Is it normal to miss the feeling of missing someone? And how to stop that?

Polly Letsch, LCSW

I provide non-judgmental, person-centered, objective therapeutic treatment for individuals of all ages to improve social, emotional, mental and other areas of functioning.

Allears247
Yes, missing someone makes you feel closer to someone even when they are not there. So, it is normal. To make it stop you will need to just give it some time.
hannahlb
Of course! Missing people is a natural human response wether they’re gone for a day or forever. Don’t feel bad if you miss someone. Although getting over it is different for everyone, I like to write down my feelings (sort of like a jounal), listen to music, and go on walks. Best of luck!
musicalBubbles69
Yes. It is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. This feeling can be stopped by taking your mind off that person
Anonymous
yes it it totally normal to miss someone especially if he/she is a your close or best pal. You can talk to them when required.
Eleuthromaniac
It is completely Normal and acceptable to have feelings for someone and to also miss them dearly! We are human beings who derive off of intercultural communicational techniques of empathy and interaction and when someone important in our lives is no longer apparent well then it’s painful to go through but ITS OKAY TO FEEL THOSE FEELINGS! The BEST possible way to stop feeling those feelings is by not avoiding them because burying them will regurgitate them out later when you would least appreciate it, but by facing yourself and being completely honest and open with YOURSELF and have that inner dialogue that really speaks about how you’re thinking and feeling about this person and work through your feelings. When you do this you start allowing yourself to heal because you are facing the issue and then you address why they aren’t in your life anymore and why they don’t need to be and if they were good in your life then address that too and include the positive impact that they had on you and why they are no longer needed to be in your life anymore. Understand not everyone is meant to stay but it’s okay to be upset about it 💜
Anonymous
It's normal that you dedicated a part of your life to this person and now they are strangers. So it is normal to feel the lack of this person, the first step to get out of this situation and accept and follow with your life ahead, I know that difficult but over time is improving. Go out with your friends, meet new people, keep your time filled and your mind. Think of all the things you want to do and do (of course they have to be within the law). And after a while you'll start to feel better. It's a difficult road but step by step you'll get it.
CarlosSherrill
Yes I am currently going through the same situation at the moment. It does take time to get over someone when you truly love them and would of done anything for them. I am currently still in love and I’ve gotten over it before with my ex. I have been through it, gone through it, and I am just wanting to help others since I sadly have experience in this, I just wanna hell others because everyone deserves a friend who won’t judge and is a great listener . While you don’t know me I just wanna tell you, you can trust me.
Bohochick92
Yes, it's a completely normal process. We grow as a person everyday & when the new experiences finds place in our life, we subconsciously let go of the older ones. What I mean is it's completely normal not to miss someone. Life goes on, and letting go or finding new things in life which eventually replace the old is just a part of the healing process. However if you still want to stop it, then I would recommend you to often walk down your memory lane, visit that person and his or her memories. And try to keep those memories which resonates with you, or which you you feel holds a meaning and you want it to be a part of who you are today. I hope it helps. Best wishes and love😊😊
benevolentPoetry31
It's okay to miss the feeling of missing someone. When we are separated from someone we miss them and it take certain time to move on from that feeling but on the way, we get used to missing them and when we don't miss them anymore we kind of miss the feeling because we have had the habit of missing them. But it's okay now, we can always have new and better habits. Keep working on your self and focus on your goal, do better every day. Find new habits or form one, enjoy your life. We only get one life afterall and why waste it? Why not enjoy every bit of it? I know, it can be difficult at times but you can do it. Breath, eat and sleep-step one, find a goal- step two, work for that goal-step three. Grow step by step, you don't have to hurry. Have a nice day:)
Addyvision
Listening songs, and workouts keep buzy and hangouts with friends and family to feel good that you may not miss someone at that time Keep your mind divert from it And give attention to your goal and targets which you want to achieve in your life Its will decrease the thinking of that person which you missing more Its always work for everyone make sure to complete your goals and tasks which you want to complete Keep away from the things which make you think about that persons Spend time with your loving parents and friends Be happy and confident Life free
HeyDude126293729
Yes. It is perfectly normal. A lot of people have it. Personally I dont think there is anything you can do about it. Just give it some time. It should go away as time goes. And if it doesnt then try to do things to get your mind off them. It isnt healthy to miss someone. So find a way to get them off your mind. Hang with friends. Play videogames. Watch TV. Or movies. Just do something to get them off your mind. If you dont, it could drag you to a depression. So get them off your mind asap.
daisychristabel
Tu me manques- in French, it means something like 'i miss you' but translates something like missing a part of oneself. I think that linguistic relativity is very interesting. It is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone, or something, absolutely, and it's not just an emotional loss. It's also a perceptual loss. So when you think you see the ghost of a lost loved one or recognise a pattern in your life that is reminiscent of the person you have lost, know that it is because your brain is on your side, trying to fill in all the gaps.
