it, grow around those memories and become the best version of yourself
adorableVision7
It is definitely normal to want to miss someone and once it's gone, it's tempting to gain it back. First, acknowledge this need you have to miss them and come up with a reason why you miss thinking about this person. You're essentially taking your own time and putting it on someone else, whether they like it or not, acknowledge it or not. Best thing to do is to treat it like a breakup; after you're done reminiscing, try to start other hobbies to occupy your mind.
tranquilShoulder91
So, very, very normal. Feeling is what makes us human. And missing a feeling is much like missing a person; it just takes time to come to terms with this. It's funny - just when you start getting 'ok' with missing that feeling, it seems to come back into your life (just like people, pets and all else). Life is so weird.
enjoyiableBlanket63
Holding on to the feeling of missing someone is keeping the memory of that person alive in your mind. In order to move on, progress is important. Try starting a project like painting or building a coffee table.
marvelousBeauty23
Yeah, it's normal to miss people you love and the best way to stop it is enjoy time with people you love as well.
MachineGKyla
Of course it is. Missing someone makes us realize that we are alive. It makes us feel something that we've never felt before. You can't stop feelings
generousEnergy13
Grief is a had subject and you can't force yourself to feel something you can't. One day you won't miss them at all the next you'll miss them more than ever
Sunshine38
The feeling would have put you in lot of confusion. On the one side you didn't want to forget but due to some reason you have overlooked. we both together will try to find solution to your issue.
considerateCandy71
Yes it is normal. Try to think of the reasons why you might not miss them anymore.. If its for the best reason, then maybe its a good thing in the long run.
Anonymous
thats normal to feel of missing someone cause everyone feel that way, if you want to stop that just do something fun with your friend or listen your favorite music
abhimohit99
The familiarity of a routine or a feeling can lead to you missing something you might not feel you should be missing in the first place. I guess the best way I can think of to stop that is to understand that you are clinging onto something that is in the past, and that it is not coming back, and the so only way to truly stop that is to give yourself a reality check and start living in the present, where this person isn't there anymore.
Anonymous
You learn to live without that person. Tell yourself that if they were meant to be in your life you would not have to miss them
intern
You can't stop the feelings it's gonna be there all the time because you once over the person
GeorgeAtlas17
it is alright to feel that way...its what makes us people. friends. families. lovers. its a feeling that we would feel over and over in life...we can't stop ourselves from feeling...but we can learn to remember the good things that happened and learn to cherish the fact that they 'happened'. between you and that someone there is a story that was written by the both of you and it was beautiful.
ZoeH
It is entirely normal. To me, I think missing the feeling of missing someone is like the last phase of losing someone. It feels final. It is you, emotionally, recognizing that you don't really care if you see someone or talk to them anymore. To me, I think it is important then, to recognize what you are feeling, take a moment to really process it, and then just don't let yourself think about it anymore. Move on to other things.
Mrathlete8heartohelp
Time, time heals a lot of things. We all want to be feeling better in a snap. That time and being patient will actually give you the time to heal. Its never easy, but its different for everyone. So just take it day by day
Destiny616
Yes, it is quite normal. When you start missing someone, you get used to it, when it occurs for a while. It becomes like a routine. You wake up, breathe, and miss them. It becomes your type of normal. You have to learn that it is better to let go, then hurt your self in the process of holding on. Think of it like if you were holding onto a rope. If you hold on for too long, you'll probably get rope burn. You have to teach yourself that it is sometimes better to be without someone.
starboyoevvie
It's completely normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. I used to be in love with this boy and, long story short, it did not end well, but I missed him for a long time and sometimes I look back on my times with him and I missed, not him, but feelings associated with him. I don't think there's any way to really stop that, but you can simply enjoy feeling nostalgic. Only time can heal it.
Anonymous
In my opinion, feelings are never abnormal. They are always normal and valid. Feelings come from our thoughts and beliefs. Changing your thoughts on a particular topic can change your feelings towards that topic. In my personal experience, I used to feel impatient with some people. As I began to understand their situation ( my thought about them changed) , I noticed myself feeling more patient and understanding towards those people.
LuckyCharm791
Yes it is pretty normal to miss the feeling of missing someone in your life. All of go through that feeling at some point in our lives. Important thing is to 'enjoy' that feeling as it is, without judging it or adding more stuff to it. Watch it, and see it fading away when you don't 'water' it. Because everything 'pass'. Just like a cloud. You are not the cloud, you are sky which is watching it 💖
Anonymous
To stop this feeling you have to come to terms that you are trying to salvage a connection with someone that is no longer there. To stop this feeling you need come to terms that there is better things out there and it is time to move on.
Anonymous
It might be normal for you, as some people might never stop missing someone. You have a unique way of dealing with the absence of someone important to you. Concentrating on hobbies, activities that make you happy might help you get distracted about your longing for missing someone. Making new acquaintances might help you forget about them too.
dropOfstar20
February 23rd, 2017 6:46pm
Everything we do in life becomes a habit if continues for prolonged time. Habits are hard to eschew from, especially if the habits give us pleasure. Being with someone is like a habit. And missing them when they leave turns the tantamount happiness into loneliness and sorrow. To stop missing someone we need to inculcate in something that brings us equal amount of happiness if not more :) Start with a new hobby or try something you always wanted to do but never did. Cheer up! life is yours!
anotherfrenchtoastclub
It's very normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. Because when you miss someone, it's a different, exhilarating feeling altogether. It's good to embrace the feeling when it's there, but let it pass now. Now that is has passed, try to distract yourself with things you want to do instead of thinking about it.
cornmuffin07
It is a completely normal feeling! It's something we naturally do, then when we are finally able to stop, we miss the emotions we felt and we miss, missing them. I don't think there's really a specific way to stop it, but try focusing on yourself, take time to learn to love yourself again and accept who you are, just as you are.