Is it normal to miss the feeling of missing someone? And how to stop that?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

shehnaz
I have been missing my dad after he passed away and it is quite natural that I do experience it. It might feel too much beyond what I can handle but looking through the practical aspect of life , he had to go someday or the other and with each phase of my life be it sorrow or happiness, I prefer to take it as a lesson for tomorrow. And there is no forgetting the person completely, we can try to make the person as a positive aspect in our life rather than bringing negativity
nilm211
Yes, it is very normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. When you experience it, you should try to recollect the best memories you have with that person, but in case you don't want to remember that person, then you should do something that you enjoy or something that makes you lost in time.
naturalMoon88
I don't know if who and what you are referring to but If you're feeling that way i guess it's beyond normal, we are just human. I myself missed my family who passed everyday and it didn't stop but handled myself well to balance even it hurts. You is your only key.
cherishedApple29
Sometimes missing someone can be the only feeling we are focused with. We are so busy missing the person, that we almost forget our other emotions, so when this feeling that have taken over, suddenly disappears, we can feel alittle empty so it would be normal to miss that feeling of being full of a emotion. Pluss missing someone is considered very romantic and lovely, there was an while era dedicated to that.
MayaCarino
It is very normal to miss some one or some thing whom or that we loved and/ or been familiar with, until this feeling is persistent and begins affecting other aspects of our daily functioning (i.e., work and social.) Away from home once, I missed my grandmother and mother very badly. I did not ever stop missing them until I was back home at their side. During that period, it helped to distract myself with goals or something to focus on & I would regularly journal my feelings and perspectives, and reflect later on. Also, reading, hanging out with a good company of friends and party-ing helped :) However, if the feeling does seriously get in your way, consider reading up on credible psychological sources which may guide you to specific psychological exercises which you can do by yourself to help you feel better or seek professional help - if you can't afford the ones in private practice, consider reaching out to the public systems. Don't let this feeling eat you up :)
blitheKiwi12
Its very normal. Theres a guy in my life who doesn't talk to me anymore even though we were the most amazing friends. somehow we have become strangers with memories and nothing but. Missing someone is normal. if it's a relationship sort of hardship- trying to get close to that person again if you somehow drifted apart is a good option. however, if the person was harmful or abuse, remember that they could have ruined you if you had stayed with them. Missing a loved one who has passed on is a difficult thing. not remembering them makes you feel bad and so does remembering them. at times like those, religion is always something to turn to- as it is always there, and religion can always give you hope and reason.
Anonymous
Depending on how you lost the individual and how long you had missed them, not missing them can feel like a void in your life. This is completely normal, and you may end up thinking of them from time to time and miss them again, but it is OK to move forward and allow yourself to not miss them any more.
adorableMusic92
I think that's completely normal. A feeling of grief or longing can potentially become addictive, so one should approach it as any other addiction, with caution.
Anonymous
Absolutely. It makes you human There are some feelings that you used to have and now you would love to feel them again. Its absolutely ok.
sashalembowitz
The way I dealt with it was getting to the root of why I miss missing that specific someone, why those traits are important to me, and if I need someone to replace that person. Most of the time, a replacement will only worsen things. Try to figure out why you miss the feeling. Once you figure that out, you'll realize the root of the problem is within your personality and you can then overcome it easily. It's pretty common to feel like this so don't feel like you're alone.
Blackisbright95
The feeling of missing someone comes out of our desire to be in their lives and them to be in ours. Someone's absence often leaves a hole in out hearts and we miss them but often somebody comes along to fill that void and we stop missing them. It's perfectly normal to not miss someone even though one may feel they should. But if you really wish to regain that feeling I believe one must revisit the person's memories and rekindle the passion they inspired.
