My partner and I keep breaking up and getting back together again. I don't know what to do any more.

★ This question about Breakups was starred by a moderator on 5/12/2016.

Nora MacQuarrie, MEd

Calgary counselling psychologist assisting clients in times of stress, change, loss, worry, sadness, confusion, distress, and crisis.

Anonymous
January 2nd, 2016 10:48pm
I think that you should look at the reasons why you're always breaking up with each other. If it's because of constant fighting or cheating on each other, I suggest you break up completely. Love isn't supposed to be all sunshine and rainbows, but it's not supposed to be tornadoes either. And breaking up with someone you're in love with is hard but it may just lead to better things
foreveralistener
Well, you guys have to talk it trough, talk about the things you both do not like about each other, discuss things in a polite manner and do not get angry
chamomilewizard
I think the two of you need to sit down and discuss what you both want from this relationship. In order to have a proper relationship, having similar values is key. Talking together as a unit promotes understanding and insight.
musicalDew34
These are normal things in relationship these days which means you both love eachother but dont get along and still you wqnt to be together
comfortingLioness25
That must be quite frustrating. Have you tried sitting down with your partner to discuss the issue in an open and frank way?
Piercingtheveil
Could you may tell me more about it? Whats the reason why you both break up?
Zellav
Find the reason for the frequent breakups and attempt to resolve it. If the issue cannot be solved/and or may be re-occurring, end the relationship. A relationship should make you happy, not stressed.
Anonymous
January 21st, 2016 4:36pm
Maybe you could talk to him about why you both keep breaking up. That might help to build a stronger relationship so that you both know what each other expects from the relationship.
ReniK
Ask yourself do you actually love/like him or you are with him just because you are used to it. If you do love /like him then go and talk to him and sort things out.
Anonymous
find what is the reason. Once you find what is the cause of the break up try to see if that can be worked out. Also talking to your partner on how you feeling and see how they feeling about the relationship.
Anonymous
That's for you to decide. Consider asking yourself: why do I keep breaking up with my partner? Why doesn't it ever work out? What do I see in them? Why do I keep going back to them?
FindYourStrength01
Ask yourselves what keeps causing the relationship to falter and do you both see a reason to change these things or either compromise or is it just worth walking away?
CalmingRose24
I understand how hard that must be for you and also emotionally draining. It's difficult not knowing where you stand with someone. Is there any particular reason this is happening?
OrganticMoment72
Let it flow! also, check out Toni Braxton song "Let it flow", it will help you out. I'm currently going through the same situation and I can't do anything else anymore but let it flow and see how it goes.
Anonymous
What are the reasons for the break ups? Think of that, and also, would you prefer staying in such a toxic environment?
Horizon99
Well you should first of all relax and calm down. This would reduce your problems. Secondly you should talk to your partner
moonwalker27
What did you feel about them? Is it love or just a need? If you and your partner can't stand being together anymore, then don't. They're not the one for you.
Anonymous
Unhealthy and toxic relationship. Please talk about this with him so that your relation either becomes stronger or be done for good.
Anonymous
You should have a sit down conversation with your partner. Ask them why things keep going wrong and if you should continue the relationship if you keep fighting.
Anonymous
Take some time off and think, whether you really want it or is it something you can let go? I hope you'll get your answer. Don't forget, whatever you decide, should be for yourself.
MartyFox
Have a break and give each other time to heal. Not everything's meant to be but maybe it'll help you