Should I delete all pictures of my ex?

306 Answers.
Should I delete all pictures of my ex?
Top Rated Answer
Anonymous
It depends. Was it a healthy break-up? Do you look back on the memories you made together fondly? Do you feel like they enriched your life for a short time? Did they once make you very happy? If the answer to any of these questions is no, then delete them. Life is too short to waste pining after someone who isn't making you happy.
Newest Answer
CoolChange63
In order for a person to move on with their lives especially knowing that that person is no longer going to be apart yeah it is best to get rid of them if you don't want to constantly have someone to bring you down it's already bad enough dealing with the loss of the person by verbally telling you she does not want nothing to do with you or even he so why keep things that are going to hurt you in the long run and not let you to be at peace

Take our free test to better understand yourself and Breakups

Take this emotional wellness test! Less than 2 minutes.
MrHector
An ex is a very important part of one's life. A person learns a lot of good and at times bad things during a relationship so keeping mementos is a very complicated issue. It all comes down to feelings and current and future relationships. If you are not in a relationship and do not plan on being one in the immediate future, it all comes down to how the pictured make you feel. If you are in another relationship or plan to be in the near future, pictures of old lovers might be an issue; however, if they really mean enough to want to keep around, it is best to be upfront about it and talk to your partner about the reasons behind this. There is no short answer for this question but I hope this helps.
ChocoholicMouse
Looking for answers on the internet...we've all been there. I just want you to know you don't have to figure this out on your own. I know this might not be something you want to discuss with your friends or family, but if you join this site you can get free, anonymous support from trained listeners and a huge support community. Nobody is here to judge.
Anonymous
It would depend on if you're planning to get back with them. If you're not, then I'd say keep your favourite, and delete the rest. If you want to get back with them, then just hold onto the pics!!
YourNotAlone27
November 1st, 2015 5:16am
Yes, because your ex is your ex for a reason.
Anonymous
Yes and no. I hope that one day you can look back at those pictures and think of the good memories you had. It would be a shame to throw away things you could potentially miss. I wouldn't be opposed to tossing a few photos if it helps you heal. But someday I think you will miss having something to remind you of those good moments you shared.
BeInJoy
If they're the ex only, yes. If they are of you AND your ex, I'd say keep it - if you're smiling or happy in it. I always kept the pictures that had me in them. At some point, you'll want to look back and either remember the good times in you life, or have reminders of what you've survived through. But hide them until you need them.
cupsofjoyy
if you have them then you're gonna look at them and you're gonna remember how it was to be with that person. how do you expect yourself to get over a face that you're looking at everyday?
insightfulTruth93
It's impossible to plow through a committed relationship in an industrialized nation without piling up an abundant digital record. You'll have chat transcripts, tagged photos on Facebook, beautiful photos from a DSLR, email letters, Skype call screenshots, texts—so, so many texts. Your first instinct will be to throw it all away.That's not a reflex to be ashamed of—just like you wouldn't want to stare at a framed photo of your ex while you're hurting, you don't want to look at hundreds of messages and JPEGs detailing that person either. We're all hypersensitive when it happens, and we're living in an age of hyper-info. There are more grains of salt to catch in your heart wound than ever before. This isn't easy..But wait till they make you feel less hurt,give.yourself time to let their impact be less intense on you..don't be rash and trash it...Open yourself to the idea of seeing them one day as a cherished experience and someday you'll let them remind you of how far you've come from what you once were and smile a proud smile for living through all the hurt..
reflective
If you are ready to accept his absense, deleting the pictures may better help your process of healing.
Bigheart4all
it depends on the situation if it was a healthy break up or not or if you still communicate or not. otherwise, being able to move on with your life means leaving the past in the past. otherwise your past is hurting your chances of being much happier than if you keep the pictures.
Anonymous
just put them in a safe hidden place and keep them for when you are old and nostalgic, it may be heart-warming to look at them later again
Anonymous
Yes, if you really want to get over your ex, the first step is deleting all the pictures of them. It really helps
Anonymous
If it makes you feel better then yes, you should delete it. However, if you know that by deleting it, not only would it not make you feel better but instead, it'll make you feel bad or regret after, then don't delete it.
hopefulPerspective70
Acutally yes you should. If you're not deleting pictures of your ex it means somewhere you still miss them or love them. Nd you should just move on. Your past is not with you anymore. So leave the past behind nd start a new life. It's never too late.
maskedanonymous
YES. Yes, you should. To avoid flashbacks whenever you see your pictures. But it doesn't mean you forget him that easily. It's just you choose to avoid anything that reminds you of him in any way to ease the pain (if you're hurt.)
