Should I delete all pictures of my ex?

Should I delete all pictures of my ex?

Brenda Munroe, LCSW

As a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW), I have worked with individuals of all ages. My work with clients is supportive, interactive and nonjudgmental.

Anonymous
If you're trying to get over them and the pictures are making it difficult, it may be a good idea. Ultimately, it's up to you!
Anonymous
If it would be more helpful for you to forget about you ex, then you should delete the photos and move on.
happinessrecovered
I think that is a great idea, dwelling on the past is no way to focus on your future. Keeping pictures of your ex will only remind you of hurt and pain, you need to move on and get out there! :)
Peacefulmeditation
That is up to you. If it causes you too much pain, but sometimes it's okay to look back at the memories you shared with that person.
Only you are the best judge of you and what is going to make you happy. You have to decide for yourself if deleting them would be the best thing to do for what you are feeling and going through. Anyone can give you advice on what should do, but only you will know in the end what you will better off with.
eleanor0610
If you think it will help you to get over them, then go for it. If not, keep them as memories of all the fun you had. It really depends on you and your situation. There's no right or wrong thing to do.
Anonymous
Since he's/she's an ex so yes all pictures or anything related to him should be kept away.Life is about moving forward and not keep looking back.If you're still keeping it he/she is not worth it,you'll just be hurting yourself in the process.He/She is an ex for a reason so better not keep it.
manishedwartcullen
Not necessary, but if u are unable to forget him if his/her pic remain in ur phone then u muat delete it
Pr0Pancakes
This is a total and personal choice left up to you. If these photos cause you to relive unfortunate experiences and that would otherwise like to forget then maybe the photos would be best left deleted. Dwelling on the past is for yesterday, The future is for today.
glowingpeace18339
It really depends. If it was a healthy breakup, and you can look back at those memories with fondness, and they once made you happy, then you can keep them if you wish. Breakups are a part of life, and though they can make you sad sometimes, it's good to remember. If your ex made you upset and you're having a lot of depression and anxiety from looking at those pictures, then maybe getting triggers out of your life is a good idea.
Anonymous
you can do that when you feel that relationship can never come back to normal and there is no point in still thinking about him or her
Anonymous
Only if they make you depressed. If you want memory's then keep some of them. Maybe not all of them but at least the ones you like best.
CaringBrit
depends on the situation you find yourself in , but in my experience i would so i can find it easier to move on
Anonymous
October 22nd, 2015 10:08am
yes i should delete everything that makes me think of my past and move on to be able to continue a new beautiful life
Anonymous
Keep the ones that bring you the biggest smiles on your face. Keep the ones that made your past a beautiful one!
daniiii
Sure you can, but look it to the other way.. how did you split up? As good friends or as enemies? If it is the last one, i think you can better delete it all and the first one think to other to the times with him not in the way from boy -and girlfriend but as good friends. Take care.
LenKagamine36
It would be best, unless you both have wished to stay friends, then don't. But if you have harsh memories of when you dated, and you have triggers, delete them.
UniqueMonique
Well it depends on what your relationship was like, if it was full of happy memories then keep a few to remind you of the good times, but dont keep too many and dont stare at them forever. Move on and make new memories but cherish the good ones you once had.
ActiveListener0809
Sometimes deleting the photos can help with the healing process to move on with your life and feel more at ease.
Anonymous
Yes. Deleting the pictures of your ex is a sign of moving on. It shows that you are (finally!) accepting the fact that some people do not stay in our lives.
zaix
you should because moving on is the key to breakups, if you stay stuck in the past you'll never get to experience the present or the future.
Dillic
I know this feeling. You can't forget even though he/she wants you to forget him/her. Looking at pictures of that person seems comforting, but in reality it makes the progress harder. If you delete the photos, you are one step closer too closure. How less you see of that person, how easier it gets to forget him/her.
delightfulNatural30
delete the pictures when you are ready to. if you dont want to yet then you dont have to, only do it when you want to and you know you wont regret it
courageousBeauty49
It depends on how you are as a person. Personally, I am feel things very deeply and would most likely give attention to those photos. Unless the photo holds deep sentimental value, I think it is beneficial to either delete or move out of sight any photos of an ex. Sometimes, holding on to those memories holds us back from making new ones.
Becclouise
Yes, I would delete all the pictures of you and your ex as it does help you get over them. The reason I think this is because if you keep going onto your pictures and see him then you'll miss him even more and want to see him possibly end up messaging him.
TiredWithJoy
If you are lucky enough to have a clean split without harsh feeling than maintaining pictures and even friendly relations / mutual friends is not bad. If the split is ugly, a clean break and removing pictures could help you maintain a positive outlook without reminders of past baggage that might be felt as a failure.
thoughtfulHeart75
If there is no chance of the relationship resolving, it is necessary to let go. It will be a hard step to take, but it's one step closer to being able to heal your heart and move on.
SupportingSoul
It's hard to give a definite answer to this as it's all subjective on personal relations and the types of pictures. As a general rule I wouldn't delete pictures of you and your ex together. If they are on something such as facebook or Instagram then simply don't look at them and if they are physically in your room etc then take them down and put them somewhere out of sight and mind for the moment. You may regret destroying/deleting things at a later point when you are in a stronger position within yourself. I did this and now I can look at them without anger or sadness and simply remember the good times that were shared. Think about it when things go wrong you don't simply destroy all evidence of it existing, This isn't so different to that concept, I hope you all take this into account :)
Anonymous
Deleting seems drastic and irreversible. Who knows, you might want to see them some day. But maybe make it harder to access them. For example, you might save them on a USB drive and put it far away somewhere.
Repairman
It is the issue that only you can solve. I can only listen to you and help you to understand what you really feel like.