My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

RajD87
Human beings are flawed spices. We are often driven by unnecessary emotions and impulses. We tend to screw up pretty often, so before making a decision, try and find out under what circumstances did they do what they did! Ask yourself "Would you do the same if you had been in their position?" Give them the opportunity to be heard. Then and only then should you make a decision about breaking up.
esahag2
What you should do before you break up is make sure if this is true? You need to talk to your partner and confront him about the problem. It is better to make sure than to take action.
Anonymous
I am hearing that your partner was unfaithful. As I am not you, first you should establish how you feeling about it now?
Lailah
If you can not accept it nor willing to forgive if you stay you'll be resenting them instead try to work through if you cant it's best to leave but do what you feel is best
Anonymous
If your partner cheated on you, you should do what is best for yourself. You're the expert on you. Don't let yourself get torn up over this situation!
Anonymous
January 3rd, 2016 1:59am
This is your choice. If your boyfriend cheated on you, it is up to you if you want to break up with him. But first, consider things such as, have they done this before? Are they going to continue doing this is the future? Also remember, even if they promise that they will never do it again, that isn't always the truth. Do the good things out way the bad?
daniellebee
I would say that it depends on the circumstances. If this was the first and only time it happened and they apologized, perhaps you could forgive them. If it was ongoing and you just recently found out, I think it would be best to end it. You deserve much better and while it may be hard to let go now, you'll likely be glad you did later. You can't find someone who's right for you if you're staying with someone who isn't.
simran14
if you feel your partner is worth it and it was a mistake then you can give it a thought but if they have done it intentionally then they don't deserve a chance
Anonymous
in my opinion, it will be a good idea to let he/her go. each of person can have a chance to find the one to make him/her stop looking.
Anonymous
Let's think about this for a moment. Can you think of any reason in which cheating is justifiable? Now if the answer is yes, did your boyfriend/girlfriend cheat on you for any of those justifiable reasons. If the answer to that is yes, then I don't see a reason on why you should break up (since it is "justifiable" to you. But unless such is true, what are you waiting for?
positivepenny85
It must be painful to have someone close betray you. However, no one can make this decision for you.
shreyr612
It's good to forgive. When the hurt and anger are really intense, it might not be possible, but ideally you let go of the hurt and anger as time passes. Now, whether or not you should remain romantically involved with a cheater is a whole other question. Forgiving someone who has wronged you doesn't necessarily mean keeping them around so they can wrong you again.
Anonymous
If your partner cheated on you that depends on you weather break up or not but best to hear your par
Anonymous
Discuss this with your partner, if he/she openly confesses ask the reason, express yourself out, after that there is no point of you to stay with him/her
shiningHeart83
I have just recently had that happen to me. What I did was I asked him if he had been seeing other girls, and thank God he was honest with me. He said that he had, and that he was sorry, and asked if I would give him another chance. I was vulnerable, so I did. I found out that he had cheated on me again, and so after the second time he cheated, we broke up.
allnaturalUnicorns70
That's totally up to you. Some people can accept it as a mistake and move on. Often it shows the lack of regard your BF/GF has for the relationship. Follow your gut and make sure you get respected in the end. Good luck to you!
richBeauty88
I think you need to ask yourself if you still 100% trust them, if you decide to stay with each other what they did will always be on your mind if you see them texting by themselves or if they are talking with someone else, to be honest it'll come up in every major fight you have. If you trust them fully and believe them and know you guys can get over it together and be faithful then that's good, if not you are only hurting yourself by staying
Anonymous
First things first, respect yourself always. Often it is hard to know exactly what to do immediately after you find out what has happened, and sometimes people rush into decisions. No matter your decision, though, remember that whatever happened is NOT your fault, and there IS someone out there who will not break your heart in this way. Respect yourself
InfeniousHopeful
This really depends on you as a couple. The circumstances and how strongly you do feel towards each other. However, I personally believe that if the relationship was strong and both parties truly loved each other cheating would not have even been considered.
Mhysie14
It really depends on the people involved. You both need to decide whether moving forward is an option or whether it would be too difficult. Often infidelity can lead to insecurities. If these aren't dealt with properly then it's unlikely you'll be able to move forward.
AutumnLeaves1987
That depends. How do you feel? Do you feel that you can work it out? Are you willing and ready to forgive?
Uniqueg
It's your decision. only you know how you feel and whatever you decide its your choice and no one else's.
SoFabulous
I think you should sit down and talk about it with your partner so you both can come to a decision if you want to break up or stay together.
RYBH
Yes, being with someone who is not trustful to you is a toxic relationship to you and should be one you should get out of.
mayank4u
If he cheated and he /she is not feeling bad for the same and still you are in the relationship then first you have to decide that what you wants. according to me yes you should move on but if your partner is feeling bad for whatever he/she did then you should give a chance.
Sonney
You should talk with your partner. And most important, can you get over it and forgive him? If you can't you should ask yourself if it still makes sense to be in a relationship where you can't trust your partner anymore.
Kathrine101
This is all on you and not for anyone to decide for you. But i would definitely think about if this were to happen again though. Would you want to go through that and if you still feel the same about that person.
Kharisma
Although cheating will never be a justifiable topic, breaking up should never be so easy. We as a human race make mistakes all the time, and we when we make them we should learn from them. Take time to mend and go from there
Anonymous
Yes. Once a cheater always a cheater..If you think it's unhealthy break up with that person, know your worth
Andy31
Try to talk with your partner about it. If the fight keeps going, then you need to change something about it.