MeowTalk
Don't delete these. Really, don't. You'll regret it if you do. Not because maybe someday you'll get back together and be so glad you kept it all. You probably won't. But these pictures aren't just small monuments to a failed romance, they're high-resolution instants from your life, recorded forever, unfading. it's the way you were at a particular moment a shutter snapped and a digital sensor touched light. It's your dog, your apartment, your haircut, your vacation, your job, your old bike—everything that was you for that moment, regardless of who you were dating and who you loved. Instead, vault it. Copy everything that's too much to look at onto an external hard drive or some remote backup system, and then delete it from your machine. Put that hard drive in a sock drawer or under your bed. Give it to a friend. Place it where it won't distract and won't harm, but, when you're ready, can provide a vivid reminder of who you used to be. That's incredibly powerful! Don't destroy it on a whim.
safeHeaven16
If you feel like you are emotionally ready for taking that step, then do so. If you are still not over them then deleting everything might hurt you more than the fact that you are no longer together. You are the expert in you, if you're ready you will know
ComplexxHeartt
Yes deleting everything related to an ex is the first step to getting over them and it helps healing
KristenBugg
If they do not bother you then no, but if they do you probably should. Only when you are ready because if you aren't ready to move on it will hurt.
Anonymous
I would not delete them. Even though you broke up you still can remember those nice moments you had together.
heretohelpyou88746
yes you should delete them all because you need to move on there are thousands of fish in the sea waiting for you to catch them.
kjaaquinn1
I would say no WAY. All memories are a strong part of my past. I protect all of them just as I protect pictures of my children. When you part ways it does not change your past. Be friends as you move on!
Anonymous
That is a choice that can be only made by you, do you still want to hang on to the past?
tash6tash
You do what's right for you. Keep the pictures as memories, or delete them because they're causing you pain. If you can look back on them with a smile, then why delete these photos? But if you have no reason to keep them, and they're only reminding you of dark times, then why keep these photos? Take a look, think about it, and do what you think's best.
Anonymous
Yes! There is no reason for you to keep them up! Take them down, you are to good for him! Why keep them up? What is the purpose of that?
Anonymous
Yes, having those pictures can cause a lot of emotional distress. You don't want to be reminded on a daily basis of what had happened.
FruitySummer
Some times its okay to look at them and cry, it might help. Deleting them may panic you so you can just slowly minimize how much you look at them, and when you feel your ready delete them
Anonymous
Yes. Why not? It also depends on the equation which you share with your ex and on the reasons why you have split up. If it was a common decision and you share a friendly rapport then you may as well keep some pictures. However, if it was a bitter split and you want him/her out of your life then go on delete everything.
stongertoday2014
No...One day you can reflect not now but one day. You may want those pictures in the future and wish you never erased them. Tuck them away put them in a box and move forward.
comfortableBeauty98
I would suggest not doing that.. For a certain part of your life, he\she was a large part of your life.. While a break up may prompt us to do that, i usually prefer just backing up my phone and hiding the backup somewhere on the computer (or on the cloud).. and then resetting my phone for a fresh start.. Once you've moved on, you will probably look at these and cherish the memories.. Although try not to keep all of them.. just a few special ones..
beautifulBabyCow10
Pictures are forever memories. If the memories are too painful at the moment try to stay away from the pictures until you can look back at the good times you had with the ex and be happy for those moments.
Ethanjdancer
It depends. I've been through a couple breakups, ands though sometimes looking at photos of my ex can be evoke unpleasant emotions, other times, I'm reminded of the happiness and love I was experiencing at the moment, and feel that when I'm much older, I'll want to look back on those memories.
Anonymous
That is what I did and I don't regret it. It was a painful break up and I would rather not have constant reminders. Of course everyone is different and their breakups could have been calm and respectful. It's really about preference and what you can handle.
HelloCitrus
Yes, the process of moving on evolves deleting pictures of him. You don't want any reminders of him. He's your ex, so why would you want pictures of him?
CallmePat
This is up to you. If you feel that you cannot stop yourself from looking at them and missing your ex, or otherwise feeling bad, then I would delete them. If this is not the case, there is no reason to delete every trace of the person, because it will be nice to reminisce at some point.
Anonymous
Yes. I know it might be hard to, but it is for the best. If you keep them it'll hold you back, and you don't need that.