PrincessCA
Yes it is normal. We cannot completely stop that feeling but we can help it by distracting our minds and putting our focus on other things...whether it be listening to music, going for a run, watching a show, studying, work etc.
commandercody209
Yes I feel the same feeling all the time. It is a normal feeling to want to feel an emotion. The law of attraction works in this situation, the more you try to push away the more it will be forced back into your head. You have to accept this feeling and understand it and this will help you I believe .
Missingperiodsandcommas
When it comes to missing someone who was once part of your life but no longer is, the only cure for the emotional grieve is in fact time. As cliche as that sounds, putting emphasis on other areas of your life to shift the focus in a more positive direction often helps aliviate the pain.
SarahSG88
Yes, it is of course normal to miss one. It shows that you're a genuine, loving person who values people in your life. Why do you need to stop that?
Littlehappiness25
It is normal. Sometimes because that feeling been part of me for long time, when I didnt feel it, I miss that feeling. We need to accept that we're depending on ourselves and need to get better. It didnt devaluate you, for not missing anyone.
destinyschild1980
Yes I think it can be normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. If you miss someone for a long time, it can become part of your life. So when you stop missing them because life moves on, you sometimes miss the feeling of missing them. It is important to remind yourself that it's ok to move on...it's ok to live your life. Give yourself permission to live your life and release any guilt you feel about that. Then you will gradually stop missing the feeling of missing someone.
chubbybunny0314
Yes, I feel it is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. If You had loved someone you should have missed them, but don't don't experience that anymore, it means you don't like anyone currently, or that no one is special to you.
SnowSolitude1
Yes, it is very very normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. We need to understand that we grow up. In fact we are growing at each and every instant. We change and the way we feel about things change. I might miss my friend a lot today but two months from now, I might be too preoccupied to miss her consciously. It is important to understand that not missing someone does not mean, we don't care about them or that we feel nothing towards them. We don't forget them. We just get busy with the world. On not so busy days, on days that were special or important, we do think about them. We cry, we laugh, thinking about the past. In these not so dramatic, and not so overt instances, we will always miss them. It will be a matter of concern if one keeps on missing someone. Because the feelings will disable them to go about their daily lives. So, I'd say, you should not fight the feelings. Acceptance, even though it is revolting and unbelievable at first, is what is needed. We need to accept that life goes on. It does not mean that we forget our loved ones.
Anonymous
humans crave emotion, its normal to thirst for it. even if its for someone else. distract yourself is at most what you can do.
Natalia90210
Yes, it's normal. Sometimes we miss someone for so long that it becomes part of our daily life, the constant thinking about that person can be something that keeps your mind busy. You can stay active, or busy if you want to stop that feeling, but knowing it's normal and not freak out about it, because I think we've all been there
Anonymous
That feeling is very normal, usually we get attached to some things or people in life so we get those feelings but if we love them then we will be happy to see that in the position they are, and attachment is different from love
Anonymous
Yes it is normal! You are familiar with that feeling and go back to it. Try to focus on some physical activity!
Livelovedream18
June 2nd, 2018 12:02am
You can always talk to me or if you are feeling like you need to talk to someone you feel more comfortable with you can always go to a friend or family member but I will always be here.
Anonymous
Yes it is normal. Just try to remember the good times you two have shared and that they will always be with you.
calmingMelon91
Yes it is totally normal. You have the need to search for someone and the need to have your heart given to someone but he is not there. Try getting well with yourself and being alone.
Anonymous
It is absolutely normal. To stop that, is by doing something else in our life. Like activity that you love. Doing sports, going to volunteer some things and etc. So it will take you off from being nostalgic about someone.
dreamdavid
yes and no, yes if you are depressed or distracted and doing your own thing and no if you want to remember them
karaniyametta58
It's totally normal! From my experience, the best way to stop that is to go deeply into that feeling, care for it. Then.. care for yourself ;)
healurmindheart
Yeah that is normal, thats how brain works. People say diverting mind helps a bit but thinking at that moment to completion is better than carrying forward that thought to just pile up and make heaps of mountains of missing thought