My boyfriend or girlfriend cheated on me, should we break up?

Halayma Khatun, M.A Theology(U.K, UAE), Diploma With Distinction in Counseling, Certification trauma abandonment

Compassionate, patient, experienced depression counselor. I use Psychodynamic counseling techniques. My counseling experience is +8 years, I counsel women.

MrRoboticWrites
You might want to get some space for a few weeks, let everything cool down. Once everything has cooled down approach them and come to a rational conclusion with them, it might be breaking up or it might not. Ultimately it has to be up to you.
heavenlyWinter
i dont think you should just break up. you should have a conversation to understand his or her reasons. when this happens somethimes its because something is missing...we need to solve it.
Anonymous
This is completely your decision, think things through and then act. You don't have to rush things:)
Jake0952838
It is not our choice to suggest relationship outcomes here at 7 cups of tea, but we can suggest relationship advice. My advice would be to forgive, and try to move on. Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting, it means moving on. I believe that is what true love is.
Skept
If they cheat on you, I would say you need to really think about what they did, and if you love them enough to keep continuing the relationship, but remember they cheated, so they don't love you that much to be with you, and you're not worth it. You're worth someone better.
BeWhoYouAre1234
you should break up. because when someone cheats on you, that means, that she/he doesnt respect you, doesnt love you. but, well, my girlfriend also cheated on me and i forgave her. but after 4-5 months we broke up. and still i feel sorry that i forgave her. i should break up with her in this situation and not after 4-5 months
Anonymous
Yes, because you never know if he/she will do it again, they didn't respect you, to avoid getting more hurt than now better end it when it happens
Angellienabilla
Based on my past, you can always give someone a second chance. But NOT in cheating. He/she would do it again anytime. The decision is in your hand, It's you who know the best for yourself :) May the good deeds always be with you :)
kindFlamingo34
No I would just work though this and be honest with each other and do some games to help you understand more about why thos happend
justanotherfool
It just depends on person to person. i do not think there is a ready made answer for that. Some people prefers to give the loved ones a second chance but some don't. But in my opinion giving him/her another chance if they are ready to admit the mistake, then giving a second chance would be fine. It is just my opinion, I am not a fan of breakups or divorces.
Swifting
There are all sorts of conflicting issues with cheating. But, there is no right or wrong answer if you should stay with someone who cheated on you. They say "once a cheater, always a cheater" but the reality of it is you cannot simply categorize everyone the same way. You may want to consider, "Can I trust this person again?" and "Can I forgive this person for this indiscretion?" and let those answers lead you to if you should remain in a relationship.
Anonymous
Follow your Heart ! Everyone is human. If he/she rectifies himself/herself then i think you both can go back to being together
Susannah82
You have to decide what will make you happier in the long term. Starting afresh or fixing the relationship. Why did it happen?Was it a one Off? Could you trust them again? Could you be happy with them again. Can you get over what they have done and not constantly bring it up?
AmarG
First of all, you both should talk about it. You should discuss the reason behind cheating. And if it is found that you both are not happy with each other then, yeah, you should break up with him/her. Relationship should be based on trust and love. If he/she is not happy or don't want to be in relationship then there is no other way. You can't force someone to love you.
MrWhiteSuit17
December 23rd, 2015 12:53am
Ultimately, it's for you to decide, however, trust is a very difficult thing to grow back. Nothing damages trust like cheating.
Anonymous
I would. You don't need someone like that in your life. You deserve so much better than your bf or gf
Anonymous
In my personal opinion, when a boyfriend or girlfriend cheats I wouldn't give them another chance. I do understand that everyone makes mistakes and that's a part of life. But the person that you love and that is also supposed to care for you should not to go off with someone else as you two are in a relationship.
Anonymous
You should talk first of all it is key to understand one another , even though it may be hard you should try and explain things and come to a conclusion together
SacredSimplicity1011
A break up due to promiscuity is a personal ideal. One of the biggest issues associated with cheating is a lost in trust in the relationship. You have to know whether or not you are willing to forgive and forget and work toward building your relationship stronger or if to call it quits and find someone who appreciates you and only you for all that you are.
CatieCatWhispers
That is entirely up to you. No one can tell you if you should besides yourself. It can be hard to continue to be with someone who has cheated on you. It is hard to be with someone who betrayed you the way that you did. If you can work past it and you want to work past it, than you don't need to break up. But if you do not think that you two will be able to work everything out, you may want to consider breaking up.
SmileyJess
I think it depends on if you think you can forgive and trust them again because otherwise you are going to get hurt.
Anonymous
yes, he or she doesnt worth you , you worth someone who see you indispensable and un replaceable. the world is full for others guys and girls and there must be a one who can see you like that however, you fist must see yourself so worthy and those who bothers your dont desire you. not desire even to think of them or to loss some of your tears because of them
Anonymous
Yes. Someone else will make you happy and will love you for who you are. Don't let them back into your life
Anonymous
If your partner seems sincerely sorry, I always believe in second chances. Especially if they were honest with you about cheating.
generousTouch42
Have you talked about the affair with your partner? Find out whether your partner is really sorry for his or her actions before considering a break up
King0fclubs
Yes, Once a cheater always a cheater, Sometimes you just have to give yourself th benefirt of the doubt.
radiantFlute19
It all depends. How long have you been with this person? Were they in their right mind? Had you just gotten into an argument? There are many factors that play in that situation.
greatfulPeace26
I myself have a boyfriend of two years. My boyfriend proved to me that he was sorry and has earned my trust back. Although many people believe you should break up after he/she cheats in my opinion, if you believe they will change then you can give them a chance. But if they cannot stay loyal to you after that I believe they are not good to you and will end up hurting you. If they can earn your trust again then I believe you have a chance in your relationship
Aprildays2432
Even though your significant other cheated on you this doesn't necissaily mean you have to break up. Cheating a bad thing but if both of you can communicate and if you can truely forgive them and you think that it is worth it then go ahead and stay together. But cheating does make you hurt and like many other people, you can break up with them.
ellilou13
This is a very tricky question and depends on personal circumstances. Cheating is hard but if you feel the relationship is worth fighting for are able to come through it and trust your partner then throwing something away isn't a good idea. However if you feel too hurt and don't think you are able to come back from this then maybe going your separate ways would be best. It all depends on your personal relationship.