LittleMissJoy
It is very normal to miss someone that once played a very important part in your life. To miss someone, it just validates that this person was once someone who meant a lot to you. It can be difficult to stop the feeling of missing someone. The best approach to make that feeling hurt less is by keeping yourself busy and, distracted. Do the things you love or, make you happy. Be around the people that keep you from being reminded of missing this person. It is not an easy process to do but, in time you will not feel the pain, hurt or sadness that you may be feeling now.
crispParadise16
It is a very normal thing in fact. I still miss the feeling of how I felt when I missed the girl 5 years ago. The good thing is that it can be changed into a good experience too. I accepted the fact that things are not the same anymore and I reached out to that girl and apologized her for everything wrong I was. I helped her to get over everything and start a new life. When you help someone whom you miss, the feeling that they are doing great now because you reached out and fixed what was broken, even though if you are not in there lives anymore, it is a great feeling and makes me happy when I think of it now.
Anonymous
Ofcourse it’s normal. Whatever you are feeling is normal and is completely okay as it’s very likely many people are in the same boat and feeling the exact same way. The feeling is just your body reminding you of a feeling that you were used to in the past and now is seen as comfortable and familiar feeling as you lived with the feeling for so long. If you feel as if it’s not normal you are just trying to alienate yourself from every one else and that is no use as it just not the case your feelings are normal and they are valid
katherine081902
This is a unique question, I don't think I have heard many cases of missing the feeling of missing someone but it makes sense. It is completely normal to feel that, there is nothing wrong with you for missing the feeling of missing someone. While I don't know many people who have felt this personally, there are people out there who have. How to stop missing that feeling is something I don't have a great answer or explanation to since I don't know your situation but here's my best advice. I would say that to stop missing that feeling, you must first figure out why you miss that feeling. There are reasons why and I am sure you could figure it out, especially with the help of a therapist or listener here on 7cups. Once you figure out why, you can talk through those feelings and resolve them without having to go through missing someone or missing that feelings. I hope that makes sense and I hope it helps. :)
fddragonfly18211
What is “normal” to one may be different for someone else. What is normal anyways?? 🤔 I think what is important is to be kind to yourself, gentle, forgiving + compassionate. I also think it’s important when any emotion or feeling arises, is to ride the wave. By this I mean notice and acknowledge it rather than try to suppress it and get rid of it. Fighting emotions delays the acceptance of them-riding the wave is about allowing your emotions to be with you without acting ineffectively. Similar to a tidal wave coming and going, you will get back to a place of calm rather than emotional turmoil-accepting painful emotions allows for freedom from suffering. You can’t stop the waves but you can learn how to surf ❤️❤️
st0lensweethearts
January 23rd, 2020 2:01am
yes, it is completely normal to miss the feeling of missing somebody. missing a person can take up a lot of your time and effort, and when you eventually no longer miss them, it can be a strange feeling of nothingness. you aren’t alone, many people miss others- whether it’s from a death or a breakup, or any other reason- missing people is normal. it is also normal to move on from this. it can be difficult but everybody will get there eventually. to stop feeling like this, try to distract yourself from those thoughts. begin a new hobby, such as drawing or photography. spend time with the people you enjoy being around or start a new series on netflix to distract yourself from these thoughts.
empathicSalamander45
Yes, it's absolutely normal and natural, if not one of the most natural things in the world. This is because for us, humans, it is much more difficult to feel happy, calm, confident, loved, satisfied and content, than it is to feel sad, depressed, lonely, unsatisfied and unfulfilled. This is because all these strong emotions of sadness and suffering produce strong chemicals in our brain that our brain eventually becomes addicted to! Like drugs, substances linked to sadness and suffering are highly addictive! Yes, the human brain is addicted to suffering, loves to suffer, and will do absolutely anything to get you to feel that way again! Negative thinking, reminiscing about past times, listening to sad songs. Have you ever felt that feeling happy and calm, or meditating and listening to happy music really takes out all your energy? It's because your brain is fighting you and wants you to be blue again! Practice positive thinking, positive affirmations, do things that make you HAPPY and invest time in self-growth and improvement. Don't let a simple muscle govern your life - realize your full potential and be who you were meant to be!
BeHappy2020
Yes, it is very normal to miss someone because we all have emotions. It’s okay to miss someone, everyone in this world miss people/things. You are a normal human being and you should never put yourself down. Make sure to think good thoughts and do meditation, try to have a different perception on thing and don’t think of this as a bad thing. If you miss someone this is just showing how you felt about someone and maybe you should talk to them or try to understand why you miss them. This is a very normal thing and don’t put yourself down.
