Should I tell my boyfriend that I cheated?

Terri McDermott, LCSW

If you are struggling with anxiety, depression, relationship issues, I'll partner with you to improve your mood and your life in a nonjudgmental and supportive way.

Anonymous
Yes, as much as you don't want to hurt him its best to be straight forward with him. I'm sure it'll be best for you to tell him first before someone else does.
Anonymous
Sometimes a lie is better than the truth. If you love him, and realized you made a mistake, that will not happen again, you should keep it to yourself. But if you feel the urge to do it again, tell him, he deserves respect as well afterall
Anonymous
I believe you should tell him. Relationships are about trust and honesty so if telling him that you cheated may hurt but he honesty is ill surely be appreciated in the long run.
Mrtempleton
August 3rd, 2018 1:08am
Yes you should. It shows that you care enough to admit your mistakes and are willing to work it out. If you keep it a secret and he finds out he will probably never trust you again.
serenePassion40
Confessing that you have cheated on your boyfriend may be quite difficult, but it is good for the both of you, if you tell him as early as possible. Talk in a polite manner. Sit down and sort out the issue. There's nothing in this world that cannot be solved. So breathe out and tell your boyfriend. It would also be better if you guys mutually break up. It won't be good if your boyfriend finds this out by himself. So it would be more calmer and mutual if you confess it first to your boyfriend. All the best friend!!
Anonymous
Keeping it to yourself may prolong your own stress as the guilt could way heavily on your conscience. The longer you leave it the harder it will become to tell your partner and will ultimately completely ruin the trust built between you. It's better you get it done with and try and discuss both of your feelings. Even though I do believe this, don't push yourself into it- find the right situation in a comfortable area to tell him, make sure you're both ready to hear the truth and make sure if he needs it, you give him space, for the best.
Anonymous
Honesty and trust is very important in a relationship, if you respect your partner yes I think you should tell him what you've done, then it will be up to him to forgive you or not.
kdog334
Short answer yes. If you are with your boyfriend for all the right reasons then there should be no reason not to tell him. Same works for the opposite gender.
sweetCupcake26
Yes , it will hurt but you will find peace ... If love is true then you can both over come this , justify your actions and be honest .. he is worth it
Anonymous
I feel you should definitely tell your boyfriend that you cheated. Transparency is the key in any relationship.
Anonymous
Yes, don't let him find out by himself, you owe him that. Unless you want to leave him, in which case you shouldn't add to his pain for no reason.
Anonymous
Yes, you can't keep this and think about that every day, let him move forward and make his own opinion. He could took the news really good, see that you regret maybe. Or he will simply move on and start something new, but it's important to not hide this. You will hurt yourself mentally and emotionally
Jerome28
It depends. Questions to ask yourself: Are you telling him to hurt him or make him jealous? Are you telling him to provoke him so that he'll get revenge on the person you cheated with? Are you telling him for constructive reasons? Do you feel a strong moral obligation to tell him? The motive for telling him is very important.
Anonymous
March 2nd, 2018 5:24pm
I think you should tell him, for a relationship to work out well, truth and honesty are very important. No doubt, it would be very hard for him to hear this and for you to speak this at first, but hiding it won't make it better either, you would always be living with the fear and guilt of you cheating on him, it can create stress on you which can further worsen your relationship and also if at any time later he comes to know of this, it'll all become worse. It's always best to tell the truth, I've experienced it, it seems hard at first, the fear covers you, but afterwards things only better, biggest of all is that even you yourselves do get rid of the secret lie. Thanks! These were my thoughts, I hope they'll provide some help : )
lenimentus
Depends on the circumstances and who you are as a person as well as who both of you are as a couple. I don't know what happened but as you have already allowed yourself to cheat I would assume that the relationship is over or dying off slowly so I would suggest to tell him and to break it off instead of potentially hurting him (even more).
Dtro18
No one on this site will know all the ins and outs of your relationship. The fact that you came here suggests you are unsure about the morality of the situation; perhaps you are stuck between keeping him in a state of blissful ignorance and being afraid of what he will do when he finds out. Perhaps you are delaying the inevitable and you feel guilty. In cases such as these, general advice is the best anyone can do. Relationships require open communication and trust to function. If you feel that you have done something to compromise that trust, it may cause a rift that can potentially end the relationship. Ultimately it is up to you to make this decision, and delaying the decision only prolongs your moral conundrum.
Anonymous
March 22nd, 2015 12:25pm
If you love him and respect him, yes. Honesty is always best. You must be willing to accept the consequences. You may even gain respect for your honesty.
McHappy
Yes I think that people should its like one way when ur kissing me he would be kissing him. Just saying but so overall yes.
SenpaiXD
Yes. Having no honesty between your partner doesn't lead to a lasting relationship and often end up in conflicts.
Lifenote
trust is the biggest part of a relationship, and the guilt from the fact you cheated could cause alot of mental damage that will need releasing sooner because later it will not lead to good places, everyone should be honest with everyone in their lifes, if it ends terribly then theres a lesson learnt but we shouldn't deny anyone the truth.
art4life
the question here is do you care about your relationship enough...do you regret it , if you do then being honest about about it may ease you up
amiableCompanion
This will hurt him immensely, but it is good for you as well as your boyfriend in the long run of life.
Anonymous
Ya Cause A)You knew twas wrong but did it anyway B) It's selfish to hide from him & pretend it's ok.
AuroraMoonieLunette
Yes, you should. It will hurt, and you might break up; however, a relationship built on a false foundation will not last.
theezx
You probably should. Hiding it from him would be worse. If you cheated on him means you donĀ“t really care about him.
iPurple
If you really respect him, yes. He might react many ways, but if you really care for him, tell. And also, tell him why did you do it.
Anonymous
Yes you definitely should. Something like this, it won't be long until he finds out about it, and it will breaks his heart to know that you are not only cheating but also lying and trying to hide it from him. He will lost his trust and love to you
Anonymous
Honnesty is always the best policy but it's entirely up to you what you do in your relationship no one else can interfere in what goes on in the both of your lives
comfortableHeart66
Yaa that truthfulness will make your relationship stronger. Atleast he can forget this and take a fresh start with you
JohanDwanian
All situations are unique and complicated in their own ways. I would go with truth and honesty though towards others and yourself. So my answer is yes, definitely. He deserves to know and be given an active choice too.