DrPancake
No. Especially since you don't know if that's how you'll feel later in life. It may seem beneficial at the moment. But one day you might want to see those pictures again. If you don't want them with you, you can back it up somewhere. Deleting pictures may be just how you feel at the moment. When you're more sane, and ready you may want to look at them again someday. If not, at least they're backed up if you do!
understandingOrange
Getting over your ex is a hard process. Deleting moments with them will help with getting them off your mind and moving on. This can be tough though so do it at your own pace.
Anonymous
Yes, please delete all the pictures. If you don't feel strong enough to delete them right away, keep them away in a folder and try your best not to see them! The memories will never let you move on. You will always be holding on to it and it's not good for you. Hope my answer helped you.
RavingSkittles
it is doing nothing but cause you pain by making you remember the memories with that person which will do nothing but damage in the end.
Anonymous
Yes, if you'd really like to move on. You don't want to keep viewing these constant reminders of what you once had. It'll hurt more. You have to let go.
Anonymous
Do what you think will help you move on and put your mind at rest. Everyone deals with breakups differently
Anonymous
it helps if you become stressed and besides that it is a good idea, because when you start fresh with someone else it wont be difficult
Anonymous
Yes, you should delete all of your pictures of your ex. They are your ex for a reason. You deserve better anyways.(:
Anonymous
if you feel that those pictures are bad memories or hurt you or remind you of them and you know you are not going to get back together then you can delete them
Anonymous
Yes, you should, in order to save yourself from getting hurt :) you are important to all of us. Move on the way he did.
Bubbles46
I say no. Because those are good memories. Why would you want to get rid of them. When your older and have kids you might want to show them.
Anonymous
That is very personal choice, but if you have beautiful memories , keep & treasure them, people change but memories don't .!
Luuandrew
I have deleted all of my photos of my ex. The point is to move on from that part of your life and evolve into the next version of yourself. To become better and stronger, and I believe that you can do that best if you are free of distractions and anything from that part of your life that might come back.
intro4life
It depends, but I would consider it as an option. When my girlfriend broke up with me my feelings were crushed. I never felt something as horrible as that. It took month for me to come over her, but deleting her pictures was a major step in the right direction. Actually it was not me who deleted the pictures, it was my best friend. She deleted them when I left my phone on the table and I am so so thankful for that now. If the pictures trigger you all the time and you can't stop looking at them you should consider deleting all of them. It can help you. It helped me. Have a great day :)
beautifulBraveheart
Yes you should. It contains all your memories which are not going to help you at all in the future. You need to forget, forgive and move on with your life. Keeping any memory of your ex is not going to help you with it.
youcalled
Pictures of him are only going to keep you hooked on to him. That's what I learnt after my breakup. It did take me a while to get myself to do it but when I did, it was certainly liberating. I suggest you do it
GigantMoonEyes
You should ask yourself, 'why would I keep pictures of my ex?' This person is not in your life anymore for a reason. It may be because the relationship was toxic, I don't know, but my point is it is going to be hard to move on if you're thinking about the past and if you're not letting go of the past.
Anonymous
If you keep the pictures of your ex it will enable there as a reminder of what you don't have anymore or lost better if you don't
Recent Answers
comfortableCand26
This is a hard question many of us ask. I understand you may still be in love with the person but ask yourself, will you ever go back to what you was before? If no, delete them. If yes, follow your heart.
LeoC1999
It is up to you If you wish to forget him and move on I say yes but if you are wanting to keep that part of your life than no
PeacefulSycamore
There is no right or wrong answer. Sometimes, deleting pictures can help us move past relationships easier. If you think deleting the pictures will benefit you in the long run, do it.
Bella20
Honestly, it is up to you. But from experience and learning from others, deleting all the pictures of your ex can help you to move on a lot better. Having pictures from your relationship can cause you to want it back and can hold you back from moving on.
Anonymous
I believe yes. You should delete all pictures and all kinds of memories of your ex, if you truly want to get over them. I don't know about others, but I strongly believe we can't be "friends' with our ex. The emotions will eventually come back. So there is no point being in contact with them.
Anonymous
Not quite, even if you two are not together anymore, that doesn't mean they weren't a part of your life. Maybe you have some happy memories in that pictures. But if looking at then brings pain, tan definitely I'd delete them.
