What did I do wrong for them to not love me anymore?

Adam Brown, PhD, LICSW (WA & MA) LCSW (NY & IL)

Asking for help can be a challenge, especially when feeling shameful, guilty, or embarrassed of our thoughts and/or behaviors. I am happy to support you work through this.

JDust
Most likely, It is not something that you did wrong, but instead, something that they have changed about themselves. Love, in its purest sense, is unconditional, and even a big mistake should not shatter a truly important relationship.
YellowSunshine20
You didn't. As long as you stayed true to yourself you will always be right. In this society people are trying so hard to fit in or act a certain way. True power is being exactly who you are even if it means losing someone you love. If he doesn't love you anymore he lost someone that really cared about him. Never stop being yourself because of someone else's inability to see your worth. Keep being your beautiful self.
LittleMoments018
Nothing went wrong. You are never at fault for something some one else had decided. If people leave, simply let them go because holding on to something that does not want to be there will mentally destroy you. You do not need someone else's love to feel complete, if you learn to love yourself, or rather, love the others around you, you will become stronger as well as selfless. You will learn to be independent and to reach a content state. You will succeed if you simply stay alone. So strive to be a better you, no matter how lonely you may feel (and trust me I've been there), you will not be in this depressing state forever. If anything, accept this state loneliness/abandonment and allow yourself to be consumed by it. Allow the emotion to flood through and continue to do it until one day...it gets better (but in reality, you became stronger) and you will stop crying. The tears you went to bed with will serve a greater purpose...these tears have purpose. You will be a stronger person and you will continue to do great things solo, I promise.
Anonymous
Sometimes people just grow apart. It's probable that you didn't do anything wrong, and likewise of your partner; these things can just happen over time. I imagine that you're going through an awful lot of pain, and that's understandable; you may be dealing with a broken heart, feeling like your trust has been violated, or feeling guilty about the whole thing. I think that it is important to come to terms with what has happened, and to consider that it may not be your fault at all; there's no need to torture yourself with such harmful questions. If you really feel strongly about it, I would recommend have this discussion with your partner; they could answer this question for you much better than anyone else can.
Aina11
You didn't love yourself enough, charity begins at home, love begins from within. You don't need to validate yourself with what people think of you, you need to just learn to heal and love yourself. Self love looks simple but its a very deep intense subject and involves many stages. When you start loving yourself,understanding yourself and accepting yourself, you will start finding people who are similar to you, who will love you for who you are.
Anonymous
You did not do anything wrong. Always be yourself and love yourself first and foremost and the right person will love you for who you are.
HopefulJet61
What did you do wrong ? You probably didn't do anything some people just have very high expectations and sometimes they bring people down with them! Don't feel you did anything wrong because most of the time it isn't you!
speakwithme
If they don't love you, that is on them, not you! They are making that choice. Stay true to yourself and remember to speak kind and positive words to yourself everyday. You are awesome and worthy of love!
It's not what you did wrong its a choice that they made. Sometimes people make choices that are not right or selfish. But all we can do is accept where we are and respect the decision that they have made.
imperfectAgata
You probably did nothing wrong. Things like that just happen, sometimes people aren't made for each other. Even couples, that look like they are perfect sometimes simply can't make it. It will get better, you will find someone, who will love you just the way you are. Don't blame yourself, because I'm pretty sure that you don't have a reason to do it.
kaaylanichole1
you know that saying? " its not you, its me" take that advice, it probably wasnt you!
piag860517
if someone stop loving you for a day to another they really never loved you at all! love yourself.. when someone loves you no matter what you do...they dont stop loving you...with out a reason, maybe they were just playing...love is going to get to you, and you will know that you are perfect the way you are.
Allears247
I don't know specifically what you are speaking of, but if someone truly loves you they can't just stop at the drop of a dime. So whoever you are speaking of im sure still loves you. They just might be hurt or something.
AlyssaG
It's not always you as a person. Sometimes the person who decides to leave, does it for their own personal well being. If they think that you played your role in their life and they don't see it going anywhere, then they move onto a new chapter in their life.
KristenKc
You didn't do anything wrong. The person may have grown to not love you and its time to move on or they have simply grown up. From my experience i dated this guy for 2 years and when we broke up it was more of a mutual breakup because neither one of us loved each other like we used to.
Anonymous
First off, you are not the problem. You deserve someone who is going to love you back whole heartedly. so number one, stop blaming yourself. put your eyes in his/her perspective. Maybe the person was not ready for a relationship, maybe they didnt want to hurt you.. the possibilities are endless, but you have got to stop blaming yourself.
Anonymous
You might have not done anything wrong. you are just not what they want. you can be an awesome person, just not the awesome person in their life. they have to find what is good for them. your relationship is a two way street. you don't want to date someone who isn't feeling the same way anymore, because it will take you down a road you don't want to go down.
nothingisimpossible
You did nothing wrong and please never blame Yourself for this. You see, many humans who cannot control Love, let their Love towards someone fade away, even if It hurts them, they still don't do anything about It. I know how You feel right now, in depression, sad, angry.. A Day will come, You will meet the " right" person for You ^^, I know this will not less Your pain, but It will give You hope, even if it's very small.
cakebaker
The only wrong you did is that you were better than a love not meant to be, you deserve better and you are worth better. Its not always our own fault, sometimes its others too and sometimes its just not meant o be. You can't fit another book in a packed shelf, you need to take out some in order to make room for more. What's important is to make good memories. Have good memories.
Nithou
You did nothing wrong, every people is different, everyone is changing and going through different phases, different steps in their life, and emotions are always changing and are hard to apprehend, but don't put the blame all on yourself, every relationship goes both side.
CaptainObviouslyOblivious
February 23rd, 2016 3:06pm
I let my mental illness guide my actions and blame them for my own shortcomings. I looked at everything like I was a victim, and that I was entitled to receive more than what I had earned.
Anonymous
You may have not done anything wrong. Sometimes people just change, and as time goes on you may just have grown apart
RyleighL
You did nothing wrong! They just need to learn to love you just the way you are and appreciate all you do for the world!