My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

illusionspark
November 1st, 2015 5:21pm
If you let them cheat once, they'll do it again. I know this as personal experience. I would leave him because they know they can take advantage of you.
Sanctuaryprovider
November 1st, 2015 6:44pm
A partner cheating degrades the trust you have with them. Take the time you need to come to accept it and figure out your emotions, express how you are feeling. If you feel that you may never be able to regain that trust again, ending the relationship may be the best course. If you feel you could rebuild that trust, perhaps work on the relationship. Whatever you do, do it at your pace.
lxrre
Well first you should talk it out. Then see where the two of you all stand. How much do you really love eachother and then go from there
apocalypseArmaggedons
Honestly, yes because cheating breaks trust and you can't have a relationship without trust. It's just not healthy.
BookLovingKitten
Can you answer the following; a) Have you ever cheated on your partner, even emotionally? b) Is this the first time they have cheated on you or in another relationship? c) Was it it a once-off thing or has it been going on for a long time or where there multiple partners? d) Were they sober when they did it? e) Did they cheat on you physically or emotionally? f) Did they cheat with a previous partner? g) If yes for the above asked question, are they over that person? Based on your answers to these questions, do you feel that you and your partner can work together to mend the relationship?
Anonymous
Take a time-out. Calm down, and than talk, calmly. Hear what your partner has to say. Don't start jellying, simply let your partner do the talking.
Yes. I am a strong believer of loyalty in relationships. People will say depands on your situation. But always remember if your partner has done it that means they have it in them what makes you think they will not do it over and over again.
Anonymous
I think you should, since that bond of trust obviously isn't there anymore. You need that bond in a relationship, and you're obviously on thin ice.
amandaroxanne
I believe there is always a second option. Every situation is different. However, there are boundaries. I would love to explore this with each individual to understand the circumstances. No two people are alike & it is important to compromise. However, it is important not to compromise yourself in the meantime. (:
Mollyamber101
talk it out, let them say their side of the story first, if you cannot trust them.. then do what is best for you.
eleanor0610
It's completely up to you and how your relationship works. You should ask yourself how you feel about your partner as of right now and how ready you are to forgive them. Relationships are incredibly personal and there is no right answer to any question. It's down to you to decide what happens in your life. Perhaps you could communicate to your partner your feelings and ask them to do the same. Why did they cheat? Was it a mistake? Are they unhappy? You can love someone so much but love isn't always enough. There needs to be trust, mutual understanding, romance, a common goal. I can't tell you whether you should break up. You're the only one who gets to make that decision.
Shikoba12
im sorry to say but many unfaithful partners tend to be repeat offenders. sometimes we don't know why our partners are unfaithful but one thing that is certain is that we are all entitled to be loved and respected and if your partner is cheating on you, they don't deserve you. you can spend hours days, months analysing the situation, trying to put pieces together or you can leave them on the floor and move on. there are billions of people in this world that could make you happier. you deserve so much more :)
sweetlinda22
If the incident is affecting your relationship or has altered the course of your relationship and you find it hard to look past the issue. counselling could be an option especially if both of you would like to try and resolve the issue.
musicalDew34
Definately... neva give them last chance... if they did once they will do it again... and always remember there are many fish in the sea...so move on
CoolVerse
Yes, In my experience a cheating girlfriend will always be a cheater. Both person comes to an agreement on being in a relationship takes a lot of energy and effort. If you are not satisfied with a single person its better not to be in a relationship at all. Its better to break up a cheating girlfriend than to be caught cheating and break your heart.
mjff8
Unfortunately I can't give you advice but I can give you some help.try talking to them discussing why they did what they did.
chamomilewizard
Absolutely. If they cannot commit to you, then why stay with them? It will only cause you pain if you do.
ProudBohemian
I always think that a person make mistakes. But i will not take him/her back. I can forgive that person, just that
TeddyGraham
I honestly believe that if your boyfriend/girlfriend cheated on you, you should break up, If its the case where its against their consent when they were cheating, then don't and offer them support through the tough situation they're going through.
Anonymous
It depends on the situation. There is no clear answer for this either way. You would have to talk to your boyfriend/girlfriend, see if there is something that could be salvaged, if not sometimes some things need to end, if that is the case focus on yourself and grow from the experience.
Anonymous
November 21st, 2015 3:17pm
If he has a genuine reason to be apologetic, talk it out. Else, realize you deserve so much better. :)
Rosesareredxx
November 22nd, 2015 8:02am
Yes. Whats the point of a relationship when you lack the fundamental basis to one - trust. You will constantly be paranoid and just the thought of him/her being with someone else will drive you completely insane. There are ppl out there who will genuinely appreciate you for who you are :)
Anonymous
It all depend on how you feel about the situation.. Only you will know if you can for five or move on..it's never easy being cheated on, have some time for yourself and think about it before jumping into a decision
Anonymous
Talk with him/her first. Can you get back together. It is all your choice. Listen to your heart but also your brain.
Anonymous
Yes .... i would say break uo but if u really love him/her and he/she feel sorry give them a chance
kevinortiz10
I think you should talk with your BF/GF, then you will decide, for yourself, if you continue or break up
SwedishFlower
It is most likely that you are in a dysfunctional relationship if your partner has cheated on you. Recovery from betrayal is hard and it will take more work than ever before.
lovelyhope01
before breaking up with them. just listen to yourself, what you want to do. if you are unsure just give him/her a chance till you take a decision.
DreamerofUtopia171
I don't think so necessarily if you really love the person. I had the same thing happen. I was cheated on and they broke up with me out of guilt. If you establish your patience and really care, I think you don't necessarily have to break up. The problem should be addressed through.
adorableMusic86
it depends on the reason he/she cheated , if you do love your partner you should give him/her another chance to fix problems between you both.