My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling, Certification trauma abandonment

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

August19
There's a reason why things happen. You guys should talk first. Ask why did that happened, what's wrong in your relationship, did you missed something for him/her to look for that on another person. Never let your emotions decide on it. Yes, heart is to be followed, however, we have our minds. It is there for a reason. It will help us decide on something for us not to regret. You got into that relationship, with the risk. Now you have to take another risk for it not to be wasted. Remember, it is hard to be cheated on. But it is harder to leave the person who used to be your best friend, play mate, and a family to you.
Anonymous
It is very difficult to say this but despite the amount of feeling you have for that person, you deserve someone who will love you and only you.
blessedgirl
December 2nd, 2015 1:03pm
The answer is depends on you, can you believe in your partner after you found out that she/he cheated on you. If you can, that's mean you still have feelings for them so make your relationship more strong, but if you can't trust them break up and find the better person for you
Cosmiclover01
December 2nd, 2015 11:54pm
I think that all depends on you. If you are capable in overcoming the fact that you were cheated on then, there might still be hope. But if it's something you won't be able to move past or question faithfulness, I think it might be best to move on.
PsychoUnicorn
December 3rd, 2015 1:40pm
Yes you should break up because they chose to choose someone else over you. They could do it again if you forgive them.
calmBeauty94
It depends. How do you feel? How does he/she feel? People commit mistakes. Are you able to forgive? Can you still trust this person? :)
Anonymous
well the best thing to do when a guy or girl cheats on you with someone else is to end the relationship move on , forget them and look for someone who cares about you .
Anonymous
That is something only you can decide. You have to take into consideration may factors here. Do you think they will do it again? Or you ready to take the risk? But in the end it is important you do whatever you feel deep inside is best for you!
Anonymous
You deserve a person who is NOT going to cheat on you. Someone who is going to be loyal no matter what and there is no excuse for cheating. Sadly, most people do not change over night and I doubt this person who cheated is an exception. If you want to be with someone who doesn't treat you like you deserve and stay loyal, than you can stay with this person. However, personally I think you should break up and do better. For all you know, you are missing the opportunity to find a guy who will always stay faithful. Yes, breakups are awful and scary, but through doing this you will gain confidence in yourself and self pride for standing up and going after something you deserve.
PracticalMaple
discuss it with them, find what you both agree on and take it from there, its not up to anyone else but the both of you to decide if you should be together or not
ManCho28
If you can still trust them and they are willing to become better! Don't otherwise yea definitely!/it might hurt but it will be worth it
BreannaMarie
Definitely have an honest conversation with your partner - every situation is different. There is no one-size-fits-all answer for this kind of thing.
softMermaid10
Calm down and talk to each other before making any decision. It could be for real or it could be a misunderstanding but whatever it is, it is best to talk calmly. No matter what happens, life is always a learning curve.
helpfulIcicle27
think what do you want really.U know better wht is right for you.I will help u to go with your path.
peacefulReeds21
You should think about the root reasons about why did they cheat on you. You can directly talk to them about this and show them that you have affection for them. Hopefully you will get your answer.
Mary24
You should listen to what they have to say first. Look into your heart, don't just ask a stranger for the answer. It all depends on your relationship.
Anonymous
I think it's be best to talk to them before taking any action first. There's a possibility there's another story to it. Maybe you think he/she's cheating but actually he/she hasn't been. It's always better to clarify first. If he/she is indeed cheating, then I guess.... breaking up might be a good option. It's hard getting over it for sure cause you were probably very committed to that relationship, but relationships are two-way. If they're one-way on your part, you'll just end up hurting more. Definitely apply it to your situation before taking this advice :)
unicorn82
Talk about why it happened in the first place before you proceed. There must be a reason behind the action. If it's a habit then, donit for your own sanity
Anonymous
I talked about it to my boyfriend and we soughted it out so I didnt have to break up with him and we were both friends again
Anonymous
In my opinion you should take a break.....most times, cheating is a very complex situation for both the parties. Some space may help.
Matthew413
In a moment of weakness, I had cheated on my girlfriend. My girlfriend did not break up with me because she believed that we could work through it. We are still together and recently celebrated our 5-year anniversary. I feel that no one can tell you for sure to break up or stay together because everyone has things they will and will not tolerate. If you feel that what they did is irreconcilable then it may be time to move on. If you feel like you can stay with them, that's okay as well but they need to be patient and work every day to rebuild your trust.
NorthernWayfarer
The answer depends on whether or not you want to keep going and whether you feel you can still trust them.
Hannaria
I would break up. But if you still got trust in him and you think he would not do it again keep going. :) Just make sure your happy with your choice :)
MarkoP
Talking through it is sometimes the best options, you should consider your options. Never choose impulsively.
Anonymous
For the best, yes. If both of y'all want to maintain and continue the relationship, then no, but keep eye out on him or her
StormyAngles18
Well it all depends on how you feel. Do u feel as if it will happen again? Does it feel like its not worth it? if you feel like the relationship is really important to you and they've proved to you they wont repeat the mistake go for it if you are not sure...step back and think it through, don't rush into anything give yourself time to think about it.
outgoingPlum171
Its a personal choice. No one deserves to be treated unkindly and being cheated on is definitely a way to treat someone kindly. I, personally, would break up with them--but it's your decision. I don't know the details on what exactly happened, but cheating is a big trust-breaker.
NeverGiveUpNeverSurrender
I think that depends on a number of reasons but what I can say is to listen to your heart :) The first thing might be to do a self-evaluation and talk to your partner about what you both want to have in this relationship. There's also trying to repair your trust in them, are you willing to go through it? Are they also willing to stay loyal? I think the keys to relationships are honesty and trust :)
Anonymous
I think so. If someone cheats on you, I dont believe that it was a mistake. However, ask for their side of the story.
Tinkerman84
Basically i can't make that decision for you at all. This is a trust issue i can imagine at in any relationship trust is what will keep you together eventually. Through life you'll be facing a lot of temptations from all around. First of all you need to confront your partner, talk this through. Your partner needs to understand in what way this affect you and your relationship. In order to stay together the damage done needs to be repaired. At the end you basically have to decide weather you'll be able to trust him/her going forward without you turning out to be a partner you don't want to be, in terms of jealousy etcetera. I'd say trust your gut on this. If you decide tome on it will hurt, you will be thinking about this and probably not forget either for a while. Eventually you will stop thinking about it for 5 minutes, then 10 the next day and eventually you have a brand new beginning.