My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

Lennya
That is a call only you can make for your relationship. It will depend on if you feel like it was a one time thing and if you think you two can get past it and rebuild the broken trust.
Gummysnacksandgatorade
Here's what I've noticed: people pretty much always know what they want to do. They're just waiting for someone to give them permission to do it. Give yourself permission to act in the way you think is best.
GermanZebraCupcake
This is purely up to you. However, I would not stand for it and I would choose to depart from the relationship. You deserve better! :D
Anonymous
If your partner is truly sorry for what they did and you're willing to forgive them, try working on the problem first. Everyone makes mistakes. Yes, cheating is definitely one that is extremely horrible. But there is always hope for a relationship if both parties are willing to work on it.
Peacefulmeditation
That is up to you. If you can forgive and move on then it's possible to stay together. Determine the feelings of your partner and find out if they would like to stay together as well.
Anonymous
It really depends on whether or not you believe this relationship is worth keeping. Do you think they're likely to cheat again? Honestly, it will be tough because trust has been broken and it's a slow process to build it back up. If you are willing to forgive, and he/she is not going to cheat again.. then you may not have to break up.
Anonymous
well first you all have to talk about it and if the decision is to not be together then so let it be and sometimes it is a good thing to forgive and forget
Nobody but the two of you can decide if you should break up. The best thing to do is to talk with your partner and for the two of you to talk over your feelings about what happened and why to see if you are both willing to move forward together or move on without each other. If you feel you need additional assistance, you could also look into seeking "couples therapy" for further help.
Anonymous
Yes. If he's done it once, he can do it again. You don't deserve someone who cheated on you in the first place.
fruityIris44
When one partner in a relationship cheats it is a break of trust. Both the partner's emotions run high and the one who was cheated on has all types of conflicting emotions trying to understand why her/his partner cheated. Questions like, Is it because of me, changes in me, reduced attraction, etc. My personal experience is cheating is because of an emotional disconnection between the two partners and often subconscious hidden motivations. The important step to take is to talk openly about how this happened and to try and see if there is a chance to heal through the communication. Do little things to bring back the trust and it is hard to build trust again. There are cases where one cheats because of lack of emotional connection and can heal, while there are other cases where the relationship may have drifted afar. Take your time to discover your true feelings and communicate with your partner. In the end the decision depends on your feeling on how much you want the relationship to continue and how open your partner is and demonstrates openness and remorse for his/her actions. I hope this helps.
Anonymous
If he cheated then you should definitely break up.. what they did is absolutely wrong. You wont be able to trust them again.
Anonymous
You definitely should, cause a cheater will always remain a cheater no matter what so i suggest that u do break up with him
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 4:25am
I do not feel as though there is a clear-cut answer to this. It all depends on the situation, the person, how much this affected you, and it especially depends on your values. If your partner does not see the problem with what they've done, or does not understand why you're upset/angry/annoyed, breaking up is probably worth considering- because this may happen again. However, if he/she is remorseful, this may be something you can talk about and move on from
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 10:09am
yes cause noone could ever change if he cheat one time means we will do it again and again so better to move on
Poohwee99
If you want to give a second chance to see if he/she repent, then go ahead, but if you think its unforgettable. break up
hollzster1
Before you make a quick decision, discuss it with him. Ask him questions to help you understand the situation. when you've discussed it, you can make the decision that's best for you
snugglyOcean68
That is for you and only you to decide. In my opinion you shouldn't stay with a person if you won't be able to forgive them and let them earn your trust again. You should also think about whether or not the person deserves a second chance.
Anonymous
what do you feel inside? being an unhealthy relationship will just cause more pain to you in the end.
Anonymous
You should talk to your partner first. Don't make decisions when you're angry. Try to calm down first and talk to him/her with an open mind.
Healer19
This is your choice. However, before you come to a conclusion, think carefully whether you believe this person is worth it or not. After all, no one is perfect, people make mistakes.
ActiveListener0809
Only you can decide if breaking up is the best approach if you think that the relationship is not salvageable.
zaix
yes, cheating is shit man, like that's shouldn't be tolerated, cheating is horrible and it hurts so many people
courageousBeauty49
Ask yourself, would I rather be alone or with someone that doesn't value me?If you find yourself making excuses for why your partner cheated, stop right now. People CHOOSE to cheat. Go separate ways and give yourself a year. Then evaluate the situation.
TiredWithJoy
How close are the two of you? Can you resolve conflict? What is a one time thing or a pattern? Do you know people that have worked through similar things and come out stronger eventually?
Anonymous
In my opinion an experience, "once a cheater, always a cheater" so I don't really tolerate that kind of stuff.
cathy94
it up to yours love and attitude of partner , if just mistake , you can open your heart and forget , you can continue in love , everyone in life have mistake so sometime can forget , but if you cant forget , or your partner dont change , may be yours love have some problem , and think careful if can't resolve is break up can be a solution
GettingStronger333
Breaking up with someone or staying is a very personal decision. If it were me, I would not stay with someone who cheats on me because I feel they would do it again if they did it once. I usually make myself pretty clear from the beginning of any relationship and tell the person if they want to cheat then they are not for me. If they cheat once then the relationship is over. That way if it ever happens, the person is never shocked that we are going our separate ways. Not everyone thinks this is a deal breaker and some couples work through infidelity. Its a very personal decision.
Zed22
Think about your future, ask yourself many questions. Can I ever forgive? Will he repeat it? Is he worth the pain I took? Does he regret it? And any other questions you see necessary; then you'll be able to judge by yourself.
Martiz16
YES. Although I do not agree with the term "once a cheater always a cheater", I do believe the bond of trust has been broken once cheating has been involved, and I think leaving is hard but necessary
HelloCitrus
Yes, once a cheater will always be a cheater. If he respected you he wouldn't do this to hurt you. I would move on. It will be hard on the relationship if you knew they have cheated.