SkiesFreedom
Maybe. Maybe not. It's not an easy thing to say because there is no clear YES or NO answer. It depends how your relationship ended. Did both of you say it's better to go seperate ways? Or did it end ina huge fight? How do you reflect on your relationship? Do you recall more happy or bad memories? If you feel like the pictures of your ex are hindering you at living a balanced life, then I wouldn't necessarily burn them, because burning has a very aggressive and destructive aura. Maybe put them in a boy and burry them. If you have them on your phone, then delete them, if you think that your life would be a bit easier without them on your phone. If you don't think that the pictures of your ex are blocking your way of living then just keep them, because sometimes we all get a bit melancholic and drift away in sadness and loo through old pictures. It's a human thing to do.
helpfulZebra33
Not necessarily, unless its causing you pain seeing them. Sometimes its good to have them, may be you guys might get back in future?
Anonymous
Yes, because you do not need your ex in your life anymore. Time for the next person to walk into your life
Anonymous
I find that it is the easiest way to get through a break-up. If you keep photos of them, you might find yourself looking through them and feeling worse about the situation.
Colimea
Depends, is seeing those pictures bringing you unpleasant feelings? If so, it's a good idea to delete them. If you can not bring yourself to delete them then back them up some where you won't see them until you are confident you have gotten over your ex.
Anonymous
I guess it would depend on how the relationship was. If it was really poisonous, then I would say yes. If you feel you have fond memories of the time you spent together then you don't really need to. They might make a nice memento. But I think that the period after a break up is kinda volatile. If you don't delete them, it's probably a good idea to move them into a place where you don't have to see it often.
ratboi
i think it would be a very effective way to get over your ex. it's less of a reminder of that person and would help you maybe not forget them, but not think about them as much.
StormyAngles18
If you feel as if you need to delete all pictures of your ex then go for it but if you don't feel like you are ready to or don't really want to or aren't sure wait awhile before doing so. Take your time.
Anonymous
No need! Its a memory for you! May be later you'll feel proud of it or you'll just laugh about it.
Max1997
Just because something isn't special anymore, doesn't mean should should automatically forget what used to be special. If you are ready to delete them; you will know!
KateLovesYou
It depends, whether you broke up in good terms or not.. but maybe you have some nice memories that you wouldn't actually want to forget..
frostyTurtle27
Yes. Otherwise, he will always be on your mind, and that isn't a good way to get over the breakup. It will bring back both good and bad memories, and you will take much longer to find another partner.
professionalMoon61
If you wish to move on, yes. Deleting pictures will only help to forget him/her. Try doing that and soon you will forget him/her.
beautifulFlamingo27
It depends weather you think the break up is a long term thing and not just a little bump in the road
Anonymous
Personally, I would. If there are photos of your ex on your phone how are you meant to get over him? Unless a photo that has your ex on it is personal to you then I would.
optimisticBlossom66
April 2nd, 2016 2:16am
When you feel like you're ready to move on and ready to cut ties with your past then delete them. Sometimes we just wake up and find ourselves forgetting and not thinking about our ex and then we remember hours later that we haven't thought about them for a while. That's usually a good sign to let you know that you're ready to move on from your ex. But don't delete them until you're completely sure that you're ready to move on.
DrumBhudda
In my opinion, no, not all of them. Farther along the way you may find yourself fonder of the memories and lessons you have learned along the way since then and a photo may be a way in which you might appreciate those things. That being said, it's best not to cling too tightly to those experiences and embrace the future so don't keep them if they don't create value in your life.
Anonymous
Yes, you should. Unless you no longer have any feeling for that person. The picture isn't what you delete, you actually delete memories and the past
Tarnes9105
I say get rid of most of them but keep the ONE thing that still makes you smile a bit when you see it. But if you don't have one of those then I say yes get rid of everything because believe me, until you find someone else who makes you happy, or you get over them, seeing any form of your old memories will hurt.
notnovember12
It's probably best if you still find yourself looking at those pictures and getting hurt It's also a good step to try and move on. Stay positive and open minded!
Anonymous
It is up to you, once it is done you cannot undo it. Only you can decide that, but don't do it until you are ready,
Anonymous
Depends on how you feel about your ex. If it helps you to get over and you want to forget your ex, do it. If you want to keep good memories and you still get along, why to delete them?
listener1216
March 23rd, 2016 6:13pm
It depends on you, and how much you feel you can cope with right now. If you think that these pictures are potential triggers for your emotions, then yes I would consider deleting them. But, if your breakup was on mutual understanding, and you think that your differences will eventually pass, then perhaps preserving these memories to cherish them later will be good. Either ways... know this will pass :)
Anonymous
If you mean what's more appropriate, in general, then I think you should simply do what you'd like them to do to your pics. But if you mean avoiding the nostalgia and regrets...etc then yeppp delete those timeboms as fast as you can pal :D