Nigel86
I would say it is very normal as we have evolved to become social creatures. We have a yearning to miss someone as in terms of evolution its those that stuck together that managed to survive. This is why ostracism was such a powerful tool back way back when, because those around you were all you had. It's important that we miss people otherwise we can become isolated and bitter. We will always need someone around us to help our souls shine that little bit brighter. I would suggest that missing the idea of missing someone is a yearning for you to connect with someone. I imagine the feeling will be assuaged once this yearning has been met.
tiggersjump
I think it is normal. Especially after two of my long relationships during an empty time, I found myself longing for a little love story and having the excitement of having someone to miss. I believe one way of stopping it could be to spend time with friends or channel that energy to other things you could, whether a hobby or something else. For me it happens, when I have dated back to back and I have left no room in between for myself to heal. In my experience, devoting some time to myself helped me get that feeling off my chest and wait for something to happen organically.
victoryhavealittlefaith5555
I do miss people and although I do have their image in my mind, their energy in my heart I do still miss the possibility to talk to them, to see them, share some meaningful time together. I do not like technology and zoom meetings are not the same as when we see someone in person. Do we want to stop missing someone who is important to us, or was important to us? As long as we can function and do our duties and work throughout the day it is ok also to miss meaningful people in our lives that we want to be with and share the time and space with. I think that it is a great honor to have people that were or are in our lives and that we do miss them when they are not with us.
Anonymous
It is normal to feel the loss of an emotion that was once prominent in your life. However, losing that emotion is an indication that you are truly moving on from the pain or loss of losing someone close to you. It is signs that you are growing stronger and more independent. When we lose negative emotions we open up room in out life to feel the positive emotions. Let it drive you to achieve the goals that you have been putting of in your sadness. Let the freedom inspire you to fulfill your full potential and become the best version of you.
Na12345
Yes its normal to have the feeling of missing someone. To move out of it we have to do self talk- Can I live with the beautiful memories and move in life. Do something which you are passionate, engage yourself in learning something new which keeps you driving. Try to make new friends. If you are still stuck then consult a professional like a Counselor/ coach. Well in this process do keep checking with your thoughts and emotions. At times we can write about the person we are missing.All the above will help us to move on in life and at the same time not get drowned in it.
Anonymous
of course, it is perfectly normal to feel this way especially after you had lost someone who you had a very deep and emotional bond with. Even though this may be hard, these emotions are most certainly manageable. There are many ways to stop these feelings. The most important thing to remember is that this feeling will not last forever. This feeling is only temporary and it is essential to get this off your chest with someone you trust and/or look up to. Also when feeling down, it is good to do something else constructive to help get your mind off things
Anonymous
I believe it is normal and is also the step to moving forward. It is not always easy though. Long ago I had a massive dispute with my best friend so we separated and went our own ways. At the time it was very difficult because the part of me wanted to keep feeling that same loss all over again. It got better after some time. IT took me a while to understand the situation in order to start healing and moving forward. It was quite an experience and I am grateful I got to experience it. The experiences that we go through in life are what shape us.
ces101
Yes, it is normal to miss someone especially when it is you love ones because it shows that you loved them and they are once one part of your life. It doesn't matter how long you miss but it matters the value why you miss them. As the saying goes 'time heals'. let's live our life and do what makes us happy like doing things to make feel at ease on missing someone we love because that's part of our life, and looking forward to meet the missing person again and again and again. so let's be happy for them wherever they are right now.
redemptionblue17
I can't really say you should stop missing. It's accountable to pine over someone you lost for... You accepted what happened yet your soul is still smitten with the precious moments with them, do you feel the same? i know people might tell you to snap it out because they're tired to hear the same yarns over and over. But you can have an expressive writing for yourself. Not alone, you are speaking with your inner mind when writing it. You could talk to anything with it, even rant. And furthermore, don't worry, no one will judge you. You're safe to feel anything even missing someone all day long. You will feel that soon, you can turn from missing into encouragement for you to care for others more because you don't want them to feel the same. and be your strength to believe they (who left you) would have been proud of yourself now. I hope you can immerse on your own journey of going through feelings ^^
Rosebowkay
Yes, it is normal to miss the feeling of missing someone. It is easy to find comfort and peace in the process of grieving. It is only when you feel that the pain is unbearable that you should stop. Stopping that urge can be challenging but it might be necessary for growth. A way you can direct your mind in another direction is by getting to know yourself. Understanding what drives your passion and inspiration can help you appreciate the feelings you have devolped or haven't. Not having the same reactions as those around you doesn't make your choice unusual. There is nothing wrong with the feelings you may encounter. It is okay if after you have taken some time away you miss the feeling of missing someone.